2018 The Good, Bad, Ugly, and Beautiful
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

The Good:
Indianapolis, again, knocked it out of the park here.  All the complainers are going to wish it was back in Indy in a number of years when the Con outgrows the space and possibly moves to another city.

Baldman Games.  Great job, as always, running D&D AL games.  

Downtown Marriott.  The remodel is really good.  

Vault of the Dragon board game by Gale Force Nine.  I was lucky enough to get in to this game using generics and had a fun time playing this one.  

The Bad:

WotC not being at Gen Con.  It's just unbelievable to me that they don't attend Gen Con.

Can't think of much else here.

The Ugly:

People bringing their politics into Gen Con and on the forums.  My group goes to Gen Con to have a good time and escape real world issues for a few days each year.  I don't care who you voted for, if your daughter/son/dog is liberal/conservative or what your social beliefs are.  Have fun, be nice to each other and leave the political nonsense at home.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

The Good:

• Seeing the same people every year - saying hi and giving hugs.  I love that we now have Gencon "friends."
  • Having my teens hanging out with their Gencon friends.  
  • Getting into all the games I wanted to - even though many events were sold out.  I guess I benefitted from all those no shows.
  • DDC RPG (great GM), Stellar Leap, Scythe, Agricola: Farmers of the Moor (guy running the event is there every year and he is a great explainer), Nusfjord were all great.
  • We didn't feel like it was over crowded.  GENCON is really getting good a managing space and thousands of people.  
  • Comfy hotel bed and quiet room.

The Bad:

• Hotel wouldn't let us play games in the dining/bar area.  I see that as part of the fun, so it was disappointing.  They did set up a separate area upstairs, but it was isolated.

The Ugly

• Saturday night at 3am my teen son went to say goodbye to his friends during Werewolf.  He had to squeeze between two chairs to get to his friends.  After goodbyes were said, a man around his 20's, pushed his chair against the chair of the other Werewolf circle blocking my son from getting out.  He was REALLY AGGRESSIVE with my son and said some threatening profane stuff. Told him to find another way out. My son said he was sorry and please let him through.  The guy kept blocking him in - in a really threatening manner...  I saw the entire thing.  I literally had to walk over to the guy - get in his face and say "Are you out of your f*ing mind?" It was easy for this guy to try to dominate a kid...he backed down with me and I'm pretty shocked about that.  I didn't see his name - my adrenaline was through the roof so I didn't remember to look at his badge.  I have never, ever seen such aggression at Gencon or anywhere else.  My kids is really nice and sweet. He was incredibly upset by this guy--which is too bad because Gencon was pretty flawless this year other than that.

​​​​​​​

Normal
Small
Posted by lehane

The Good:

• No Automotive Accident this year!
  • Two new members of the group this year had a blast and plan on attending next year
  • Games went good for the most part

The Bad:

• Hotel downgraded our room (out of block and had been pre-paid for. They at least refunded us money and owned up for their mistake, still sucked we didn't get the suite we paid for)
  • One of the Rookies managed to make every mistake we made the previous 6 years in one go
  • One of our games for Catalyst (Shadowrun) somehow got over booked spilitting up the group for that game into different games. I have been hearing that there was cancellations but the stated excuse by the Catalyst rep was Gencon oversold tickets

The Ugly:

• Politics at Gencon. Regardless of whose politics it is, it is only going to bring anger, resentment and problems. We can do without it for 4 days and some of us want to do without it for a vacation.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam bakermouse10133

bakermouse10133 wrote:
dkrantz152 wrote:
The men’s bathrooms were definitely an issue. I wonder if this is partially a ratio problem, as Gen Con seems to be at least 3 or 4 to 1 male/female.  If they are checking the bathrooms on a set schedule, things don’t really work out.  Ladies, how were the ladies’ bathrooms?  Decent or also fairly grotty?
Womens restrooms were immaculate, from lucas oil and all thru the convention center. Sorry if it wasn't the same in the mens! 
it wasn't as if it was bad one day. It was bad in our area 3 out of 4. 

Normal
Small
Posted by glory

The Good: 

• My Buffy RPG - Michael at WAG Gaming Group is effing amazing and he is one of my favorite GMs ever. I can't even stress how much his love of the source material influences his RPGs
  • My Dragon Age RPG - the GM knew his lore forward and backward. His game was just amazingly well done. 
  • Impossible Burgers everywhere!!! I love being able to get a delicious vegetarian burger at the con and a lot of different restaurants had them!
  • My SPA event - learn to make a vinyl sticker tote bag. I made a cute princess unicorn bag and then gave it away to an adorable 4 year old who was probably the cutest kid I've ever seen. 

The Bad:

• I only had one bad RPG - it was an odd Pathfinder game in which the GM immediately threw us into a two hour combat. I died 2 rounds in. It was not fun and while he kept saying "don't worry" I still got annoyed enough that I left halfway through
  • Everything being moved around this year - I am a creature of habit and I liked playing RPGs in the hotels where it's quieter. I had a bunch of RPGs in the ICC and it is just too noisy in there to play. 

Other than that, I had a great time! Gen Con is my happy place and I am already planning for next year! 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
1 3
1 3