Looking for pickup CoC & Unknown Armies games
Normal
Small
Posted by qspiddy

It's my first year at GenCon and I really want to focus on RPGs as my game group at home is pretty tabletop-centric. I got a few tickets to some CoC games but most sold out too fast for me to get in, and Unknown Armies was a complete whiff.

If anyone's hosting any CoC or UA RPGs and looking for players I'd love to join! I've played CoC 7E a few times and GMed one session. Never played UA but would love an opportunity.

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronmlopez

I recommend getting a few generics and going to one of the games. Sometimes there are no-shows and if so, they allow those with generics to fill the slots. (You would actually be surprised at how often this happens at conventions as many people overbook themselves and then remember they have to eat/sleep/etc. and are too worn out to attend events they paid for.) Some GMs have a couple extra spots per table reserved for those with generics. For example, if a D&D game has a table maximum of 7 for Adventurers League, the event host may only post 6 seats available for signups and have one spot for 1 additional seat for someone holding generics (coordinated through the Gen Con events team). 

Some of the games also have space around the tables for people to observe (though there are very few places during Gen Con that have extra room for this, it does happen occasionally). 

Your post stated you got a few tickets to the CoC games, and if that is true, even though they are sold out now, your spot is already reserved. If you meant to say "I was intending on getting a few tickets to CoC games"... then generics are the way to go!

Normal
Small
Posted by qspiddy

Thanks! I've reserved some generics and will come by some of the sessions to see if there is room.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

GenCon has shown me tons of games I ended up loving far more than the games I actually came to play. 

You may be surprised what you find by just demoing in the hall and looking at all the events on your own.

Normal
Small
Posted by qspiddy

That's great and I plan to! I'm also planning to drop by Isle of Misfits Games on Demand to play random Indie RPGs, run the Orc 5k, and do a bunch of other stuff. Nonetheless I rarely have the opportunity and time to play RPGs at home and I've been reading about Unknown Armies for a couple years now. So if not at Gencon, when?

New Post Sign in to write a new post.