If you like the Ram you better go this year
Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama

They just closed the Far North side location with no notice

https://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/2018/07/31/ram-restaurant-and-brewhouse-fishers-closes-hamilton-county/864381002/

Just a sign in the door today, other local feeds are saying downtown location could follow suit very soon

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks

Entirely possible the downtown location could close as well, but the story you linked seems to indicate that store is doing well:

Restaurant officials told IndyStar the restaurant will continue to serve patrons at its Downtown Indianapolis location on Illinois Street."Everything is happening Downtown. All sporting events. There's always something happening there, and our Downtown location remains very popular," restaurant chain spokesman Mark Schermerhorn said.

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama

PR spin.....I know someone who is a supplier of theirs things are not good

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks

If true, that's unfortunate. They have an amazing location, you have to wonder what they're doing wrong. 

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama

besides the subpar food and questionable brew? 

Normal
Small
Posted by rogersba hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
besides the subpar food and questionable brew? 

And a ton of other similar options in the area.

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb

It's sad, because they really set the bar on how to cater to the Gencon crowd with decorations, themed menu, and movies.  If some place else in Indy was doing it before them, I was not aware.   I do agree that there are many other options with similar (or significantly) better food & beer. Shorter wait times too. 

Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan

I went there once 3 years ago and I'm amazed it took this long.  Poor service, meh food.  Never went back.

Normal
Small
Posted by jayemsee

I’ll counter with saying that, although not fine dining, the RAM has become a tradition with my group and would be sorely missed. 

Normal
Small
Posted by captain 10beers

My only gripe with the RAM is you could always walk 2 blocks down the street and get about the same food and avoid the crowd and wait.

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama rodoubleb

rodoubleb wrote:
It's sad, because they really set the bar on how to cater to the Gencon crowd with decorations, themed menu, and movies.  If some place else in Indy was doing it before them, I was not aware.   I do agree that there are many other options with similar (or significantly) better food & beer. Shorter wait times too. 
Well they kind of statrted. The bar mgr at the time wanted to take it to the next level for the following year and management said no. So IndyDave quit his job went down the street to the newly opened Scotty's and the rest is history :) 

The Ram only tried to step up their game after this. 

I also have to be honest. The first 5 years that Gen Con was in Indy I rented out the backroom Wed -Sat. I filled it every night with 30-40 extended friends, It was great. Hell I think the highlight was the year Gygax walked in thinking we were the industry group he was meeting. He actually hung out with us for about 45 minutes until they arrived.

I had a signed contract for the following year when I found out, not by them contacting me, that they were giving the room to Privateer Press. I showed them the signed contract and the response was "oh well" Then they got pissed when I hauled them into court. (they settled quickly but were still dicks about it. Said I should have asked for that before legal action which I told them I tried to 3x) 

I take no pleasure in any busy failing, I mean there are no people w/o jobs that literally found out when the tried to go to work this week 

Normal
Small
Posted by hikeeba

At least I got to go once.  I'd seen so many talk about it I had to go when I saw it from the skywalk this afternoon.  I liked the vibe of the place.  Burger was actually pretty good.  Beer was meh.  Is showing movies a regular thing there?

Normal
Small
Posted by dwe113

never got to the RAM last year but Scotty's was excellent when we went.....the only place we went to twice

seemed like the line at the RAM was always huge (2017 though so ymmv)

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama

I made the mistake of eating there Sat afternoon between events. I got a seat right at the bar, and a cold beer right away. My well done burger was a different story...BLOODY and still kicking. Hey accidents in the kitchen happen. Unfortunately  none of the staff wanted to help. They said they were too busy...well too busy talking to each other. 

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded

Typically, when we pass by (which is numerous times during the con), the line is out the door for people waiting.  Any time we passed by this year, no line, and seats were open at the outdoor area. 

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

I hope the place survives. I've never had servers who were anything but nice to me, so I don't understand the stories about bad service (from what I can tell, these people are handling things a lot better than I would in their shoes).

The food's alright. Before this year, I would have said "great," but this year it wasn't anything special for the most part (the chicken strips I had were an exception in that they were pretty bad, while the fried cheese curds and hot chocolate chip cookie were pretty good; everything else was average this year).

Normal
Small
Posted by nightgaunt

Ate there for lunch on Sunday with the wife and 2 boys (ages 6 and 8).  Sat down to We Bear Bears and Spongebob on the TVs.  Food comes and it switches to Walking Dead.  Uh-oh.  Now showing junkers scene where the zombies are ground to a paste in the car grinder.  Had to physically cover our kids eyes.  People all around are chuckling and cringing as they eat.  After about 10 minutes, all TVs go back to Spongebob...

Pretty funny after the fact, but the place was filled with kids, family day at Gencon after all.  I'm guessing there were quite a few complaints on their choice of programming...

Food was good, beer was good.  Nothing too amazing, but we had a good meal and service was decent for how busy it was.  $1 kids meals were a great deal on Sunday

Normal
Small
Posted by ladyimm

My brother and I went there Friday (I think) and we had great service and great food.  (I'm still dreaming of that sandwich I had!). I don't drink anything but water so I can't attest to the brews but I thought I had my best experience ever at the Ram this year.  I hope they weather the storm!

Normal
Small
Posted by picc

I hope the downtown locations stays open. My group and I have never had anything but a wonderful experience at the Ram. Now that Champs is no longer in the Marriott the Ram was our new default goto.

Normal
Small
Posted by darkeldar

My, first year attending, grown nephews found The Ram on their own Saturday evening, while I had an 8-12 game session. They said they found a table outside and enjoyed themselves.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post