Small
Posted by rayken

So it's 78 dollars still? 

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni rayken

 rayken wrote:
It does appear that runs of the new story are still $78. Sorry but $39 an hour is pretty ridiculous. Especially when you multiply that by 10 people in a group.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 ytuni

ytuni wrote:
   rayken wrote:
It does appear that runs of the new story are still $78. Sorry but $39 an hour is pretty ridiculous. Especially when you multiply that by 10 people in a group.

There will be a full, two hour long dungeon available for $48 for new players, which is $14 cheaper than the dungeons were last year.  

There will also be 3 full, two hour long dungeons for $78 with expanded sets and props.

Details in the most recent TD newsletter:

------

Regarding WHY we went from FOUR $62 dungeons to THREE $78 dungeons

For years I have dreamed of making uber-cool dungeons at Gen Con.  I mean really cool adventures.  Really, really cool dungeons that would transport players to another world for two hours.  We have steadily worked toward that goal for the past 15 years, but we have never gotten as close as I would like.  

If I won the lottery today, TD at Gen Con in 2019 would just be two massive dungeons with tons of multiple paths, secret doors and bonus rooms. But the cost of the ticket would have to be sky-high. I know that is not practical, so I've long considered the idea of doing three dungeons as we announced last week.

A handful of things made me pull the trigger on this dream this year.

First, we did a preliminary test last year with the Dancing Among Stones adventure at Gen Con.  We arranged it so some of the "curtained hallways" were replaced with nicely themed townscape areas.  We went overboard on that adventure -- both in terms of cost and time budgets, but I was so happy with the result. After 15 years of slowly growing TD I felt we had gotten to the place I first dreamed about in 2003 while conjuring up True Dungeon over pancakes with Peter Adkinson (co-owner of Gen Con). After Gen Con 2017 was over and the test rooms went so well, I knew with a little more space, budget and time to build we could havemade Dancing Among Stones an amazing experience if all the holding areas were themed.

Second, I visited Universal Orlando this past October, and went on tours of all their amazing haunts. Also, I got to meet with their head honcho, and that visit really inspired me to raise the quality of the event. It re-affirmed my want to completely blow folks' minds with their TD experience, but to do that I knew that I needed more space.

Third, I ain't no spring-chicken these days. I'm 53 and I'm starting to prioritize the fulfillment of dreams a wee bit more these days. We just signed a 5-year deal with Gen Con, and I want to make these coming 5 years amazing while my vigor remains to push the envelope on what we can do.

Fourth, we just hired Mike Naglee full-time to help take over some of the aspects of running TD so I can spend more time working on the more creative side. This hire allowed us to make the Astral module (N1) (premiering at Origins Game Fair in June) a brand new module -- instead of a "best of" adventure as originally announced.

Fifth, from a logistics stand-point, doing the same events from Gen Con at Gamehole Con, PAX South and other Cons just makes a lot of sense. In the past, we've had to do two weeks of work in the warehouse after each Con just to re-configure all the sets, props and costumes to match the new unique structure of the upcoming event. And, mistakes can be made...stuff got left behind or the wrong things were brought. With this change, after the upcoming Gen Con we will unload the trailers into the warehouse (each intact in its own space), and then we will very easily re-load them in an afternoon to go to Gamehole Con. We will have a few pallets of consumable supplies to re-load. So, if you multiple the two weeks' savings per Con, you can see that over a month of time will be saved this year in the warehouse. This is time we can spend making better sets and props.

Despite all these points, the plan just a few weeks ago was still to leave Gen Con as-is -- with 4 modules (2 different modules each with a combat and puzzle side) in 2018. It was not until a fateful trip last week that I decided to think about making the big move.

I took the kids (ages 11 & 16) to Orlando last week for a quick Spring Break trip to Disney and Universal. Lori had to take her elderly father out West for a visit, so we decided at the last second to hit Orlando.

So...there I was at Disney World.  I was standing in the middle of Main Street at the Magic Kingdom -- watching the throngs of people immensely enjoying themselves.  I thought back to Walt's crazy idea to open Disney World back in 1971. It might surprise you to learn that it was a huge financial gamble, and many "experts" thought his castle in the swamp would be a big fiasco. But he took the gamble, followed his creative dream, and his initiative ended up being widely loved by generations of folks who need some "wonderment" in their life. And it was there on Main Street looking up at the castle, while surrounded by people from across the globe, that I decided it might be finally time to go for it.  

When I got back to TD HQ, I put out some event structure ideas for discussion, and we talked about lots of scenarios. I finally asked the TD Team if they wanted to follow me on the crazy idea of going with 3 enhanced dungeons. They gave out some great Pro and Con feedback. But in the end, we all felt that the 3 enhanced adventures idea was the way to go.

That decision was re-affirmed this week as we set to work on re-configuring the planned event for only three enhanced dungeons.  All that extra space will add so much fun to the adventures!  The spaces between rooms will now be adventure spaces themselves -- with clues and fun to be had while you wait.  We can't wait to see all those excited faces at Origins, Gen Con and beyond. I think you guys are in for a treat.

And yes...in case you are wondering...I am really worried that the new ticket price will be our undoing. I kept it as low as I could. Remember that we just hired Mike Naglee full-time and his talented wife Jenn part-time , so the smart and safe thing to do would probably have been to up the price from $62 to $66 and kept the 4 dungeon scheme. Heck, we even entertained the idea of adding a 5th dungeon (Astral), as it would have been possible to shoe-horn it in there with a slight decrease in overall event quality. I have to admit the extra $120,000 in revenue for a 5th adventure was tempting, but for lots of reasons that idea was abandoned.
---
If I've learned anything, it's that life is too short, and after 15 years of hard work, I went with my dream. Let's hope it is not a castle in the swamp! 

Why premier N1 (Astral Journey to the Bliss) at Origins? 

Good question.

1) It gives the token buyers a nice thank you for supporting us.  All this extra fun we have been talking about is not possible without the support of generous token collectors.  Their funding is a near equal contributor to the event's funding. I love the fact that the big token buyers can enjoy a new adventure at both Origins and Gen Con.

2) Logistically, it makes great sense for us not to have to premiere 3 brand new dungeons at Gen Con. Having one launch 6 weeks before Gen Con allows us a much better build schedule, and we can tweak N1 for Gen Con after seeing what works at Origins. We will have an extra day and more installers at Gen Con, so we can boost the fun of N1 at Gen Con.

Okay...then why did you add back an old 4th adventure?

Another good question.  We received lots of great feedback from our TD Community after we made the big announcement, and the number one concern voiced was the extra $16 added to the ticket price from 2017.  Many felt that TD would see a lot fewer new players trying out the event.  Additionally, many long-time players called for a way for them to still enjoy TD without the higher ticket price.  And finally, we realized that there would be some space savings due to the decrease in Coaching Rooms needed.

And being someone who likes creative challenges, I got to work trying to find room to present another (older style) adventure.  After playing around with possible map ideas, I called up the always friendly and passionate CEO of Gen Con (David Hoppe), and we worked together to re-configure the "swing space" exit corridor.  David was good enough to allow us to move the entire Epilogue area into the swing space -- which we will lightly theme for your exiting fun.  

This gained space (along with the extra space from fewer Coaching Rooms) allows us to present the fan-favorite "Into the Viper's" module from 2014 at the low ticket price of $48.  The adventure will have curtained "holding areas" between rooms and a smaller footprint than the N-Series modules, but it should still be a hoot to play for folks.  More info HERE.

So...if you are still reading this...well...thank you.  Thank you for your interest, your support and your faith in the TD Team.  We have an amazing year planned for all our Cons, and I hope to see you there.

-- Jeff Martin

Creator & Head Geek at TD HQ

Deadline to Volunteer for Gen Con is Almost Here!

It is time to be bold and sign up to volunteer for TD at Gen Con!  The deadline is April 14th.  Not only will you get to be a part of an amazing event, but you will also get some incredible benefits:

• Up to a $250 for food, parking, games, etc.
  • Four free nights in a downtown hotel (like the attached Crowne Plaza)
  • A free $110 4-Day Gen Con Badge
  • Valuable swag

Please volunteer now at our new volunteer application website called www.tdvols.com.  

VOLUNTEER NOW to help secure the position you want.  

To sign-up or to get more info, go to www.tdvols.com

Normal
Small
Posted by mjhan300

Long time Gen Con goers, but novice to TD. A couple questions here:

1) How many players make up a party?
2) Any issues with my wife and I signing up and being put with an existing party?
3) Do we really need to do the Intro session if this is our first time in TD or can we signup for one (or more) of the larger (and more $$) sessions? We would kind of like to do the new stuff if possible.
4) I've read mixed comments about newcomers to TD being shunned or pushed to the side by veteran players. Is that a concern?
5) Do they have "novice" level TD events to sign up for?

My wife and I are avid boardgamers and would like to give TD a try.

Any thoughts?

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce mjhan300

mjhan300 wrote:
Long time Gen Con goers, but novice to TD. A couple questions here:
1) How many players make up a party?
2) Any issues with my wife and I signing up and being put with an existing party?
3) Do we really need to do the Intro session if this is our first time in TD or can we signup for one (or more) of the larger (and more $$) sessions? We would kind of like to do the new stuff if possible.
4) I've read mixed comments about newcomers to TD being shunned or pushed to the side by veteran players. Is that a concern?
5) Do they have "novice" level TD events to sign up for?
My wife and I are avid boardgamers and would like to give TD a try.
Any thoughts?

1) 10 is a complete party.  If there isn't a sellout runs could go with fewer players.  It is rare but if there are a ton of couples in the waiting line to use generics and a single no-show ticket a run could go with 11.
2) The majority of people will play this way I think.  The percentage of runs that is made up of people that buy out a complete run and organize parties ahead of time I suspect is under 20%, probably much under that.
3) All the runs include coaching and training as the first two rooms.  Even the full price new runs are designed to handle new players.  You'll probably want to scan through some of the new player information on the true dungeon website though so you have an idea on what classes you might be interested in playing (and have a couple of options for each person in mind).
4) It's possible.  There are thousands of tickets, some of them will be purchased by less than pleasant people. It's unlikely you'll end up in a group of 8 veterans with the two of you filling out a group and being ignored.  A group of 8 veterans would be the type that would buy out the run and find a couple other veterans to fill it up.  More likely you would be in a run where there are 3-4 groups of friends of 2-4 people each that make up the team.  Some of them have maybe run a few times in past years.
5) The only thing that is not designed for novices are the "True Grind" events.  They haven't been a part of any of these announcements.  Any of the full length dungeons (sealed or the more expensive new ones) are appropriate for novices.  There is a free True Dungeon 101 seminar session most years as well you could attend if you want further information before you go in as well.

Normal
Small
Posted by ladyimm

While I liked it the first year, I haven't done TD since - I just can't afford it. One day, perhaps, I'll have all the money in the world.

Normal
Small
Posted by snakeeyes0217

I found these great Character Class shirts for TD that not only help identify your party members but help you look the part without the commitment of a full costume. Check them out.

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/true+dungeon+adventure+wear?ref=search_box

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Cool. Thanks for sharing, snakeeyes0217.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

Those shirts seem like a great idea, but what if you walk in and someone else has already claimed that character class? Do you switch shirts with them? Turn yours inside out? Buy a new one pronto from the TD shop?

Awkward... ;)

Normal
Small
Posted by cinnibar

Naturally you dice-off, claiming a +5 bonus for the t-shirt. :D

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
1 3
1 3