Are there events where you get to do physical actions?
1
1
Normal
Small
Posted by mfield

Hi all,

Looking for events where you actually get to move around and do things, I know about True Dungeon and I don't even bother with that mess anymore, the event itself is good. It's the scheduling, registration nightmare and cost that drove me away from the frustration.

And I know about some of the Spa events from last year with the stick, knife, open hand etc, Which I am going to check out this year.

I want events where I get to do things, throw something at a target etc. Not so much a sparring thing though, I remember an event years ago where there was a set of challenges and you where scored on how well you preformed those challenges, something around those lines I guess would be ideal, I just want something that's more physical than sitting at a table with a card deck and or dice. I do that already and want choices to break up the day.

I was hoping with the addition of Lucas Oil we might get some football events but alas no such luck thus far.

I do plan on trying the escape rooms for the experience ( no pun intended ) :)

Suggestions and ideas are helpfully, trolls will be ignored

Thanks
 

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

I seem to recall hearing about a zombie apocalypse LARP in which NERF guns and melee combat with boffer weapons were used. Can't remember the name, though. Does anybody else remember?

Normal
Small
online
Posted by glory father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
I seem to recall hearing about a zombie apocalypse LARP in which NERF guns and melee combat with boffer weapons were used. Can't remember the name, though. Does anybody else remember?

It's called the Rising. It's a LASH. Live-action survival horror. They are a blast. 

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

There was a similar zombie-style LARP called Helix and Helix, which ran at the Hyatt.

There is boffing (fighting with foam sword) at various events.

There was a low-budget LARP/TD-style game at the Marriott... I recall using foam swords and throwing small beanbags during actual combat. Can't remember what it was called. 
 

Normal
Small
Posted by cincinatas

There is also the Orc Stomp 5k Fun Run at the White River State Park. Great fun, beautiful path, and a great way to start the day and get some exercise in before a day with lots of sitting. It has been made especially entertaining with Exile Game Studio bringing racers that come dressed as raptors to race against for ribbons depending on if you're able to outrun their fastest, middle, or slowest runner.

Normal
Small
Posted by jhs cincinatas

cincinatas wrote:
There is also the Orc Stomp 5k Fun Run at the White River State Park. Great fun, beautiful path, and a great way to start the day and get some exercise in before a day with lots of sitting. It has been made especially entertaining with Exile Game Studio bringing racers that come dressed as raptors to race against for ribbons depending on if you're able to outrun their fastest, middle, or slowest runner.
Is that on Wednesday?

Normal
Small
Posted by cincinatas jhs

jhs wrote:
cincinatas wrote:
There is also the Orc Stomp 5k Fun Run at the White River State Park. Great fun, beautiful path, and a great way to start the day and get some exercise in before a day with lots of sitting. It has been made especially entertaining with Exile Game Studio bringing racers that come dressed as raptors to race against for ribbons depending on if you're able to outrun their fastest, middle, or slowest runner.
Is that on Wednesday?
Friday with the race starting around 6:30am.

Normal
Small
Posted by ubermx

There is usually a series of events hosted by a martial arts studio that will have basic sword fighting techniques.  I have participated and it is enjoyable.  Not tons of cardio and you really didn't spar as much as learn attacking and blocking movements, but it keeps you moving and active.  
Plus there are yoga events in the morning most days.

Normal
Small
Posted by carse

There's a group that teaches introductory fencing. They teach basic techniques then let people spar with each other.

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9

Other options that haven't been mentioned yet include Laser Tag and that boffer sword fight event. 

Normal
Small
Posted by mormanstoutcask glory

glory wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
I seem to recall hearing about a zombie apocalypse LARP in which NERF guns and melee combat with boffer weapons were used. Can't remember the name, though. Does anybody else remember?

It's called the Rising. It's a LASH. Live-action survival horror. They are a blast. 
This sounds like the most exciting thing I've never heard of. Any idea if they plan to run it again this year?

Normal
Small
Posted by young&wiley mormanstoutcask

mormanstoutcask wrote:
glory wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
I seem to recall hearing about a zombie apocalypse LARP in which NERF guns and melee combat with boffer weapons were used. Can't remember the name, though. Does anybody else remember?

It's called the Rising. It's a LASH. Live-action survival horror. They are a blast. 
This sounds like the most exciting thing I've never heard of. Any idea if they plan to run it again this year?
I have e-mailed them this question last week because it was just the most fun last time I went to Gen Con. If I get a response I will let you know. 

Normal
Small
Posted by mormanstoutcask young&wiley

young&wiley wrote:
mormanstoutcask wrote:
glory wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
I seem to recall hearing about a zombie apocalypse LARP in which NERF guns and melee combat with boffer weapons were used. Can't remember the name, though. Does anybody else remember?

It's called the Rising. It's a LASH. Live-action survival horror. They are a blast. 
This sounds like the most exciting thing I've never heard of. Any idea if they plan to run it again this year?
I have e-mailed them this question last week because it was just the most fun last time I went to Gen Con. If I get a response I will let you know. 
Thank you very much!

Normal
Small
Posted by shyeyes19

I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but a friend and I are putting together a LARP with a physical challenge element, i.e. doing some physical feat or finding X of Y item (pending player mobility, we'll have alternatives of course), in order to pass or fail solutions to problems. It'll be called, "The Show Must Go On!" and it'll be themed to a (some may say cursed) vaudevillian theatre troupe trying to get a show on its feet. Again, not sure if this is ANYTHING like you're thinking (as there likely won't be any combat), but I thought of it when you said you wanted something other than sitting at a table! Sitting will very much be optional for ours, if all goes as it should.

This is of course pending GenCon accepting the event...

Normal
Small
Posted by young&wiley shyeyes19

shyeyes19 wrote:
I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but a friend and I are putting together a LARP with a physical challenge element, i.e. doing some physical feat or finding X of Y item (pending player mobility, we'll have alternatives of course), in order to pass or fail solutions to problems. It'll be called, "The Show Must Go On!" and it'll be themed to a (some may say cursed) vaudevillian theatre troupe trying to get a show on its feet. Again, not sure if this is ANYTHING like you're thinking (as there likely won't be any combat), but I thought of it when you said you wanted something other than sitting at a table! Sitting will very much be optional for ours, if all goes as it should.
This is of course pending GenCon accepting the event...
I like the sound of this. Will be looking for this come event sign up

Normal
Small
Posted by shyeyes19 young&wiley

young&wiley wrote:
shyeyes19 wrote:
I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but a friend and I are putting together a LARP with a physical challenge element, i.e. doing some physical feat or finding X of Y item (pending player mobility, we'll have alternatives of course), in order to pass or fail solutions to problems. It'll be called, "The Show Must Go On!" and it'll be themed to a (some may say cursed) vaudevillian theatre troupe trying to get a show on its feet. Again, not sure if this is ANYTHING like you're thinking (as there likely won't be any combat), but I thought of it when you said you wanted something other than sitting at a table! Sitting will very much be optional for ours, if all goes as it should.
This is of course pending GenCon accepting the event...
I like the sound of this. Will be looking for this come event sign up
Woo hoo!

Normal
Small
Posted by alans

SPA events offer a wide variety of dance classes, etc. . . 

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

There was also a combat larp last hear in the basement of the JW Marriott that our group did.  We actually wore chain mail and fought monsters with foam swords.  It was actually a very good workout and everyone got a broke a good sweat.  The combat actually got pretty heated a few times.

I can't remember what the larp group or event was called but they were from Chicago and the name of the event was something "...Darkness."

Normal
Small
online
Posted by glory rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
There was also a combat larp last hear in the basement of the JW Marriott that our group did.  We actually wore chain mail and fought monsters with foam swords.  It was actually a very good workout and everyone got a broke a good sweat.  The combat actually got pretty heated a few times.
I can't remember what the larp group or event was called but they were from Chicago and the name of the event was something "...Darkness."

That's the Rising. 

Here's the website: https://risinglash.wixsite.com/fightzombies

They were originally based out of Chicago, but I'm not sure that crew is still running them. A few years ago my gaming group and I went into the city to play an event, but I can't remember where it was located out of. 

Normal
Small
Posted by young&wiley mormanstoutcask

mormanstoutcask wrote:
young&wiley wrote:
mormanstoutcask wrote:
glory wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
I seem to recall hearing about a zombie apocalypse LARP in which NERF guns and melee combat with boffer weapons were used. Can't remember the name, though. Does anybody else remember?

It's called the Rising. It's a LASH. Live-action survival horror. They are a blast. 
This sounds like the most exciting thing I've never heard of. Any idea if they plan to run it again this year?
I have e-mailed them this question last week because it was just the most fun last time I went to Gen Con. If I get a response I will let you know. 
Thank you very much!

Email I got this morning from Matt Favazza

We do plan on being at Gen Con 2018. We are in the process of revamping/retelling our story line this year. So everybody playing will know whats going on. 

Thanks for the inquiry,
Matt Favazza

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1
1