Auction/Consignment Store Newbie
Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

I decided to try to sell some of my culled games at the auction/consignment store this year but I need some advice about...

-What to include in the description part of the label

-What would peak your interest and make you want to purchase my game

-The best way to affix the printed label to a board game without causing damage when it's removed

-How to decide on prices

-Any other advice you may have.

I didn't know about the auction/consignment store until last year and I never made it by so this is completely new to me. 

Thank you in advance for any and all help! It's only a month away!!!!

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama

1. I give an honest used condition as well as complete or missing/damaged parts
  2. I use masking tape, not scotch tape. It's easier for them to pull off
  3. I price to sell! If a game is still in print I will look at the best amazon price and knock off a few bucks.If it's OOP I will try and sell according to what I see in the BGG Market Place,  my goal is to clear out games that are gathering dust and make room for new ones. The last thing I want to do is go back on Sunday and pick up games that did not see

Hope this helps...good luck selling

Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity

While I love the auction and consignment stores, I have to throw out this other information:

There is a board game trading session (known as a "math trade") on Friday morning. See the following link:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2010203/gencon-2018-no-ship-math-trade-ends-719-9pm-est-ex/page/1

Also, there is a virtual flea market. See this link:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/241960/gencon-virtual-flea-market-2018

These should be considered at alternatives but it depends very much on what you are trying to sell. I'll sell in the auction house if the items were more collectible or rare. Signed copies, unique items and rare games will sell much better there than through the link I've provided.

Normal
Small
Posted by falloner

As a longtime auction rat and volunteer I can definitely say:

Don't worry too much about the description. Unless their is something special or unique about the game, the box will do most of the talking for you. There simply isn't time to read a wall of text when we have push an item across the stage every 30 seconds.

If you say it's complete or near mint, it needs to be or you run the risk of your buyer inspecting it and having it returned.

Use painters tape, the blue or green masking kind. This is what we use to attach tags and seal boxes that come loose on everything but the most collectible of items. Don't use scotch/packing tape unless it is going on plastic/shrink.

Echoing what Hahnarama said: PRICE TO SELL, if you don't want to bring it home, then make your consignment store price for Saturday whatever you would be willing to get to not have to schlep it back across the country.  Be reasonable with your reserves, a higher reserve may scare away bidders who could get "roped in" with a smaller starting bid.

Do NOT expect to get retail pricing unless your game is rare/oop/extremely desirable.

You can get a good idea of what to expect for pricing by checking last years data, but don't take it as gospel. I've had items I paid $20 for in previous years go for $5 and others that I paid $10 for sell for $50 the following year.

Make sure you attend the TOVA section of the auction. Saturday afternoon prior to the charity auction. Best 3-5 hours of the entire con!

Do not waste your time with mass produced family games: there are mountains of Scene It, apples to apples, trivia and word games that don't sell for anything every year.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

The games I currently have preregistered to sell in the consignment store are...
Shadowrift 1st Edition
Food Fight
Mutant Chronicles (FFG starting set)
Tanto Cuore
Mini Monfa
Martians!!!
VS System (the 2 player starting set)
Legendary Marvel Deck Building Game
Zpocalypse
& Ninja vs Ninja

Since I plan to sell these in the consignment store should I include a more detailed description or condensed description to catch a buyer's attention?
Some of these are out of print but is describing them as 'collectible' acceptable?

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

As someone who shops in the consignment store every year, I can safely say I don't read the labels on the items except to check pricing. I'm usually looking to expand my collection of old BECMI/AD&D 1e stuff, so most of my time is in the RPG book section, but I do look at the board games. If you're not familiar with how the shop is set up, board games will be on shelves along one wall in such a way that the titles are easily seen but the auction store labels are not unless you pull the game out for a closer look.

A couple things that will make me not buy an item I'd otherwise want: 1. Misunderstanding how the prices work. I've seen prices that go up every day in the store - Friday more expensive than Thursday, and Saturday more than Friday. That's the opposite of how things are supposed to work. Prices that don't adjust at all are okay, but then there's point 2: I'm looking for a deal. Yes, I want to buy old, out-of-print stuff. I don't want to pay $35 for an old adventure module. Every year I manage to find 1-2 items in the $5-$10 range that I want for my collection, so all those things priced in the $30s and $40s get left on the tables. Perhaps someone else buys them, I don't know. But the posters above that recommend you "price to sell" are on to something. If your item is truly rare, put it in the full auction and let people have a bidding war - I've definitely seen items go for hundreds (example, a complete Dark Tower board game with the electronics still working).

Normal
Small
Posted by brumcg

What time does the auction room open on Wednesday?  (I don't see it on the site.)

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni brumcg

brumcg wrote:
What time does the auction room open on Wednesday?  (I don't see it on the site.)
It's only open for merchandise drop off on Wednesday from noon until 6PM. It opens for purchases Thursday at 10AM.

Normal
Small
Posted by fpras

If you've filled in your tags already, How fast is merchandise check in on Wednesday going these days?
(oh, and what room for the 2018 auction this year?)

Normal
Small
Posted by falloner fpras

fpras wrote:
If you've filled in your tags already, How fast is merchandise check in on Wednesday going these days?
(oh, and what room for the 2018 auction this year?)
The Auction is in the same room its been in for the last six years, right outside the dealer hall at the Georgia St entrance.

Depends on how you choose to check in your items. If you choose to check in all your items with a human being, you should plan 1 hour+ for check in. 30 minutes to an hour will be waiting your turn, unless you show up early to be among the first in line. The check in process itself takes 15 to 20 seconds per item.

Another option that has been offered for several years now is to check in via waiver. If you are willing to certify that all your items are present and properly tagged, you can sign a waiver and simply drop your items off. This usually only takes a few minutes. You do however agree to hold the auction harmless if one of your items is mislabeled, the label falls off, gets destroyed, etc... This rarely happens and the auction staff put a ton of effort in to reunite items separated from their tags.

Make sure you have your item tags printed and affixed (painters tape is your best friend here) to your items BEFORE you arrive to check them in. If you aren't 100% ready to check in when your number is called you will be sent to the end of the line.

Normal
Small
Posted by jedikitty

Do you know if the waiver option is also available for dropping off items at the consignment store?

Normal
Small
Posted by falloner jedikitty

jedikitty wrote:
Do you know if the waiver option is also available for dropping off items at the consignment store?

As long as waivers are still an option this year.  If you are only putting things into the store (no live auction items) your check in will be even faster.

Normal
Small
Posted by jedikitty

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it! :) Yeah, I'm thinking of just selling some things in the consignment store. Gathering all the info I can before I pre-register.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

What size should I print my item tags? Some of my items are on the smaller size so I was hoping to print them a little smaller. This way they don't cover too much of the box front. Is this acceptable or should I stick with the standard half page no matter what?

Normal
Small
Posted by falloner

Try to stick with the 1/2 page size. Unless you have a very high dpi laser printer, printing in smaller sizes screws with the barcodes.

For smaller items, a larger ziplock bag taped shut (with the tag inside) works really well.

Normal
Small
Posted by adcjones

One thing- there's no reason to mark prices the same as retail, or even the same as ebay or amazon.  If you want to sell something, it'll need to be cheaper, even if it's only $1 cheaper.  Last year's store was a joke as many sellers priced their items at retail or even above amazon/ebay.  Their stuff didn't sell.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

I put retail prices on a couple that I know will be for sale in the exhibit hall but for most I left that off. I put a brief description of the game, play time, # of players, age range, and a few are out of print so I put that on there too. In the description I put that they were complete, if components were bagged and one had minor discoloration to the edge of some cards so I included that too. Most of them we only played a time or two and we keep games in excellent shape. I ended up shrinking one label for Tanto Cuore since that's a very small box. I have a laser jet printer though so I don't think there will be a barcode scanning issue. I used the clean release blue painter's tape to hold the lids shut and to attach the labels. I think they're ready now! Thank you all for your advice, and any more you want to share before August is welcome! Happy selling!

New Post Sign in to write a new post.