Selling Mtg Cards.
Normal
Small
Posted by reek

I found a few magic cards I had from a long time ago, around 30 are on the reserved list and worth quite a bit of money while others are just a few bucks a piece.  I friend told me I should take them to Gencon to sell them.  Is this something I would try to sell at the Auction house or somewhere else?

Normal
Small
Posted by trace_sl

There are dealers in the exhibit hall that buy and sell them.  Remember to check value ahead of time to get an idea of worth but understand you will not get that price.  

Normal
Small
Posted by hibouphoto

You will get less from the dealers than you would selling them off on online auction or trade sites.  
I sold my collection at Gencon in 2015 and did so because of the convenience of being able to sell it all at once.     Most of the time you will be getting cash. If you are selling off allot it might be worth checking to see if you bank has a branch in Indy.

Normal
Small
Posted by jimrules27

I would suggest visiting multiple dealers and see who offers the best price.  If you don't want to deal with selling online then selling to a dealer is probably best.  Another option would be attending a Grand Prix Magic event near you where sometimes buy list prices are better.

Normal
Small
Posted by voice_of_reason

Reek, Hibouphoto is right.  While you'll have the convenience of likely selling them all at once, I seriously doubt you'll get a fair deal.  I guess it depends on your needs.  If you just "found" the cards, likely you forgot about them.  Unless you're desperate for the funds, I'll would strongly encourage you to find another venue for getting rid of them.

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronmlopez

You never get retail value from someone who has to sell them at retail for a profit. This is how businesses work. You can only sell them for retail price to an individual who is willing to pay your asking price. If I were in the business of buying/reselling MTG cards, you can bet that I would pay less than half of the retail value in case it depreciates before I can resell it. I'm sure the people who set up at Gen Con are doing something similar.

Normal
Small
Posted by san_fan_49

Don't use dealers. Sell yourself direct either at auction, ebay, online marketplace.

If you decide to put them in the auction, give a heads up. I would gladly take a look

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9

You can probably get more in an online sale, it's true.  But, that has nuisances in other ways.  For example, you ship the card and then the person says it wasn't in the condition as advertised.  That is the part I've never wanted to deal with.  Instead, I'd prefer to just deal face to face with a dealer and be done with even if I don't maximize the number.  If you're selling several things it can all get done quickly to 1 person. 

It depends on what is important to you.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978

As someone whose done both:

1. Dealers - you'll usually get around 50% of retail value, condition matters a lot.

2. eBay - you'll maybe get 80% of retail value on a good day, then you'll pay 13% in fees to PayPal and eBay, then you'll have to ship it and if anything goes wrong, or the buyer is a ripoff artist, PayPal/eBay will tend to side with the buyer and you'll be out of luck.

You can go to mtggoldfish.com and search for your cards, matching printing set, select "paper" prices, and click the "Buylist Prices" button to see what stores will pay you for it.  Cardkingdom.com usually has the best buylist prices in my experience.

If you sell to someone big like Start City Games, Channel Fireball, or Cool Stuff Inc at Gen Con you're not going to get ripped off, you just have to understand that 50-66% of retail is what you can expect.

Normal
Small
Posted by reek

Thank you all for your advice.  The cards I have that are worth anything are mostly reserved cards from the Urza's block.  I valued only 30 of the cards to be around 600 dollars......with a ton of the other cards being worth 5 to 10.  If I can find someone who will give me 400 dollars for all of them I would probably be pretty happy.

Normal
Small
Posted by jimrules27 reek

reek wrote:
Thank you all for your advice.  The cards I have that are worth anything are mostly reserved cards from the Urza's block.  I valued only 30 of the cards to be around 600 dollars......with a ton of the other cards being worth 5 to 10.  If I can find someone who will give me 400 dollars for all of them I would probably be pretty happy.
Depending on what they are and on condition I would gladly take a look.
james_kirk27
at 
yahoo
if you want to email me since I don't think we can PM here.

Normal
Small
Posted by esmith7075 reek

reek wrote:
Hi reek,

I would gladly give you 400 cash in hand for the cards. Text me at Seven four Oh Seven Oh Seven Four Four Five Four I'll free here Wednesday and Thursday

Normal
Small
Posted by xone0101

Is there any sort of flea market for cards like the board game one on bgg here? I found a beta edition card still near mint in my old collection that I want to unload and it would be nice to get a good price for it.

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

Guys, there is no buying or selling allowed here on the forums. Take it to private email.

Roderick Robertson
Gen Con Forum Moderator

New Post Sign in to write a new post.