True Dungeon 2018: More Stories, fewer gaming spots
Normal
Small
Posted by steffles raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:
Does that $78 guarantee a connected hotel room?
This was very funny:)

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
dangado wrote:
The fact that a 1.5 hour 'mini' intro session is $38 is kind of insulting.   I guess they are still running 4 events if you include the Intro events.  
Two years ago is the last time I ran True Dungeon for the same reason listed as above,  Veterans would rush through new people,  the mechanic of the rogue screwing the party for free tokens kind of sucked, and being forced to play a class that you had no equipment for because you showed up only 30 minutes early instead of 40 minutes early was too much.
I will say I enjoyed it once or twice as an experience, but I'm glad to walk away and let others have their shot

If this and other tales are any indication, I don't WANT my shot...

Surely you've encountered said knuckleheads in other games at Gen Con?
If you gave it a shot, you might like it, but it's not for everyone.

Surely you see that's a huge gamble to take given that price?

Normal
Small
Posted by armadilloal raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:

No, but volunteering for them does, and they're basically always looking for volunteers.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust armadilloal

armadilloal wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:

No, but volunteering for them does, and they're basically always looking for volunteers.

Wait, it does? Really? Hmm...

Normal
Small
Posted by lehane

I have stopped doing TD. I really liked it the first two years we did it, but the quality of game play fell a couple of years ago and no longer justified the price of admission (and that was before the increases).

There was a puzzle with glow in the dark paint and the paint wasn't glowing in the dark so we couldn't read it.

Another puzzle wasn't reset after the previous group and the room-master didn't realize it until it was too late. Also it seems the puzzle not being reset shot any chance of solving it.

Had another one that where players were supposed to listen to a recording from mushrooms but the recording was drowned out by the background noise they constantly play so the entire group couldn't hear a thing. (we gave up on that room).

They put out tokens for "Boots of Lava Walking" and when we hit a puzzle to get across a lava stream we were not allowed to use those nice new Boots of Lava Walking (which several of us had). Why were those put out with a puzzle room involving lava walking and then tried to block their use?

There was another puzzle that involved bouncing a laser light off mirrors X amount of times to hit a certain spot. We could see the laser past the first bounce but not past the second and the answer later was either 7 or 9 bounces.

Also the only one per class restriction was annoying cause we had a group of 8 and had issues with the other random players messing up the group composition, particularly the rogue.

We took a year off from it and haven't missed it. It was fun when the puzzles worked but there was too many aggravations when they didn't.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric lehane

lehane wrote:
I have stopped doing TD. I really liked it the first two years we did it, but the quality of game play fell a couple of years ago and no longer justified the price of admission (and that was before the increases).
There was a puzzle with glow in the dark paint and the paint wasn't glowing in the dark so we couldn't read it.
Another puzzle wasn't reset after the previous group and the room-master didn't realize it until it was too late. Also it seems the puzzle not being reset shot any chance of solving it.
Had another one that where players were supposed to listen to a recording from mushrooms but the recording was drowned out by the background noise they constantly play so the entire group couldn't hear a thing. (we gave up on that room).
They put out tokens for "Boots of Lava Walking" and when we hit a puzzle to get across a lava stream we were not allowed to use those nice new Boots of Lava Walking (which several of us had). Why were those put out with a puzzle room involving lava walking and then tried to block their use?
There was another puzzle that involved bouncing a laser light off mirrors X amount of times to hit a certain spot. We could see the laser past the first bounce but not past the second and the answer later was either 7 or 9 bounces.
Also the only one per class restriction was annoying cause we had a group of 8 and had issues with the other random players messing up the group composition, particularly the rogue.
We took a year off from it and haven't missed it. It was fun when the puzzles worked but there was too many aggravations when they didn't.
This is similar in the broad strokes why my friends and I have stopped doing TD as well. A couple bad experiences with puzzles/rooms, including one trip through where the group in front of us wouldn't move their butts so we lost about 3 minutes from every room. On the other hand, we've had runs where everything went super smoothly and we felt clever and effective for creatively solving puzzles and remembering clues. Good TD is really fun but bad TD is super frustrating, and we decided a few years back that the risk of frustration wasn't worth it at the price. Clearly, we're in the minority so I bear no ill will towards TD or those who enjoy it.

At some point I should probably sell off my old tokens. Got some decent purples in there, some of which are the old wooden ones.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

TD seems to be more and more tailored to the veterans. I don't see many newbies dropping $78 on an event they may or may no even enjoy. Even the intro dungeon is a bit pricey for most new people. TD has their own agenda and if people will pay that price their product then good for them. I will not do TD again, I had bad experiences in both of the runs I did in 2014. 

Normal
Small
Posted by cman811

If a group of newbies was going to do a TD run, would it matter which of the stories we did? Are some of them continuations from previous years stories so they wouldn't be as enjoyable or what? 

Normal
Small
Posted by hauntedcity cman811

cman811 wrote:
If a group of newbies was going to do a TD run, would it matter which of the stories we did? Are some of them continuations from previous years stories so they wouldn't be as enjoyable or what? 

I think this kicks off a new storyline.  They are coded N1, N2, & N3, but usually you don't HAVE to do them in order, especially for casual players.  You can pick up what's going on.  

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

It doesn't matter if you have done the previous adventures for any TD run and they don't have to be in sequence.  Truth be told, I and my my group have never really paid much attention to the overall story anyway.

Like all events at Gen Con, True Dungeon is no different in that "Your Mileage May Vary."  You could get lucky with the group you play with, you could get a bad group.  Newbies will still play, some will like it, others won't, it's just the way it is.  I do think TD is a must do, at least once, though.  It's such a different event compared to the board game and role play gaming that is traditionally done at Gen Con.

Normal
Small
Posted by cman811

Sweet, thanks for the info guys.  We've never been able to do them in the past due to scheduling issues but I think this year we might.  

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle quizboy

quizboy wrote:
bobszone wrote:
stiehle wrote:Gotta say I wasn't a fan of True Dungeon last year.  First time playing, and though I loved the concept I felt 'rushed' and a bit intimidated by the veterans grouped with my friend and I.  They were nice and all, but it just felt like we were shunted off to one side.  One combat was also geared solely toward archer types, with melee types unable to do anything at all.  And a couple of the puzzles made no earthly sense to me - apparently even the veterans had trouble because they couldn't solve them either.
I won't be joining this year either, especially not at that price.
It’s unfortunate that you had that experience. I have been playing for years and part of my enjoyment is when new players are in the group allowing them to take the lead and allowing them to experience it for the first time. The joy and anguish that we see in the eyes and the experience of people getting to do something for the first time reignities in me and just about every other veteran that I know the feeling of doing it for the first time. So I can say with confidence that every veteran that I know playing this is more than happy to facilitate allowing the new players to have the best experience that they possibly can rather than Trying to take over and shunting new people aside. In any case I apologize for any of the veterans that may have done that and hope that you give True Dungeon a try again. 
I'm also sorry that you were treated that way during your first game of True Dungeon.I've been playing True Dungeon since 2004, and I've been shunted aside that way a few times myself.
Also, the biggest challenge in True Dungeon is the lack of time (thus the rush)--not the monsters or puzzles.
My solution to help new players enjoy the event has been to create my own group to explain to new players what to expect and how the game is played.  I make sure that everyone has a ranged weapon (bow or sling) and a melee weapon.
I'm certain that if you posted at the True Dungeon forums (http://truedungeon.com/forum/all), you could find veteran players who would help you (and any friends) to find group of new players and a mentor.
Most people there love the game, and are excited to share it with new gamers.  
I honestly don't think it was a conscious decision on the part of the veterans, they seemed like genuinely nice folks.  I think it was more that the time crush we felt and the general nonsensical feel of the puzzles (probably combined with it being my first time and a bit overwhelmed by it all!) conspired to make me feel shunted aside.

It could be that going through a second time I might feel a little more at ease with the environment.  And after reading a bit more about the changes I wonder if maybe it is for the better after all.  Perhaps things won't feel as rushed this time around and it'll be a bit more immersive than it felt last time.  Dunno, I'll have to think on it a bit more.  But thanks for the kind words in any case!  :)

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeptas

So, silly question maybe.  I think I want to try TD this year.  But I have questions.
1. Do I need to be in costume? 
2. Is it easy enough for a single to get a spot? 
3. Have they done the beginner thing before?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Normal
Small
Posted by cincinatas mikeptas

mikeptas wrote:
So, silly question maybe.  I think I want to try TD this year.  But I have questions.
1. Nope! However, they are perfectly okay with you coming in costume just keep in mind bulkier costumes may not be the best idea since some of the rooms can have lots of props and make things a little tighter.
2. It's a bit easier but especially given that they are reducing the number of available tickets you will really want to make sure that you are there right when registration opens to submit your wishlist so you have the best chance possible of getting the slot(s) you want. Even if you do not get it through Gen Con's system though, as a single player, there is a good chance you could easily snag one from someone off the TD forums that prefers to build their party out ahead of time (This is usually to make it easier and faster for the group when in the ready room before the time slot so everyone knows who is doing what roles, gear, etc.).
3. They have done the intro dungeon for quite some time. In the last couple years they have even offered little intro like bits where you can learn in a less pressured environment how the slider board works for fights and practice a little.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 cman811

cman811 wrote:

Nope, they are minimally related with connecting theme/story, but there is no continuity across them game play wise.

I would pick one based on the setting you might enjoy the best:

N1 - Astral Journey to the Bliss - The Astral Plane or surrounding environs
N2 - Odin's Haven - A good aligned Norse themed plane ("the Bliss")
N3 - Vault of the All-Father - Hard to say - but sounds like a dungeon to me

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 mikeptas

mikeptas wrote:

No costume necessary - the idea is sort of that _you_ are in the dungeon, not that you are playing a character who is in the dungeon.  Some people wear costume, but most (90%?) don't.

It's pretty easy to get spots, but you have to be on the ball, in particular:
* Identify the dungeon(s) and times you want to run
* Put those things into your wishlist before event reg goes live
* Select several overlapping runs (e.g. if you want to run around 2 PM on Thursday, select all runs starting from 2-4 of the dungeon in question)

If you then submit your wishlist when event registration goes live you'll get a slot, no problem.

If not, you can always try to find a group who needs an extra adventurer in the True Dungeon forums at: truedungeon.com/forum/all

Look out of the free TD Seminar - TD 101, it's a discussion with some volunteers who walk you through the mechanics of the game.

There is likely to be some kind of "new player" dungeon this year that offers a similar experience at a reduced price, but details are being worked out still I believe.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
armadilloal wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:

Wait, it does? Really? Hmm...

Yes, full time volunteers get rooms, usually in the Crown Plaza, they are 4 person rooms.

Details for volunteers at:

https://tdvols.com/

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
mhayward1978 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
dangado wrote:
The fact that a 1.5 hour 'mini' intro session is $38 is kind of insulting.   I guess they are still running 4 events if you include the Intro events.  
Two years ago is the last time I ran True Dungeon for the same reason listed as above,  Veterans would rush through new people,  the mechanic of the rogue screwing the party for free tokens kind of sucked, and being forced to play a class that you had no equipment for because you showed up only 30 minutes early instead of 40 minutes early was too much.
I will say I enjoyed it once or twice as an experience, but I'm glad to walk away and let others have their shot

I dunno, I think I'd rather have a 2 hour bummer at TD than a 4-6 hour bummer in a $2 RPG with my limited time at Gen Con.  Of course, no bummer at all would be better!

To ensure no bummers you can look to arrange to form a group with a party of known non-knuckleheads in the TD forums :)

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
mhayward1978 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
dangado wrote:

I dunno, I think I'd rather have a 2 hour bummer at TD than a 4-6 hour bummer in a $2 RPG with my limited time at Gen Con.  Of course, no bummer at all would be better!To ensure no bummers you can look to arrange to form a group with a party of known non-knuckleheads in the TD forums :)

Well, look at it this way:

-If the $2 RPG session turns out to suck, you can walk out early only down $2 and still have a lot of more worthwhile ways to kill time/spend money with the remaining time.
-If the $78 True Dungeon session sucks, if you walk out early, you're out $78, and you don't have nearly as much unexpected free time.

Normal
Small
Posted by persiandragoon

They changed the true dungeon quest to a full dungeon run from the past for $48 and added more number of tickets available. 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post