Big old sinkhole in downtown Indianapolis.
Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2018/07/19/downtown-indianapolis-intersection-closed-due-sinkhole-threat/802459002/

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
robbo wrote:What time is that event being held? Do they take generics?

The sinkhole? My understanding is that you just walk in... ;)
Whether you want to or not.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

Illinois and Maryland is Steak and Shake.  OH NO!

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama nascragman

nascragman wrote:
Your body will thank you for that big ol hole 

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent nascragman

nascragman wrote:
Damn.  Now what will someone do if they want McDonald's quality food but served much, much more slowly?

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

I'm afraid this latest road closure may affect more than just your waist line. That's the intersection you HAVE to take to into the top level of the Sun garage under the mall. There is another entrance on Washington Street but it's one floor down and there's no guarantee that they'll let you get to the upper floor through the connection tunnel. This is also right by a lot of the hotels....I just hope it's fixed before August 2nd!

Normal
Small
Posted by rogersba

The intersection is expected to partially reopen with lane restrictions on Monday. Full repair timeline is unknown.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2018/07/20/traffic-jammed-after-another-sewer-collapse-downtown/805758002/

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
nascragman wrote:
Damn.  Now what will someone do if they want McDonald's quality food but served much, much more slowly?
McDonald's quality? That's pretty generous to Steak & Shake.

(Had it last year. Didn't like it.)

Normal
Small
Posted by jimtullis geezer

geezer wrote:
Just some information on sinkholes.  This is probably caused by a leaking water or sewer pipe.  However, if it is caused by a karst (limestone) cavity, to fix it permanently they will have to dig down to the bedrock cavity and seal it off (bridge it or add an inverted filter (large rock, geotextile, smaller rock, geotextile, and so on to the surface).  That could take more time.  However, from the estimate of 2 days, I am guessing leaking water pipe, which they will repair, then recover and repave it.  This is a very common occurrence.
Geezer, I don't think there is much Karst activity that far north in Indiana.
We have some down here in BG KY, though...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi2penkobTcAhUHnKwKHSCjACAQFghKMAo&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2Fnation%2F2014%2F02%2F12%2Fcorvette-museum-sinkhole%2F5417171%2F&usg=AOvVaw06a97spCxg7ExN2QFxNaCD

Normal
Small
Posted by dreamitdoit

Seems like the latest sinkhole issue has been resolved.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2018/07/21/indianapolis-sinkhole-threat-downtown-streets-reopen-sooner-than-expected/813455002/

Also, this thread is the first time I've ever heard McDonald's and Steak n Shake in the same sentence let alone McDonald's being characterized as better. Man, the Internet sure is great for opening your eyes to strange new opinions! :p

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

That one’s resolved, but that was the 2nd sinkhole in the downtown area in a few week period.  Waiting for the one to open right under the food trucks. :-)

Normal
Small
Posted by zelgar

Drove the intersection today going home from work.  Fortunately it shouldn't be a problem.  Of course there's issues with I65 on the N side of Downtown and they just started construction on I65 around Columbus, IN (about an hour south of Indy).

Normal
Small
Posted by alittleparrott zelgar

zelgar wrote:
Drove the intersection today going home from work.  Fortunately it shouldn't be a problem.  Of course there's issues with I65 on the N side of Downtown and they just started construction on I65 around Columbus, IN (about an hour south of Indy).
Woof... good to know. I'll be traveling along I65 for about 500 miles, going north.... thanks for the heads up!!

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent dreamitdoit

dreamitdoit wrote
Also, this thread is the first time I've ever heard McDonald's and Steak n Shake in the same sentence let alone McDonald's being characterized as better. Man, the Internet sure is great for opening your eyes to strange new opinions! :p
It's just that Steak 'n Shake advertises their "Steak Burgers" but what is that supposed to mean?  A steak is just a cut of beef.  They ground up steaks just like literally every other place that makes hamburgers.

Those shakes are pretty good though and you can't beat the variety.  I no longer yearn for the McDonald's shamrock shake because I can get minty shakes any time of year.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

With both of these sink holes opening in so short a time span, i wonder, if that means we might see More soon?

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronmlopez garhkal

garhkal wrote:
With both of these sink holes opening in so short a time span, i wonder, if that means we might see More soon?

That is a terrible misnomer. Instead of "Sink Holes" they should be called "Escape Room 2.0"

New Post Sign in to write a new post.