How about that Will Call line today?
Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

That was pretty massive.  It took me 9 minutes just to walk unimpeded to the back of the line.  I wonder what it was for people actually waiting in line.  Was it this bad last year?  I got a 4 day badge last year and picked it up around noon on Wednesday.  Line was about 1/6 that length.

I decided not to wait in line because.... well... I only bought a Saturday badge which I don't need until Saturday.  So I'll pick it up tomorrow when the lines are shorter.

Normal
Small
Posted by kristiana

I decided to talk to the people last night, who were waiting - and while the long was long, so long it was out the convention center - people were making it to the front in less than 2 hours. Often closer to just an hour. It's long, but GenCon staff at Will Call seem to be doing a great job getting people moving through as fast as possible.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent kristiana

kristiana wrote:
I decided to talk to the people last night, who were waiting - and while the long was long, so long it was out the convention center - people were making it to the front in less than 2 hours. Often closer to just an hour. It's long, but GenCon staff at Will Call seem to be doing a great job getting people moving through as fast as possible.
2 hours is still pretty damn long.  When I looked, it was stretching down to Lucas Oil Stadium two blocks away.

I'm not blaming Gencon for this.  I'm just saying it sucks to wait in a line that long.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

I shot this video of the line to give people an idea of the size if they didn't catch it:

https://youtu.be/wdhwNmS7y2o

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

LOL.  Was it really that bad?!

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent garhkal

garhkal wrote:
LOL.  Was it really that bad?!

Almost.  Here is the real video.  Sorry about the shaky camera.  I am not an experienced cameraman and I can't really hold it steady while walking.

https://youtu.be/XycS3Gyq4bo

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

That's just insane. I'll take the risk with the USPS, tyvm.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

Holy fudge balls fatman, that was a LONNNNGGGGG line.

IF anyone was in it out there, how long did it take to get through?

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

I'm right by the line now, and it's long. Everyone getting their Sunday badges?

Normal
Small
Posted by treelogeo

In line right now. HUGE line. Seems to be moving decently... I’ll post how long it takes. With Sunday only, you have a short window of opportunity to “explore” GenCon. I hope this doesn’t take too long. 

Normal
Small
Posted by tolstoysrage

15-20 minute line at most at the moment, and shortening.  No worries.

Normal
Small
Posted by rocksaheaddl

I can attest to a very long will call line this year.   Also I want to post a warning for future years.   
First I had asked for my badge to be placed at Will-Call.  I expected a line of maybe an hour.   When we arrived at the ICC on Thursday it was 11AM.  We were at the back of the Will Call line at 11:25 AM.   The line stretched outside and around the corner down to Lucas Oil Stadium.   We were told getting in line the estimated wait of 2 1/2 hours.   We got our packets a little after 1:30 PM  so just over 2 hours.    
Now for the astute reader they picked up on the we pronoun in all of that.   That is my second point.   I had a friend who had requested his badge be mailed.   I purchased the event tickets for both of us.   I was surprised to find out that his event tickets didn't ship with his badge and were instead waiting at will-call.    I meant to send my tickets to will call but was wrong in the assumption that his tickets would be delivered in the same manner as his badge.  Lesson learned.

Normal
Small
Posted by gamingforever

The line was absolutely insane.

Most forum advice posts before the con said that you’d spend at most 30ish minutes in line.  Not this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer gamingforever

gamingforever wrote:
Most forum advice posts before the con said that you’d spend at most 30ish minutes in line.  Not this year.

Always hard to predict when people will show up for sure. Best bet is to have your packet shipped. Anything bought on a single account is shipped, as long as you order it before the ship to me date every year. If it is bought on another account that account uses whatever method that attendee has chosen.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by algreenberg gamingforever

gamingforever wrote:
My guess is that with the faster lines the last couple years, people figured they would save $10 if they only had to stand in line for 15-30 minutes.  Of course, that increased the number of folks registering for will call and the size of the lines, especially on Wednesday night/Thursday morning.  My buddy hit will-call around 4:00 Wednesday, line halfway down the hall (towards JW) and only waited around 25 minutes....so the line moved quickly, it was just that there were soooooo many people in it this year. 

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam

Yeah. Spend the $10.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent gamingforever

gamingforever wrote:
 Yes.  Now I feel kind of bad for having said that.  I made fun of a co-worker who had his badge shipped for wasting $10 when we work half a mile from the convention center.  I apologized to him after seeing what happened on Thursday.

I may still do Will Call next year though.  I can get there right at noon Wednesday when it opens, which is what I did last year and probably ahead of many of the attendees.

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
gamingforever wrote:
 Yes.  Now I feel kind of bad for having said that.  I made fun of a co-worker who had his badge shipped for wasting $10 when we work half a mile from the convention center.  I apologized to him after seeing what happened on Thursday.I may still do Will Call next year though.  I can get there right at noon Wednesday when it opens, which is what I did last year and probably ahead of many of the attendees.

I know you are local so something else you may consider is stopping by at off times. Two years ago I couldn't sleep (stupid hotel beds) and woke up at like 5:00AM and I was literally the only person in line. If you don't mind getting up early or staying up late, that could work well. 

Normal
Small
Posted by aldctjoc lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote: Yes.  Now I feel kind of bad for having said that.  I made fun of a co-worker who had his badge shipped for wasting $10 when we work half a mile from the convention center.  I apologized to him after seeing what happened on Thursday.I may still do Will Call next year though.  I can get there right at noon Wednesday when it opens, which is what I did last year and probably ahead of many of the attendees.

Hehe... don't feel bad. My friend and I were both telling each other that the lines really weren't that bad as long as you didn't catch it at exactly the wrong time (like, say, Thursday morning). I had my badge shipped, he elected for will call, but we both figured "Eh, 20 minutes or so" for him. 

Ooops. 

Yeah, I'm definitely shipping my badge again next year.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent brooks

brooks wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
gamingforever wrote:
 Yes.  Now I feel kind of bad for having said that.  I made fun of a co-worker who had his badge shipped for wasting $10 when we work half a mile from the convention center.  I apologized to him after seeing what happened on Thursday.I may still do Will Call next year though.  I can get there right at noon Wednesday when it opens, which is what I did last year and probably ahead of many of the attendees.

I know you are local so something else you may consider is stopping by at off times. Two years ago I couldn't sleep (stupid hotel beds) and woke up at like 5:00AM and I was literally the only person in line. If you don't mind getting up early or staying up late, that could work well. 

I'm an early bird and usually wake up about 4 or 5 AM which is early enough to get down to the convention center.  I'd just worry about finding a sufficiently close parking space since, although I don't mind going that early, I kind of don't want to stick around for several hours waiting for actual events to start.  I may do this next year if the Will Call line is insane at noon on Wednesday.  I just have this mental block that won't let me pay $10 to have something shipped to me when that thing exists in a 15 minute walk from a place I spend 1/3 of my weekday.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post