Will you collect the new Gen Con pins?
Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Link to the Pin Bazaar web site is here, but there is a lot of good info on the Facebook topic: Who will be collecting the new pins at Gen Con this year?

GC2018-R04 Rare Pin #4

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama

OK stupid question, having never shown any interest in pin collection. I see you can buy the "starter set" Are the other booths mentioned selling pins are do you have to trade for them

Just curious 

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:Are the other booths mentioned selling pins are do you have to trade for them

Some are selling them, some are giving them away with purchase, some might even give away for free if you take a demo. It's up to the individual booth.

Normal
Small
Posted by nesbit37

If it's like it was at Origins the majority will be for sale. We'll have our bee pin for our game Bee Lives: We Will Only Know Summer available for $10 at our booth. The rare pins, of which there are 4, you will need to trade for.  Apparently it is primarily certain Gen Con staffers that will have those.

Normal
Small
Posted by trace_sl

Think I will.  

Normal
Small
Posted by kellishaver

I doubt I will collect them all, but there are a few I'd like to pick up. Naturally, the one I want the most is listed as "Boot ???." I guess I'll keep checking back...

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice

Nooooope.

That seems like a hole with no end.  Best not to *ever* step into it - though I admit I peeked. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by tyrodboshi

I'm down with this!!

Normal
Small
Posted by mospinach

How does trading for a rare work? What are you trading away to get the rare pin?

Normal
Small
Posted by tamwulf mospinach

mospinach wrote:
How does trading for a rare work? What are you trading away to get the rare pin?
Typically, you trade any pin you have from the show for the pin the staff member has. As long as they don't already have the pin you are attempting to trade. The staff member is given X number of pins each day/shift or whatever, and they periodically refresh the pins throughout the day. Basically, if you want a rare pin, you need to buy the starter set or get pins from booths, find a staff member, and trade for the pin you want.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Pin trading flyer now available.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

Nope, I don’t collect the ribbons either.

Normal
Small
Posted by alans

I have <zero> interest in them.

Normal
Small
Posted by jimtullis

I picked up some of these at Origins. The Quality is top notch.
Unfortunately, the designs for GenCon did not catch my eye.

Flying Buffalo had a Super Bug pin at Origins. They have Grimtooth for GenCon.
Chip Theory Games had a skull in the center of the logo at Origins. now they have a Paizo style goblin.
Origins had a Stainless Steel Meeple.

I might pick up Grimtooth and the Horticulture Building looks cool, too bad it is rare.

For Pin Collectors: Legion Gaming Supplies had a Very Nice "Warboyz" Pin at Origins. Don't know if they'll have it at GenCon, but If you liked Fury Road, this pin is the stuff.

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21

I'm not going to spend my time on this, but I think it's a great addition and something that could grow every year.  I'm sure there will be many that love collecting the pins.

Normal
Small
Posted by jbship628

As a former Disney employee and still the owner of 2 big corkboards filled with pins, I would generally tell people to run as fast as they can away from these things!  They are a money sink that will know no bounds!

On the other hand, it totally makes sense for Gen Con to be doing this, especially with the extra space they need to fill in Lucas Oil, having a trading Bazaar there is a great idea.  

However I will say this, only having 2 pins on the starter is a BIG mistake.  There aren't enough tradeables.  Sure, you might get a pin from a booth for demo'ing a game and not really care about it, so you trade it when its convenient, but if the general rules of pin trading apply, all of the people that work for the con who will have pins, will quickly get the 2 starter pins, meaning you will have to trade one of the other pins you've obtained to possibly get one of those rare pins.  

I would have done a 4 pin starter, and had other pins at the Gen Con store for purchase so that people could load up with traders.

On the plus side, at least we don't have to worry about Chineese knockoffs yet!   (Most of these are made in China, and while the dies are supposed to be destroyed after the order is finished, they often aren't, and a bunch of much cheaper in both price and quality knockoffs currently plague Disney pin trading and have for as long as I remember.  Especially for the "rare" pins.

Normal
Small
Posted by varelseshrike

Do they cost money? Do you have to demo games? Can you walk up and get one?

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Most will be sold for $10, a few will be available with purchase or taking a demo.

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

All (well, most - I gave my packet to my Union Station team) Gen Con black vest Event Team people have the four rare badges: Sparkly D20, Orc head, Gal from the front of the Book,and Horticulture Hall; and we have been told to trade them freely. So for the Rares, see a Black Vest Event Team person.   There are also daily meetups in the Lucas Oil  Stadium "under the Horsehoe".

Roderick
Union Stationmaster 

Normal
Small
Posted by bakermouse10133

So did anyone get any cool rare pins? Never did find out when the daily meet ups were....
Did anyone collect them All?!

I didn't get them all but I did get most of the ones I was looking for, missed out on the beholder would have liked that one.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post