Food Truck Questions
Normal
Small
Posted by manimal

First time attending Gen Con and I have a couple of questions about the food trucks? Is there anywhere outside to sit and eat if you order food from the food trucks? Will the convention center/Lucas Oil Stadium allow you to bring food from the food trucks inside?

Normal
Small
Posted by darkeldar

Yes, and I haven't had an issue inside the ICC itself. If you partake of the biergarten, you will have to stay there till you finish your beer.

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks darkeldar

darkeldar wrote:
Yes, and I haven't had an issue inside the ICC itself. If you partake of the biergarten, you will have to stay there till you finish your beer.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that it is legal to walk around Indianapolis with an open container. 

Normal
Small
Posted by darkeldar

Sun King has a "biergarten" surrounded by several food trucks, as long as you are old enough you can enter, you just can't take anything alcoholic out. 

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce manimal

There are some tables/chairs at the trucks outside the ICC, but there generally aren't anywhere near enough for everybody.  You need to be willing to sit on steps/ledges/concrete or eat standing if you want to stay outside.  There is a large concrete square steps away from the food trucks that would be amazing if they'd fill with tables, but never do.

I think officially bringing food into the ICC isn't allowed, but unless you're acting outside of what people generally think is reasonable it isn't enforced.  However, there also isn't nearly enough table space for everybody to eat there either, so plan on floor or standing.

The security people at Lucas Oil entrances seem to be generally more strict than the ones in ICC.  I find that odd because I think they have the same attire so probably same company.  You may have less luck bringing outside food in there.

Normal
Small
Posted by manimal

Will they let someone under 21 into the biergarten if they don't drink alcohol or is the area completely restricted to 21 and older?

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce manimal

I forget if you can get in or not, but the space for the biergarten isn't really all that large.  If you have a mixed age group it certainly would be possible for some to stand just outside the waist high fence and some to stand in and carry on a conversation.  It's just a relatively small area fenced off in the space that holds all the food trucks.

Normal
Small
Posted by ar6474 aegoce

aegoce wrote:
There are some tables/chairs at the trucks outside the ICC, but there generally aren't anywhere near enough for everybody.  You need to be willing to sit on steps/ledges/concrete or eat standing if you want to stay outside.  There is a large concrete square steps away from the food trucks that would be amazing if they'd fill with tables, but never do.
I think officially bringing food into the ICC isn't allowed, but unless you're acting outside of what people generally think is reasonable it isn't enforced.  However, there also isn't nearly enough table space for everybody to eat there either, so plan on floor or standing.
The security people at Lucas Oil entrances seem to be generally more strict than the ones in ICC.  I find that odd because I think they have the same attire so probably same company.  You may have less luck bringing outside food in there.
We have brought food in our backpacks every time we go and we have never been stopped. We have snacks and maybe a PB&J. 

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

Normally for temporary beer areas they will probably enforce the 21+ rules.  Give that it is a small area and there is no reason to be in the area beyond the beer.

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce ar6474

ar6474 wrote:We have brought food in our backpacks every time we go and we have never been stopped. We have snacks and maybe a PB&J. 

Yeah, they're not doing searches but at the Lucas Oil side I wouldn't be 100% confident I'd be able to walk in holding a to go container from a food truck in my hands.  It's entirely possible I'm overly cautious, but I'm pretty sure I've seen people have problems with the guards at the top of the stairs down into Lucas Oil from the ICC hallway.  I haven't stopped to observe what those problems were.

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb brooks

brooks wrote:
darkeldar wrote:

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that it is legal to walk around Indianapolis with an open container. 

A few years ago there was a tap beer truck on Maryland, dispensing suds.  Just on the side of the road, not in a blocked off area or anything special.  

Normal
Small
Posted by adamw

I think the key to the food trucks is eating 'off hours' a bit. The lines are more reasonable and you can find places to sit.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.