What Will You Do Differently Next Year?
Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent braewe

braewe wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
Next year I might splurge and park in the lot at the mall.  Since I work in downtown Indianapolis, I have a space in a garage at the corner of New Jersey and Market Streets.  I pay $105 a month for it, which thankfully comes out of pre-tax dollars thanks to a benefit I have through work.  This year and last year, I parked there.  Problem is that this lot is about a mile away from the convention center.  It can be tiring to walk all that distance after a long day at the convention.
So I may put some extra money in my parking fund and just grab a spot at the mall for the 4 days of the convention next year.
You could also taxi back to the garage? We did that one year when it was just TOO hot and humid to walk. Totally worth, in my opinion--and cheaper than the mall parking lot even if you did it both ways.
Calling a taxi for just a mile seems silly.  Besides, I don't carry a cell phone and couldn't do it anyway.

Normal
Small
Posted by cjwynes rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
For me it will be get to Gen Con earlier.  This year my group and I arrived Thursday evening.  I'm glad we went and had a great time, but not arriving Wednesday wasn't the best.
I also plan on playing more D&D Adventurers League events next year.  Those are always a lot of fun and I only got to play in one this year.
I managed to do 3 of the 4 "Intro to Adventure" D&D low-level quests this year, and this year Baldman Games *wrote* them so I got the guy who wrote #2 as our DM for that quest.  I really like those.  At some point I should run a higher level one, I only ever play D&D at GenCon and I finally played enough this year I had to look up how to level up and had no idea where to buy a D&D player handbook in the vendor hall.  They really have the queuing process so smooth now, seemed like people were able to easily get into open table slots even w/o a reserve ticket.

With ya on getting in early if possible next time.  I've been saying for a couple years that I wanna get in on Wednesday to do the opening night party.  Thursday morning is one of my favorite times at the con actually, easier time finding events as everyone is hassling with will call ;-)

Normal
Small
Posted by pinheadjo

For me and the boys...we plan to stay on Sunday as well instead of leaving early. Might be dicey with parking, but we want to try. 

Normal
Small
Posted by melkor

My friends and I for many years now, have been meeting up the Saturday
or Sunday before Gencon, and staying until the Monday after. That way we
can pre-hit our favorite restaurants, activities, etc...,without having to fight crowds.
Also, it's nice to sleep in a bit after powering through Gencon, and post celebrating
on Sunday

Did the axe throw place and the punch bowl bowling place for the first time this year.
DEFINITELY both are now on the annual tradition list.

As far as different or new, dragging my bass guitar to Slippery Noodle's open mic
Blues Jam on Wednesday, hitting the local Museums, and going to a game at Victory Field
are all on my 'nearly did it this year, for sure next year' Gencon bucket list.

Normal
Small
Posted by melkor

[This post has been removed]

Normal
Small
Posted by melkor

...oh and Cthulhu, been wanting to try it out for years, but my gaming group
is meh about trying it out. Will actually sign up for a game next year.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

Leave Werewolf at midnight - all three nights.

Normal
Small
Posted by enilc

Stayed at the airport hotel this year.  Much cheaper room.  Lyft was $10-$12 each way.  Pretty convenient.

When I rolled in on Thursday morning, very glad I had had my 4-day mailed.  Bought three Saturday badges for friends on-site in about 15 minutes.

That said, I think this was my last pass purchase year.  Short of the expo floor and main gaming halls, it was not needed.  Neither of those were my main reasons for attending.  I'll pocket the $$ saved and attend the other events.  

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronr enilc

enilc wrote
That said, I think this was my last pass purchase year.  Short of the expo floor and main gaming halls, it was not needed.  Neither of those were my main reasons for attending.  I'll pocket the $$ saved and attend the other events.  

You need a badge in order to attend the other events too. Unless you mean that next year you aren't attending Gen Con.

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer enilc

enilc wrote:

If by “pass”, you mean badge, that’s not an option. You must have a badge to purchase event tickets, even for events held outside the ICC.  Without a badge, about all you can do is wander the outer halls of the ICC & watch the performances.  I guess you could game with people in the hotels, but coming to Gen Con to do that seems a bit excessive.

Normal
Small
Posted by enilc aaronr

aaronr wrote:
enilc wrote

You need a badge in order to attend the other events too. Unless you mean that next year you aren't attending Gen Con.
While I appreciate that that is the written rule, the only time anyone checked my badge this year was walking onto Expo floor.

GenCon has a lot of written rules that are not followed (by players and staff.)  The main halls have gotten over-crowded, over-expensive, and over-complicated to manage and play in.  I feel pretty confident that I can do about 70% of what I did this year without cutting any corners (according to the rulebook.)  I could probably do about 90% if I wanted to be sneaky, but I don't want to take any money from any DMs/game-runners.

Between the 5 of us, we figure we'll save $700+ next year.  We'll see how it goes.  It's only a 2hr drive to Indy, so nbd.

Normal
Small
Posted by elvinlord

You can't buy tickets, you can't enter any of the board game halls, you can't enter the dealer halls, you can't play any games run buy the con.  Without a badge all you can do is wander the outer hallways. Suppose you could watch the costume walk and people watching.  Even if you get someone to buy tickets for you almost every dm checks for badges and if they go full e tickets you won't even be able to maybe skate by with that.  Good luck with the ghosting.

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

We had a player removed from our D&D adventure League game because she did not have her badge. And they checked the Catalyst area at least once when I was GM'ing.

That said, they do not check as often as they should, and frankly, as a GM, even though i am SUPPOSED to check, I just make sure they have the correct year's tickets or generics(yes, people try to use other years).

I suspect this is why the electronic tickets are being tested. Frankly, I hope they worked out.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

I also had a GM ask a player to leave our RPG game because a player did not have his badge.  Not sure how often it happens.

Normal
Small
Posted by burrfoot72 braewe

braewe wrote:I suspect this is why the electronic tickets are being tested. Frankly, I hope they worked out.

I have a feeling they did work out.  After all the worry and hang wringing I saw on here before the con with True Dungeon tickets I haven't seen a single thread or post complaining about them since the con has ended.  No news is usually good news in my mind.  People won't come here to praise how well it went but they certainly will to complain about how bad it was.  I have no idea for sure though as I didn't do True Dungeon this year.  

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

I would expect a larger test of the e-ticket system next year.  Maybe one of the large RPG groups (Baldman or NASCRAG (sp?)).  This will give them a good stress test (these groups process several thousand tickets each) 

There are still going to be a number of technology issues to resolve.  WIFI access is going to be a big one.

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

I have a feeling they did work out.  After all the worry and hang wringing I saw on here before the con with True Dungeon tickets I haven't seen a single thread or post complaining about them since the con has ended. 

The worry was because they rolled out e-tickets on the most complex event Gen Con offers without fully understanding how the event even worked, and moreover not having the e-ticket transfers working until just 2 weeks before the Con started.  Once they got that working, and fixed the minor 2 transfer limit glitch, it seems like things did work out.  People that attended TD said there was no problem with scanning their badges.
There are still going to be a number of technology issues to resolve.  WIFI access is going to be a big one.

Supposedly they already have a phone app that allows a GM to download the lists of attendees for their events, scan the badges even while off-line, then upload the results when they have a connection, so Wi-Fi access shouldn't be that big a deal.  I don't know about other carriers, but I had full Verizon 4G access in the ICC & LOS; I also had Verizon WiFi access in ICC.

I think they should definitely expand the e-ticket system, especially to events in Halls A-D and LOS, where there are HQs that could provide scanning backups if the apps are having an issue.

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

Verizon is the provider for ICC and probably LOS.  I expect that others service had some access issues.  

Normal
Small
Posted by glory buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:
I have a feeling they did work out.  After all the worry and hang wringing I saw on here before the con with True Dungeon tickets I haven't seen a single thread or post complaining about them since the con has ended. 

The worry was because they rolled out e-tickets on the most complex event Gen Con offers without fully understanding how the event even worked, and moreover not having the e-ticket transfers working until just 2 weeks before the Con started.  Once they got that working, and fixed the minor 2 transfer limit glitch, it seems like things did work out.  People that attended TD said there was no problem with scanning their badges.

Supposedly they already have a phone app that allows a GM to download the lists of attendees for their events, scan the badges even while off-line, then upload the results when they have a connection, so Wi-Fi access shouldn't be that big a deal.  I don't know about other carriers, but I had full Verizon 4G access in the ICC & LOS; I also had Verizon WiFi access in ICC.I think they should definitely expand the e-ticket system, especially to events in Halls A-D and LOS, where there are HQs that could provide scanning backups if the apps are having an issue.

Off-line sync would be the answer to all the "but I don't have internet, wah!" people. Some cheap tablets for each GM HQ and you are set. 

I'm all for the e-ticket initiative. I think it will be awesome. 

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

I think the e-tickets would gain faster acceptance if the tablets,etc.. were supplied by gencon .
Frankly ,most GM's I spoke to have a problem using their own equipment for this .
I had access problems in the LOS and I had Verizon - same as during a Colts game.

as a GM I see if the person has  a badge on - I do not check to see if it is indeed them .

Sign in to write a new post. New Post