Wrinkle time
Normal
Small
Posted by pinheadjo

Well, this year has been a total bag of cats.

Managed to somehow snag a VIG badge...out of the blue.

Managed to save almost $4000 for Gen Con...a new record for me. Lots of things to buy, and see...totally ready for the best Gen Con since the last one (last year).

And now...ta da...my wife has a detached retina and will need to have emergency eye surgery Friday (tomorrow) morning. 
Afterwards she MUST stay face down (eating sleeping resting everything) for 7 (seven) days... Had to rent special equipment..chair, sleeping mat, mirror thingy for watching TV...the works. All of this wonder taking place through the time my sons and I are planning to be at Gen Con!

SO...do I stay or go (we have been married for 40 years, so she knows what is in my heart of hearts). She says the money has been paid, I need to go...but how do I justify it?

Really in a dilemma here...

Was wondering how many others are facing a choice like this....

pinheadjo

Normal
Small
Posted by kellishaver

Oh, wow that's awful, I'm so sorry you guys are going through that. :( Best of luck to your wife.

On an emotional level, I'd want my husband home if it were me, but I live with a fairly high risk of retina detachment (and a very poor chance of successful re-attachment) in my only eye, so my situation's a little bit different. 

At the same time, I'd feel super guilty and awful about asking him to stay home and ruining a thing he'd spent a lot of money on and saved for and looked forward to all year.

Is there someone who could stay with her if you did go? 

If I were in your wife's shoes and had close friends or family to stay with me during those days, I'd probably tell my husband to go, too.

But there again, if you do go, would you even be able to enjoy it?

It's a tough call and there is no right or wrong, only what's best for the two of you, and you guys know that a lot better than the internet does. I really sympathize, though and wish you all the best.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

I’d see if I could get anyone else to help out, if I couldn’t I would stay. Sorry for your situation.

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks

Completely my own opinion and not wanting to judge anyone else on what they would decide.

With that said, money is... just money and there will be a Gen Con next year, and the year after that for that matter. However a spouse that has been with you for 40 years and really needs help right now... 

However, I would absolutely contact Mike Boozer and see if there is anything at all they can do for some kind of a refund given your unique situation. 

Regardless, best of luck for your wife's recovery. 

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Oh, no! What a tragedy. What a difficult decision.

Best wishes to your wife.

Normal
Small
Posted by dgoodchild

If it were just you going, I wouldn't hesitate to say "stay, duh". 
But you mentioned that your kids were going with you so now I have to wonder (and only you know the answer for your wife) "wound she feel guilty if they miss the trip"? 

Will there be other family and / or friends who can look after her? 

Do you believe that she wants you to go, or stay?

Normal
Small
Posted by pinheadjo dgoodchild

dgoodchild wrote:
If it were just you going, I wouldn't hesitate to say "stay, duh". 
But you mentioned that your kids were going with you so now I have to wonder (and only you know the answer for your wife) "wound she feel guilty if they miss the trip"? 
Will there be other family and / or friends who can look after her? 
Do you believe that she wants you to go, or stay?
Wife is a real trooper. SHe says definitely go to Gen Con. The boys and I will be here for the first 4 days of her situation.
We spent all of last night going over everything we could think of that would help. Removing shelves from Refrigerator in order to get water / drinks / food down low enough. Planning where furniture will be moved. How to situate everything she will need.
There is family close by who are going to check in with her several times a day.
SO...it looks like I am a Gen Can again...unless there are complications.
Fingers crossed.

pinheadjo

New Post Sign in to write a new post.