Indiana Business Journal Articles
Normal
Small
Posted by rutherfordr

This is interesting:

Gen Con is pushing for better technology in the ICC:

https://www.ibj.com/articles/70038-gen-con-demands-tech-upgrades

David Hoppe, president of Gen Con wrote: “I’m pushing to evolve Gen Con into a tech-enhanced company delivering an amazing analog experience and I need Indy and the ICC to evolve with us.”

Also, here's a little bit of hard data about attendance this year:

https://www.ibj.com/articles/69971-gen-con-reports-record-attendance-for-downtown-gaming-bash

"Event officials counted a record 223,326 turnstile visits, a 9 percent increase from 2017. The figure is a raw accounting of people who attended Gen Con over the four days, including repeat attendees."

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

If we had a 9% increase, why didn't 4 day badges sell out until just a few days before the convention?

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:If we had a 9% increase, why didn't 4 day badges sell out until just a few days before the convention? 

Because Gen Con increased the number of badges available.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Good articles.  I hope Indy can keep the con for many more years to come.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

One of my favorite parts is the boasting of how much they have raised for charity. $50 k is an tiny amount of money to be boasting about -as is the $300+k since coming to Indy.
If ,as a corporation ,you are going to boast about the levels of donation then you should make sure they are respectable - 

Works out to less than .25$ per turnstile .
And most of that via the Auctions - So where is the Corporate portion ??? Not saying they have to , BUT if you are going to boast about it -back it up ,perhaps by matching funds (if they say they do that already -that is even more embarrassing )

Yes ,I know "that's money that the charities wouldn't have with out Gen Con" - that is beside the point .

Normal
Small
Posted by bakermouse10133 grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:
One of my favorite parts is the boasting of how much they have raised for charity. $50 k is an tiny amount of money to be boasting about -as is the $300+k since coming to Indy.
If ,as a corporation ,you are going to boast about the levels of donation then you should make sure they are respectable - 
And most of that via the Auctions - So where is the Corporate portion ??? Not saying they have to , BUT if you are going to boast about it -back it up ,perhaps by matching funds (if they say they do that already -that is even more embarrassing )
Yes ,I know "that's money that the charities wouldn't have with out Gen Con" - that is beside the point .

Please don't minimize the generosity of others.
$50k isn't a small amount to the charity organization that receives it. 

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:
Did you donate?  Gencon sets up the opportunity for people to donate to a cause in ways that are also fun (cardhalla, balloon pop, etc).  Any money is a good thing.

Don't whine that they are not "backing it up", do something and get involved.  I suggest at my tables that stop by one of the charity events, maybe give blood, maybe give just a dollar.  

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

There seems to be a fair amount of snarky comments on the forums this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

Traveler ,etal ,
In answer to your questions -lol - Yes I  do donate , As a matter of fact  during the time I and my family lived in Indianapolis concurrently with Gen Con(2003 - 2013 ) ,We donated more per year than Gencon did -and the total we have given to Indianapolis charities is more than  Gen Con has given since it has arrived.
So, I do know what I am talking about in regards to the amounts -especially since Gencon generates an income of over 8.75$million each year  and we don't reach 20% of that . 

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

I am happy that you donate, I think more people should.  But to your comments that Gencon should do more, I think your comments are misdirected.  Gencon puts on events to help generate the money.  Its a fine line that needs to traveled between promoting the charity events and getting all up into attendees faces.  We've all had that overly aggressive group requesting money and it does more harm that good.

Could Gencon do more to promote the charity events, maybe.  Could attendees do more to support charities, probably.  In the end these are personal choices.  Some prefer to donate their money to their local charity or one they have a personal connection to while others give to as many as they can.  

And I do want to correct one thing on your math.  Unique attendance (number of badges sold) was about 60k, so that works out to about .83 cents per attendee this year.

In the end, I'm happy that Gencon does charity events.  They give people the option and that is more than other companies that run convention do. 

I applaud your support of local charities as well as those who read this and support theirs. 

And for those who do not support a local charity, why not?  There are so many (cancer research, homeless, food pantry, animal shelter, etc) to choose from, and they will all be happy with anything you can spare. 

Normal
Small
Posted by cman811

Gonna be honest I agree with the poster saying gencon should do more and so should its attendees. 300k is pretty pathetic for the duration they've been at indy. I would like to see that donated every year. 

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

What, what more should they do?  Here is a list of some of the charity eventsGen Con, along with Event Organizers, host events during the show to raise funds for the selected charity. Some of those events include ...

• Ace of Aces Auction
  • Balloon Sculpture "Slay the Creature"
  • Cardhalla
  • Charity Auction
  • Nerd Night for Charity
  • Silent Auction

Add into that the blood drive that is now happening (you can give blood every 8 weeks BTW) and they are doing quite a bit.

How about a check box during badge registration asking you to donate $1, of course you may not know what you are donating for and some people may have issues with that and complain.  Maybe wait until event registration, of course people at that time are so busy trying to get into their events, they may miss the checkbox or click it out of habit (thinking its a new T&C document they will not read).  

Its a fine line to walk between suggesting people get involved and badgering them.  Take the voter registration activities this year.  Its the responsibility of all voting age citizens to be involved in the process.  A voter registration drive is a GOOD thing for a democracy.  However its safe to say that while the intention was noble, the execution could have been better.  There were people who where offended, people who were not offended and people who ignored the whole thing. 

You can not satisfy all of the people all of the time. 

Keep in mind there are lots of rules about the types of activities that can be used for charity fund raising.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

Its not just the amount (which is ridiculously small given their income and supposed impact)
its the BOASTING about the amount like it is some amazing amount.
If you are going to go out of your way to mention it(press releases, interviews ,etc..) then make sure it is something to be proud of .
That amount is the equivalency of a person that earns $45K a year donating $270. 
I wouldn't have much problem if they (Gen Con ) weren't trying to make a big deal of it.

Are you forgetting that the money really isn't from Gen Con ,but its attendees and Gen Con gets the tax break benefit ?  I know that is the standard for most companies (Starbucks,etc..)but they almost all do some form of matching 
At the  least Gen Con should match the money raised .

Yes -,I agree -  Anyone that can afford to should be active in their local (or international )charity scene (money or time )- and it should come from the heart - or done as a business/PR move which is good as well . But again, my complaint is about the scale of Gen Con 'giving " and 

ps - my math wasn't off ,I was using the turnstile numbers ,not the unique attendees-Just like Gen Con does when they want to impress people with the numbers .

Normal
Small
Posted by dranthor

I understand that charity is a great thing but here is my issue with what you suggest to get more giving at GENCON.  I already donate to several charities  and really don't have extra money to add another charity. Yes a dollar isn't much but why should I give that money to a local charity in indiana when I could give it to a charity that is in my state.

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:That amount is the equivalency of a person that earns $45K a year donating $270. 

Making about that much myself, I can say that to be able to give that much to assorted charities over the course of year can sometimes be a stretch in and of itself, considering utilities, taxes, housing and real estate, car repairs that just happen to come up, etc...  

I do get the point you're trying to make, but to insinuate that "only" giving 300 bucks or so to charity a year for a person making 45,000 makes one charitably deficient somehow (since that's the comparison you're making to a Gen Con's 'giving') seems a bit hypercritical.  How much, exactly, percentage-wise, then, should a person be giving to charities to make them a 'proper' philanthropist?  

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Gen Con is a gaming convention, not a philanthropic organization.  The fact that they disclose a small bit of charity that is raised during the Con is a nice thing, yet poster grtbrt took issue with it and points out just how little it actually raised for charity.  The original post was about attendance and Gen Con management looking to increase technology at the ICC/Con.  My impression is that Gen Con is not/was not boasting (as grtbrt put it) but more of factoid of additional information that also happened because of Gen Con.

It makes no sense to me that anyone would make a stink about this.  Maybe it's just me, but it seems that there seems to be a lot of complaining this year on the forums.  Gen Con is fun and we all go to the Con to have fun.  If the Con raises money for a local charity that is an absolute bonus.

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

grthbrt, boasting, how else do you suggest they communicate how much money was raised for the charity?  Would you rather they not say anything because YOU feel it's not enough?

I thought I was pretty clear that its the attendees who make the donations and that Gencon is the vehicle by which the donation happens.  And yes, i'm aware that since Gencon is making the donation on my behalf they are getting the benefit of the tax break.  

As for attendance numbers, Gencon press releases (i'm using last years as this year does not appear to be on the website yet) shows both numbers.

dranthor, I was using my suggestion as an example to illustrate that some people don't like those "forced" tactics.  I wasn't actually suggesting that Gencon do that.  Personally I hate those kinds of donation activities.  But your post did go to my point on how it can backfire.In the end  grtbrt, I think dranthor says its best:  

Yes a dollar isn't much but why should I give that money to a local charity in indiana when I could give it to a charity that is in my state.

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller rhone1

rhone1 wrote:

It makes no sense to me that anyone would make a stink about this.  Maybe it's just me, but it seems that there seems to be a lot of complaining this year on the forums.  Gen Con is fun and we all go to the Con to have fun.  If the Con raises money for a local charity that is an absolute bonus.

Some people just can't help but search for a way to make everything into a negative.

To quote Garland Greene (from the movie Con Air) said:

[talking about Billy Bedlam to Poe and Baby-O] He's a font of misplaced rage. Name your cliché; mother held him too much or not enough, last picked at kickball, late night sneaky uncle, whatever. Now he's so angry moments of levity actually cause him pain; gives him headaches. Happiness, for that gentleman, hurts.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

Raidkills,
My Apologies - I was attempting to put the money amount into a more recognizable percent of income . I was in no way  attempting to insinuate  that if an individual had a level of giving below which they were deficient .Again my apologies if I inadvertently insulted anyone 

rhone : there is a difference between stating the facts and boasting -it usually comes from the frequency of usage .  Think of a friend of yours - He received a substantial raise at work ,telling you once or twice is conveying the facts - once or twice a week is boasting .

traveler -See above - And I agree with dranthor - since moving to NY -the majority of my donations are to local charities here (though I do still donate to Indy charities like the Wheeler Mission and international ones like Doctors without Borders)

traveler - LOL - or perhaps some people don't like to watch quietly as a corporation attempts to claim credit where it is not due . Your choice - But I have no rage ,anger nor do I hate  Happiness-My life is  spectacular ,
Sorry -I just realized you likely were referring to yourself -in which case my condolences for your misfortunes and angst  

Sign in to write a new post. New Post