Best Gaming Experience This Year?
Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

What was your best gaming experience at this year's Con?  Did your group beat the bad boss in a RPG game?  Maybe you stumbled across a game that you can't wait to play at home?  I'm sure there are some cool stories out there.

For me it was playing in a True Dungeon event with a group of new players with no True Dungeon experience and no crazy uber powerful tokens and making it to the end (and making it out alive) of the Viper's Pit event.  Such a cool experience when everyone works together and has fun.

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

Running in a BMG event and the group agreeing to keep the barbarian with the berserker axe from getting a chance to rage (the barbarian role-playing the Tackleberry temper tantrum when we killed everything before he could rage was classic).

Normal
Small
Posted by wolnir

Tied between a hilarious Cyberpunk 2020 game - "Who are these guys now?" - and the "Assault on Singularity Base" Cypher System multi-table game.

Normal
Small
Posted by uriel-393

Well, I finally got to *play* Fantasy Age (I GM it), but honestly, the best gaming experience was that on Saturday night, after BMG had already started their last session (We missed it), my friend Aaron trekked from hid 8 hr RPG to run an adventure for my friend Egan, and I. 4,5,6 PCs? Ha, we Power-Duo'd through a pile of ghasts, flaming skulls, and ghouls...we beat an ancient sage in Dragon Chess, and put down a Necromancer who was animating fallen heroes with some unholy Cyst-Artifact. Egan was a Halfling Diviner 5, I was Milo Jagyn, my Human  Fighter/Battlemaster 6.
End of game, we are out of Lucky rolls, spells, Second Wind, whatever... Egan was dropped by a Blight,,, but rolls a Nat 20, shoots blind (Nec is running Improved Invis), hits her, even @ Disad. I roll a '20' right after, get a general idea of her location, swing with Disad, but hit, and slay her... We stumbled out of that tomb with 1 HP (Him), and about 15/58 for me.  One of the best sessions of play that I've had in quite a while, as far as cooperation, hilarity, and good company.

Normal
Small
Posted by uriel-393

Normal
Small
Posted by jpederso

Best gaming experience this year was Cthulhu Clowns, the Thursday 9AM CoC.  GM was terrific and the gaming group was great.  Best non-gaming experience was the "Eye of the Beholder" documentary on Saturday night.

Normal
Small
Posted by skilletaudio

Playtesting Trogdor with the Chapman brothers was a really cool time, and Parsely with Andy Loony was a friggen hoot.

Both groups were full of people just having a great time and laughing it up.

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord

Do I have to be the one to say it?  NASCRAG!

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager skilletaudio

skilletaudio wrote:
Playtesting Trogdor with the Chapman brothers was a really cool time, and Parsely with Andy Loony was a friggen hoot.
Both groups were full of people just having a great time and laughing it up.
Where were they playtesting Trogdor, and how did I miss that?

Normal
Small
Posted by algreenberg bithlord

bithlord wrote:
Do I have to be the one to say it?  NASCRAG!

Absolutely! As much fun as it was to be a villain, acting in self interest, trying to save the city, it was even more fun the next evening playing his imaginary friend, armed with doses of bubble bath! It was my first time playing with NASCRAG, it won't be my last!

Normal
Small
Posted by kc2dpt

Running into Quinns and Matt from SU&SD. 

Photo with a guy cosplaying from the same show as I. 

Photo with Pinky Pie. 

Autograph from the guy who made Century. 

Gaming with my friends who I only see at gencon. 

Best though, I ran something never before done at gencon and it was a huge success. I’m so happy I was able to bring something I love (gunpla) to gencon. 

Normal
Small
Posted by skilletaudio andrewj.rager

It showed up in the events system a few weeks ago IIRC - two sessions at the Westin.

Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity

Photo with Matt Vancil from the Gamers. It was the last thing I'd expect while walking to the My Little Pony RPG...

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronmlopez

As a player: Being in a game of 7th Sea that John Wick ran. It was excellent!

(Note: I also ran 7th Sea games throughout Gen Con)

As a GM: My Saturday night group was hilarious! 

Normal
Small
Posted by cburgs

Playing Trogdor and getting my photo with the Chapmans was amazing and wonderful! Also, I really, really enjoyed 13th Age in Glorantha with Rob Heinsoo and Night of the Masks!

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks

National Security Decision Making on Wednesday night. I'd never played the game but it was extremely well-organized with staff and volunteers, easy to learn, and great fun to play. Will definitely be checking them out again next year. 

Normal
Small
Posted by ladyimm

Nascrag was a hoot :). I rather enjoyed that!

I loved getting into the quarter-finals of the Ticket-to-Ride tournament - darnit, though, I lost!

And the Blizzard ads for their games were a great time to watch.

Next year, if I get to come? More RPGS!

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

I'd say the most fun I had was with the game I ran ("Rick & Morty: Ricksourcing the Revolution"). It was so much more fun running a rules-light game that was meant to be comedic (as opposed to attempts to run an epic-feeling story with a more complicated system, like I've done at previous GenCons), and everyone at the table seemed to be having a blast.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.