Normal
Small
Posted by keithbradburn

ICC Expansion

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks keithbradburn

A little more depth on the expansion:

https://www.ibj.com/articles/70937-kite-to-build-2-hotels-at-pan-am-plaza-city-to-spend-120m-on-attached-meeting-space

And Gen Con has extended another year on their contract given the expansion:

https://www.ibj.com/articles/70958-citing-hotel-deal-gen-con-extends-indy-contract

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam brooks

This is a good development and kudos to Gencon. It’s clear from the article that Gencon and other entities are using their power and influence to effect positive changes. The city knows what is needed is not just more space, but more downtown hotels. Not only for Gencon but for 200+ conventions.

Gencon should keep doing their “yearly” renewal as long as positive changes are made. It seems to be working.

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama

Folks don't get too excited yet. On the local news last night they pointed out a few things

The Developer does not own the entire property. There is a lone hold out.

800 of the new 1400 rooms are luxury, so think Conrad and Alexander pricing 4400-$500 a night.  

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

Someone clarify this for me.

"the northeast corner of the plaza at Illinois and Georgia streets."

So they mean the the SW corner of Illinois and Georgia right? That's the plaza I believe. I was reading this and looking at a map and the NE corner of that intersection is were Harry and Izzy's is (and the mall I believe), and I doubt that is going away.

If I am understanding these right, they would be between the ICC and the Omni making them compete with the Crowne as the closest hotels to the dealer hall.

Also as I was looking at google maps I saw a business pop up called Good Games Indy. I don't remember ever seeing this. Its on Meridian next to the Hampton. Anyone know anything about it? I was surprised I didn't hear about it leading up to Gen Con.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke andrewj.rager

Andrewj.rager, you can see renderings/maps here.

Good Games has been around for a couple years and is a nice store. They were even a Gen Con exhibitor this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by gib_rebeg

From the photo and the article, sounds like we are losing the Pan-Am parking there. That is a hit.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
Folks don't get too excited yet. On the local news last night they pointed out a few things
800 of the new 1400 rooms are luxury, so think Conrad and Alexander pricing 4400-$500 a night.  

So good, will actually be some nice rooms to stay at for those of us willing to pay the price.

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
From the photo and the article, sounds like we are losing the Pan-Am parking there. That is a hit.

This.  This is definitely a downside. Parked two vehicles there from Wednesday through Monday morning. Convenient.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

The hotels will most likely build parking structures under them I would think. 

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:

The IBJ article said they'd have to raze the underground parking structure and build a "pedestal" to support the ballroom and hotels. Not sure it will also be possible to build underground parking as well... it may be that you need solid concrete structure to bear the weight of buildings that tall.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
hahnarama wrote:
So good, will actually be some nice rooms to stay at for those of us willing to pay the price.
yeah the Conrad still sells out every year despite the price. People will still book those rooms.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni brooks

brooks wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:

The IBJ article said they'd have to raze the underground parking structure and build a "pedestal" to support the ballroom and hotels. Not sure it will also be possible to build underground parking as well... it may be that you need solid concrete structure to bear the weight of buildings that tall.
I imagine they will address the issue of the lost parking spaces somehow. They need space for their own guests to park after all. 

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

Building underground parking beneath large buildings is routine.  The old World Trade Center had parking beneath the towers.  That's where they parked the truck with explosives in the 1993 bombing.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.