Wednesday passes?
Normal
Small
Posted by wdmartin

I'm planning on GM'ing a one-shot on Wednesday, the day before the convention officially starts.  It's not an official event.  When I asked earlier, people suggested that the easiest way to do this would be to gather my players, show up at one of the HQs on the day and ask for a table.  So that's what I'm planning to do.

The question now is: two of my four players do not have badges, because they hadn't been planning to attend GenCon.  Do they need one for Wednesday?  I looked for some way to buy a Wednesday pass for them, but couldn't find one.  I want to make sure that everything's kosher and we're all good to play.

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

They do not. Wednesday events are free! Trade day notwithstanding, of course.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

In general, you need a 4-Day or Thursday badge for events on Wednesday. (The block party is open to all though.)

I would think you'd need badges if you want to use Gen Con space on Wednesday, such as at Union Station.

Normal
Small
Posted by autumn67

If you do it at Scotty's Brewhouse for the Refried Gamers?(don't remember the group name) get together. You should be fine. 

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

This was a big question I had and I don't think it makes any sense to require badges for Wednesday events, because the badges are only good Thurs-Sun.

Normal
Small
Posted by voice_of_reason

@ wdmartin:  You'll be fine.  It sounds like you just want to run/play a game with your friends.  Don't stress and have a good time.  Nobody is going to check your friends for a badge on Wednesday.  Honestly, if you're just playing an unofficial game with your friends in a public area nobody will ask you for your badges at any time.  I've only attended Gen Con about 8-9 times, but I've never seen or heard anything about what you're planning on being an issue.  Personally, I would recommend either Scotty's or The Ram for you & your group so you can have dice in one had and a beer in the other. 

@ rayken:  I think the group you're thinking of is (or rather was) the Kentucky Fried Gamers.  I ran an event for them last year.  It's my understanding that 2017 was their last year running Wednesday events.  It was a great group of wonderful people.  I know it will be missed.  Perhaps a new group has (or will) form to fill the void.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke voice_of_reason

voice_of_reason wrote:I think the group you're thinking of is (or rather was) the Kentucky Fried Gamers.  I ran an event for them last year.  It's my understanding that 2017 was their last year running Wednesday events.  It was a great group of wonderful people.  I know it will be missed.  Perhaps a new group has (or will) form to fill the void.

It has. This year, Re-Fried Gamers are running Wednesday events.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by alans wdmartin

wdmartin wrote:
I'm planning on GM'ing a one-shot on Wednesday, the day before the convention officially starts.  It's not an official event.  When I asked earlier, people suggested that the easiest way to do this would be to gather my players, show up at one of the HQs on the day and ask for a table.  So that's what I'm planning to do.
The question now is: two of my four players do not have badges, because they hadn't been planning to attend GenCon.  Do they need one for Wednesday?  I looked for some way to buy a Wednesday pass for them, but couldn't find one.  I want to make sure that everything's kosher and we're all good to play.
I don't know if there will be any way to do this on Weds, as far as asking at HQ, since the Halls aren't open. ... :)

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

Hi there,

Badges are not required for anything on Wednesday; it's an unofficial day.  That said, you can go to the Union Station HQ on Wednesday, and ask for a table; if they have one free, they'll direct you to it.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:Badges are not required for anything on Wednesday; it's an unofficial day.

Ah, shows what I know. Thanks for the correction.

Roderick said you need a 4-day or Thursday badge, but I see he was referring to getting event tickets.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by wdmartin

Ah, an official response!  That's very helpful.  We'll just go to the Union Station HQ and take it from there, then.

Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
Hi there,
Badges are not required for anything on Wednesday; it's an unofficial day.  That said, you can go to the Union Station HQ on Wednesday, and ask for a table; if they have one free, they'll direct you to it.
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

New Post Sign in to write a new post.