Limited mobility - first time attendee
Normal
Small
Posted by guygardner2020

How easy is it to find seating if I need to rest? I got to Dragon con every year and find them there, but Indy isnt set up like Atlanta and DC's divisibility services are top notch. 

My son is a ball of energy and Im finally taking him(15yr) but i fear im going to ruin the experience for him. I couldn't find lodging in a connected hotel (I plan to use Uber). I worry we will get there and I wont be able to easily find some where to rest and ill be taking 20min Uber rides 4-5 times a day..
At DC i usually duck in to a restaurant connected to the event, or there are chairs outside of every room. Does Gen Con have a similar setup or something else?

Thanks 

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce guygardner2020

It depends a lot on what part of the convention you're at.  In the dealer hall there is basically no seating. 

The ICC hallways have some benches around plus tables/chairs at two of the three food courts, but generally you'll find people sitting on the floor next to the walls.  In the ICC gaming space it's basically all chairs all the time.  It should be easy to find some that aren't in use at the moment.  There's also a quiet room with seating intended for people that need to get away from the mass of people of the convetion, 'ball of energy' is maybe not the best thing to take into that room though.  There are a couple companies that run sort of open gaming/demo rooms around the ICC.  Assuming you're willing to game while resting your legs that could be a good option.  One is usually just up the escalator outside the dealer hall.

In the hotels there tends to be seating at the lobby or in the event rooms, I don't think I've seen a lot in the hallways outside the meeting/ballrooms.  There are at least a couple of hotels just across the street from the ICC so could easily fill the role the restaurant at DC does for you.

I think at least last year it was possible to get from the floor of Lucas Oil stadium into the stands where there would be thousands of seats to choose from.

Normal
Small
Posted by aldctjoc

To add to this: The convention center has an accessibility page:

https://www.icclos.com/accessibility.aspx

It has some descriptions of basic things, like drop-off points, elevators, wheelchair ability (for those who need one), etc. 

And agreed with the above post on the lobbies of connected hotels. I was actually tempted to nap in the Hyatt's lobby last year, the seating was that comfy. The Westin tends to be a bit too active to actually rest in their lobby, and I can't tell you about the Marriott, but the JW Marriott (yeah, that chain has two hotels downtown) seems to have a decent sized lobby and a second floor coffee/lounge area for the Starbucks customers that's available. 

Normal
Small
Posted by guygardner2020

thank you both!

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

You;ll have no problem finding seating in the convention center, where games are played, there are a lot of tables and chairs that are open and easy to find.  The dealer hall, however, will be difficult.  It is very crowded most of the time and seating there is non existent, unless you are demoing a game and then you should be able to find some.  The convention center hallways themselves have some and it is first come first served, but most Con-goers will probably give up their seats if you need one (like other Con's, it's a friendly bunch).  Restaurants will also be crowded, depending on when you go and the attached mall also has seats but will be crowded around meal time.

Normal
Small
Posted by adamw

Also, there is a 'quiet' room where you can take a break. Check that out if things get overwhelming - it's very nice!

Normal
Small
Posted by kc2dpt

I sit all the time in the dealer’s hall... while demoing games. Most booths will have chairs for this purpose.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.