What to use for storing games?
Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

If I buy some games, what should I bring with me to lug around? Only thing I got are shopping bags and a carry on with wheels, but I heard they are frowned upon. Backpacks?

Normal
Small
Posted by voice_of_reason

On behalf of other attendees, avoid bringing the wheeled carry-ons or such in the Dealer Hall.

Personally, I always bring a backpack with my daily needed items.  The last couple Gen Cons I've brought an extra canvas bag to hold my shopping.  I roll it up and keep it in the backpack until needed.  They come in many sizes so you can pick one up that's big enough for most standard sized game boxes (well, 1-2 anyway).  Since I fly in, it limits what I can bring back so a medium canvas bag serves my needs very well.

I don't know what game(s) you're thinking of so I can't imagine the size of the box.  If it's something like Gloomhaven or TI4, then you'll need a much bigger bag.  A few vendors carry those oversize shopping totes so perhaps you can score one of those if you're buying a massive size game.

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

I really want to bring my 19 inch spinner carry one luggage. It's light, easy to maneuver and I can pouch it ahead. Why would that obstruct anyone? 

My intent was not to buy any games except for promos and expansions or KS exclusive deluxe versions. Heard prices were MSRP all the time except maybe Sunday. Not going to buy anything close to Gloomhaven size as I have to fly back too.

I saw some of those easy to pack folding bags at Walmart.

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

I really want to bring my 19 inch spinner carry on luggage. It's light, easy to maneuver and I can pouch it ahead. Why would that obstruct anyone? 

My intent was not to buy any games except for promos and expansions or KS exclusive deluxe versions. Heard prices were MSRP all the time except maybe Sunday. Not going to buy anything close to Gloomhaven size as I have to fly back too.

I saw some of those easy to pack folding bags at Walmart.

UPDATE: watched a video of last year's Gencon a lot of people have backpacks so that's what I will bring.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

You'll be much happier, as will the rest of the crowd in the dealer hall, if one uses a backpack, instead of a wheeled carry on.

Normal
Small
Posted by voice_of_reason

OK, I'm a bit confused about your original post.  You mentioned the luggage and asked, so I responded and let you know it was a bad idea.  If you really want to bring a "19 inch spinner" ("for promos & expansions") then by all means go ahead.  I didn't realize you were seeking validation.  I was just offering advice based on personal and fellow con-goer experience.  Perhaps once you've attended you'll see what rhone1 & were trying to warn you about.

Secondly, I'm also confused about your shopping intent as in your original post you started with "If I buy games..."  You see, that gave me the impression you'd be buying games.  (???)

Whatever...seems you got it sorted out.

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

Being my first Gencon, I don't have much of an idea what I will be doing except looking and playing some new games at the dealer's hall. I may be buy nothing except small promos or expansions. If a new game blows me away or is hard to get then I may buy it but I have limited luggage space. I am going to get one of those folding canvas bags.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

Since it's your first GenCon, I will be blunt for you lol.

You can't really bring luggage into the hall. Get bags or backpacks.

It is literally shoulder to shoulder in many areas and there are tidal waves of people moving past you and around you at all times. You can't drag around anything on the ground behind you or push things in front of you in the crowds. You could conceivably hold your luggage in your hands. But don't attempt to wheel it behind you.

If you want to stop and look at a lot of booths and demo games, expect large crowds around you at all times and there will be no space for a luggage on the floor. The paths between booths can be narrow.

Even the huge shopping bags booths give out with large games in them around people's shoulders sometimes cause clogs.

And giant overstuffed backpacks? Yep. Those cause issues too. Just from people unaware of their surroundings, turning with huge backpacks jutting out ,etc.

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama don_1000

don_1000 wrote:
I really want to bring my 19 inch spinner carry on luggage. It's light, easy to maneuver and I can pouch it ahead. Why would that obstruct anyone? 
Why? Because in my 20+ years of going to Gen Con most people who use wheeled bags, and Zucas are the WORST, tend to over load them with 40+ lbs of reference books or every lead mini they own. If they are not pushing it on front of them as a battering ram they are taking you out as they whip around a corner and take you out at the ankles.

Please don't take this as a personal attack on you, I'm just sharing why a lot of people are against them. Yes I know I have profiled everyone who uses a wheeled bad, ZUCAS SUCK, but I have yet to have a good experience with them

ENJOY your first Gen Con and don' t let cranky old men like me ruin it for you ;) 

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

Good advice. I will be as compact as possible then, Bring a folding canvas bag.

Normal
Small
Posted by bfiggins hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
Why? Because in my 20+ years of going to Gen Con most people who use wheeled bags, and Zucas are the WORST, tend to over load them with 40+ lbs of reference books or every lead mini they own.

It's a good point; usually, if I see someone with rolling luggage at a convention, they're lugging a half-dozen board games, or a small library's worth of RPG books, or cases upon cases of X-Wing, or something like that.

You don't need to bring the convention with you! You're at GenCon already, the convention is here. Let it happen, enjoy what's around you. You aren't going to be in a situation where you're like "Oh no! We could have been playing Mansions of Madness, but now we have nothing to do!"

And if you are in a situation where you need a lot of stuff - like, you're going to be doing pickup games of Warhammer, and you *need* to have access to crates of terrain and a suitcase full of armies - I feel like it's your obligation to secure a base of operations for yourself, either a nearby hotel room or an accessible parking space.

For don_1000, it sounds like canvas bags or backpacks are the right way to go. You might find yourself buying a lot less than you think...or a lot more. If you find yourself *really* excited about buying more than you can carry, I'd just write down the booth numbers of what you want, plan an efficient route, go back and get your suitcase, and then get in, run your route, buy stuff, and get out. It's still a bit of a faux pas, but at least you'll know that you minimized your impact.

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

I got a folding duffel bag. Couldn't find canvas bags at the last minute unless those are the ones from Superstore or Sobeys.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.