Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
brooks wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
gamingforever wrote:
The line was absolutely insane.
Most forum advice posts before the con said that you’d spend at most 30ish minutes in line.  Not this year.
 Yes.  Now I feel kind of bad for having said that.  I made fun of a co-worker who had his badge shipped for wasting $10 when we work half a mile from the convention center.  I apologized to him after seeing what happened on Thursday.I may still do Will Call next year though.  I can get there right at noon Wednesday when it opens, which is what I did last year and probably ahead of many of the attendees.

I know you are local so something else you may consider is stopping by at off times. Two years ago I couldn't sleep (stupid hotel beds) and woke up at like 5:00AM and I was literally the only person in line. If you don't mind getting up early or staying up late, that could work well. 

I'm an early bird and usually wake up about 4 or 5 AM which is early enough to get down to the convention center.  I'd just worry about finding a sufficiently close parking space since, although I don't mind going that early, I kind of don't want to stick around for several hours waiting for actual events to start.  I may do this next year if the Will Call line is insane at noon on Wednesday.  I just have this mental block that won't let me pay $10 to have something shipped to me when that thing exists in a 15 minute walk from a place I spend 1/3 of my weekday.
Time is money. I’m not going to wait an hour or more when I wait 0 minutes for $10.

Normal
Small
Posted by nikas zekeval gamingforever

gamingforever wrote:
The line was absolutely insane.
Most forum advice posts before the con said that you’d spend at most 30ish minutes in line.  Not this year.

I got a late start, and rolled into Indy right about 11PM.  I decided to just grab my stuff before heading to my offsite hotel.  I though, "It's late, should be able to pop in and out, fifteen, twenty max."

Yeah, when I got there, the line just got back in the doors down by Hall A.  Still I parked at the Crowne Plaza lot, and from rolling in to driving back out was just under an hour.

Still, if I can't get a downtown room I'm shipping next time.  The best case parking costs of rolling in the night before long enough to grab your stuff is nearly as much.

Conversely parking was even better this year.  Twice in the mall, once each at the Crowne Plaza, Lucas Field, and State employee parking structure (forgot some stuff at the hotel on Friday, and to drive back between games to get it), and even the dreaded construction wasn't too hard to navigate from the NW side of town.

Zombieland Rule #1 applies to Gencon however, had plenty of times going from one end to the other.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.