Open Gaming Space at JW Marriott
Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

Just making sure people saw this; it was in the newsletter a week ago, but I haven't seen any reaction to it.

Open Gaming Returns

You asked for it, and we listened! We have a large space inside the JW Marriott set aside for unscheduled gaming - check out the new games you just picked up, play an old favorite, reconnect with your gaminggroup, or make new friends. The possibilities, like the gaming, are completely free and open to anyone with a Gen Con badge.

Hours: Thursday 8 am to Sunday 4 pm

As a reminder, we also have lots of tables available throughout the show. Just ask a local Event HQ and they'll be happy to assist. 

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by rong

I plan to make use of this! I do wish it was available Wed evening, but I'll make due :)

Normal
Small
Posted by brumcg

We're definitely going to use the room!

Are adult beverages permitted?

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

Hi there,

The same rules apply for this venue as any other.  Generally a venue is fine with you consuming food or beverages purchased in their venue, in any part of the venue.  You'd want to confirm that with the JW when purchasing beverages however, that they'd be ok with you taking a beverage from their bar to elsewhere in the building.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by alittleparrott rong

rong wrote:
I plan to make use of this! I do wish it was available Wed evening, but I'll make due :)
Does anyone know if there is an open gaming area for Wednesday evening?

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

Hi there,

We do not have open gaming per se, but we do have unofficial, yet scheduled, Wednesday Gaming over at the Union Station; if you go to the HQ there, and ask for a table for a certain amount of time, they can absolutely help you; there's very little time over there that there is no table free.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by alittleparrott marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
Hi there,
We do not have open gaming per se, but we do have unofficial, yet scheduled, Wednesday Gaming over at the Union Station; if you go to the HQ there, and ask for a table for a certain amount of time, they can absolutely help you; there's very little time over there that there is no table free.
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC
Thank you!

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

Hours: Thursday 8 am to Sunday 4 pm

Is there any way the time on Sunday could be extended?  I know people are planning an after the Con gaming get-together, and they were wondering about locations where they could hold it.  Since there already is this dedicated space, seems like it would be an ideal location where they could continue playing on Sunday.

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

Hi there,

We cannot extend the time officially, based on the contract with the hotel.  They may well have to strike the room immediately to be ready for something on Monday.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by rbernd

I was very happy to see this when it was posted in the newsletter. Part of my group will be staying at the JW, so this will be a perfect place for us to meet up and try out our new games. Thank you in advance! Additional gaming space is always appreciated.

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9

This is great.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth -- But, like a lot of others, we come in on Wednesday morning and leave Monday morning.  Prime times for pickup gaming are when there aren't a lot of other things to do before Con starts and after it ends (ie. Wednesday night and Sunday night).  Looking ahead to future years, that would be on my wishlist.

But, don't take that as a complaint!  I appreciate the work that went into making the above announcement possible.

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

There are a number of events for Wednesday, and plans for an after Con Sunday get together in JWM, see this thread.

Official Gen Con seems to turn into a pumpkin Sunday @ 4, so it makes sense they can't extend the contracted time with the hotel, and why they don't provide for anything after that time.

Normal
Small
Posted by aj_27

We have ticketed events at Union Station Wednesday night, but not everyone shows up and we bring extra judges in case people wander by looking for something to do (just like you!!). We would love you to stop by.
In the afternoon we are on the main floor Union Station. In the evening, we are on the balcony in at the ballroom of Union Station. 
We also accept extra players all weekend at JW Marriott Third Floor for the exact same reasons. Generics are always a good thing, and you only need a few to share a new experience. 
Good Gaming, _AJ_

Normal
Small
Posted by zaphod

This is great and all, but its really needed for Wed night...

Normal
Small
Posted by deadsaidfred

Confirming my understanding - open tables, first come, first served, etc...?    

No requirement to reserve or coordinate with the authorities?

Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin deadsaidfred

deadsaidfred wrote:
Confirming my understanding - open tables, first come, first served, etc...?    
No requirement to reserve or coordinate with the authorities?
Thanks!

There is no requirement to reserve with the HQ.  We don't want people camping out and claiming tables unless they are actually using them for active gaming.  It MAY be that the HQ at times, has to reserve a table or two in there for unexpected overflow, but that will be the exception.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

New Post Sign in to write a new post.