Arriving in Cincinnati need help renting a car
Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

Difficult to guess how much Uber/Lyft will charge for any given ride, since they use a variable pricing scheme based on volume, time-of-day, etc.  They also sometimes have a surcharge for airports.  Note that Lyft is supposed to have deals & special ranges for Gen Con, so they may have better pricing, at least in Indy, for those days.  Really, the only way to know what the price of the ride will be is when you request it.

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

On average how much would it be? Is it like a 5 mile ride from CVG to the Mega Bus terminal?

Normal
Small

Download the apps, put in the locations, and see what the charge is.  You don't have to actually schedule the ride.

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000 buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:
Download the apps, put in the locations, and see what the charge is.  You don't have to actually schedule the ride.
Thanks. I did that on my PC. $25 using UberX CVG Airport to the Megabus terminal. Then $12 using Megabus to Indy. Car rental is about $420 for 1 week. Yes, got to check if they charge extra for crossing state lines. Update: Enterprise doesn't charge extra for crossing State lines. The quote I get from the phone is different than online for some reason. I may take the Uber and bus after all and rent if needed in Indy.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

As long as you have the Uber/Lyft app on your phone, you can get a ride pretty much anywhere.
So you're good on that.

The only thing you have to plan for now is getting from Cinci to Indy and Indy back to Cinci. So just look for two megabus tickets around your flight arrival and departure time and you're good to go.

You could also rent a car, drive to Indy, return car in Indy, the rent a car in Indy to drive back to Cinci and just Uber/Lyft around town.

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

If I don't rent a car at the airport where is the next closest location so I can shuttle to the airport. I heard locations outside the airport offer cheaper rentals.

Normal
Small
Posted by darkeldar

The Enterprise I gave you the number for looks to actually being "across" the street from CVG, give them a call. And I'm not associated with Enterprise, but they've done me good for my GenCon travels.

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000 darkeldar

darkeldar wrote:
The Enterprise I gave you the number for looks to actually being "across" the street from CVG, give them a call. And I'm not associated with Enterprise, but they've done me good for my GenCon travels.
Is that toll free?

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000 don_1000

don_1000 wrote:
darkeldar wrote:
Is that toll free?
Erlanger - Dixie Highway Hertz location is about $220 but I have to arrange a ride there and back. Booking thru Alamo at the airport is $369 and I get a smaller car. The number and location you gave me, the cost is $440 for 1 week.

Normal
Small
Posted by darkeldar

No 859 is the local exchange, as I prefer to talk with a location personally, especially if I was planning on them picking me up at the terminal. 855-266-9289 is their national toll free reservation number. They listed the compacts for $340 US.

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

I think I will take an Uber from airport to the Hertz just outside as I save $150 and get a larger car to boot.

Normal
Small
Posted by darkeldar

Have a safe trip then, and maybe, I'll run into you (but not in that way).

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000 darkeldar

darkeldar wrote:
Have a safe trip then, and maybe, I'll run into you (but not in that way).
Thanks for your help. Yes, maybe I will ser you at the con.

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

UBER question: Can I schedule 3 days in advance a Uber pickup? Or is it better to do it the day I need it?

Normal
Small

Do it when you’re there, especially if you are arriving on a flight. You’re lucky if you arrive within 30 mins of the scheduled time,

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

I arrive at 8:53 am so I should use Uber at that time while waiting for my baggage? Never used it before hope it works.

Normal
Small

Have you never flown and checked a bag?  I can’t even remember all the times my bags were sent to the wrong location, even with Priority tags.  Luckily, just delayed, never lost. 

Wait until you have bags in hand. You also have to see if the airport has designated pickup zones; you’ll need to be in one of those when you request the ride.

Normal
Small
Posted by dranthor

most rental cars now have gps so they can see where the cars are going. I wouldn't assume they wouldn't know if you go out of state.

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000 dranthor

dranthor wrote:
most rental cars now have gps so they can see where the cars are going. I wouldn't assume they wouldn't know if you go out of state.
I was assured by Hertz that I can go anywhere. They don't have GPS in my car, so I need to bring my own. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can arrive safely on time and get that Uber ride to the car rental place on time.

Normal
Small

They don’t have a navigation GPS, but they have GPS trackers.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post