Gencant
Normal
Small
Posted by elvinlord

Anyone else find themselves not being able to attend gencon miserable because of it.  Just spent to much money on nongencon stuff this year and I have be all adult.  Last time this happen I ended up making a last minute Saturday run just to get by.

Normal
Small
Posted by kiyote

You know, you *could* just be a jerk to Future ElvinLord and spend his money *now*....

Just sayin'

Normal
Small
Posted by elvinlord

I could, being a adult is hard sometimes

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks

So I'm going to paraphrase the Bad Idea Bears from Avenue Q, "It would be irresponsible not to go!"

Seriously though I'm sorry you can't make it this year and hopefully 2019 will be a great convention year for you!

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

www.gencant.com

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

I'd still try to find a way to go, even for a day.  It's Gen Con.  You really owe it to yourself and your future self to be there.  Seriously, the rest of the year will be better for you if you go.

Normal
Small
Posted by d20 sapphire

I hope you are able to find some moments to indulge your gaming pursuits in other ways.  I've had to avoid many a con or trip because I was trying to be a successful adult.  I feel your pain.  Hope that GenCon 2019 is in the cards for you. 

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9

Bummer.  Finding the line between responsibility and recreation can sometimes be difficult.  For myself, I have always prioritized GenCon highly -- even when I was an impoverished teenager.  As I get older, I find it that looking back on these events -- GenCon, travel, etc., are never with regret that I spent the money.  But, of course, we each have to find our own way. 

If you can't make it, maybe do something else in its place.  GenCon itself came into being because some Lake Geneva area wargamers couldn't make it to the International Federation of Wargaming convention, which was in Pennsylvania in 1967.

Another option, as mentioned above, would be to try to make it -- even if for just 1 day.  Of course, where you live could impact the viability of this plan.  Mike Carr, who is the only person to have attended GenCon for all 50 years, was asked at a panel last year if he ever almost missed a GenCon.  He had a story where he had a conflict one year, I can't remember if it was a wedding or something like that.  Anyway, he went out of his way to get there anyway just for a partial Con.  Might have been just Sunday.  In any case, it was important enough to him that he made it a priority.

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9 matthias9

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9 matthias9

Sorry -- duplicate.

Normal
Small
Posted by elvinlord

I am either easily persuaded or you guys nat 20ed your charisma rolls, I just bought a badge and put in for time off, gencon is looking like I will be gencon bound after all.  Thanks for all the guidance

Normal
Small
Posted by god1801

I want to thumbs up this so bad!!!

Normal
Small
Posted by elvinlord

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Right on, elvinlord!  You are going to be so glad you decided to go!

Normal
Small
Posted by elvinlord

Feeling better about august, I even managed to snag the last tickets on events I wanted and secured a room in a airbnb every thing. Thanks for the encouragement 

Normal
Small
Posted by tamwulf

Over my 23 years of service in the Air Force, I was fortunate enough to be able to attend Gen Con 15 times. I have no idea how that happened, considering schools, six month deployments, constant TDY, three wars, and being stationed overseas in special duty assignments, family, etc. etc. Yet more often then not, the stars and planets aligned for me to attend.

Being an adult sucks, Gen Con is like the ultimate disposable income event/vacation, and these days, not a lot of people have the time or money to attend. Don't be too hard on yourself! There is always next year. 

Heck, open up a savings account called "Gen Con" and throw money in it year round and don't touch it. Even if it doesn't cover the cost for the entire trip, it'll help.

Normal
Small
Posted by melkor

This will be my 34th Gencon without a miss. I did come close to missing a few times.

Hopefully you can work in a day or 2. If not, just make next year all the more awesome!

Normal
Small
Posted by elvinlord melkor

melkor wrote:
This will be my 34th Gencon without a miss. I did come close to missing a few times.
Hopefully you can work in a day or 2. If not, just make next year all the more awesome!
I have been going since 2004, missed a couple of years, once I only went for sat.  After all the encouragement I decided to go after all and not to worry about the funds and juggled some adult responsibilities around.  

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9 melkor

melkor wrote:

Lol.  You beat me!  I'm only at 33.

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

I'm jealous of you guys for your ability to be so excited about GenCon.  There's this huge event right in my back yard and I can't get excited about it.  I didn't skip it though; I scaled back to a 1 day pass.  There's really not a lot to do there. 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post