Suggestion for the organizers: post a "placeholder page" until the Events go live!
Normal
Small
Posted by freebiegrabber

So I'd never been to a GenCon before, much less registered online for a badge (until a few months ago).  For all of you repeat attendees: congratulations, you already know how it works.  But what I'm wondering is: if indeed  events are "the heart of GenCon," then why the heck doesn't the GenCon admin staff at least put up some sort of generic (but official) "placeholder" page, instead of letting dozens -- or hundreds, or thousands -- of new attendees-to-be stumble around in confusion, clogging up the admins' inboxes and the GenCon message boards with what (I presume) is the same question asked over and over again, re: the Events?  For god's sake, people, ditch the amateur-hour "ROLL AGAIN! 404 File not found" page and put something HELPFUL up instead!  You know, something like, "Welcome to the GenCon Events page!  You may not browse or register for events until Event Registration opens on May 6th."  (And then go on to give a few paragraphs re: how to create a "wish list," how the specific vs. generic tickets work, etc.)  Who's with me?  Am I alone here, of was anyone else just as frustrated?  Speak up, folks!

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

Though not official guides, some con-goers will post their own guides to Gen Con on the forums throughout the year. Go over to the General Info 2018 tab and look at the MY OBSESSIVELY DETAILED GUIDE TO GEN CON post. One of the admins can probably post a link to last year's event page but that's usually not complete and posted until a week or two before registration opens. 

Yes, it would be nice to have everything in one place though...

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

The list of official events will come out about 2 weeks before event registration. You'll have time to look at what will be at gencon next year before it goes live. 

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick freebiegrabber

freebiegrabber wrote:
So I'd never been to a GenCon before, much less registered online for a badge (until a few months ago).  For all of you repeat attendees: congratulations, you already know how it works.  But what I'm wondering is: if indeed  events are "the heart of GenCon," then why the heck doesn't the GenCon admin staff at least put up some sort of generic (but official) "placeholder" page, instead of letting dozens -- or hundreds, or thousands -- of new attendees-to-be stumble around in confusion, clogging up the admins' inboxes and the GenCon message boards with what (I presume) is the same question asked over and over again, re: the Events?  For god's sake, people, ditch the amateur-hour "ROLL AGAIN! 404 File not found" page and put something HELPFUL up instead!  You know, something like, "Welcome to the GenCon Events page!  You may not browse or register for events until Event Registration opens on May 6th."  (And then go on to give a few paragraphs re: how to create a "wish list," how the specific vs. generic tickets work, etc.)  Who's with me?  Am I alone here, of was anyone else just as frustrated?  Speak up, folks!

Hi freebiegrabber, 

I've sent you a message about this. Please respond.

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by freebiegrabber roderick

roderick wrote:
freebiegrabber wrote:

Hi freebiegrabber, I've sent you a message about this. Please respond.
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 
I don't see anything in my GenCon "Messages" (via your website) or in my Hotmail inbox (the email address I linked to my GenCon account).  Where/how did you message me?  Thanks!

Normal
Small

freebiegrabber wrote:
roderick wrote:
freebiegrabber wrote:

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 
I don't see anything in my GenCon "Messages" (via your website) or in my Hotmail inbox (the email address I linked to my GenCon account).  Where/how did you message me?  Thanks!

Check  "My Messages" in the drop-down box when you mouse over your Name and Number in the menu bar above. 

Normal
Small
Posted by freebiegrabber roderick

roderick wrote:
freebiegrabber wrote:
roderick wrote:
freebiegrabber wrote:

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Check  "My Messages" in the drop-down box when you mouse over your Name and Number in the menu bar above. 
It only says "No conversations yet."  (i.e., I don't have any Messages.)

Normal
Small

freebiegrabber wrote:
roderick wrote:
freebiegrabber wrote:
roderick wrote:
freebiegrabber wrote:

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

It only says "No conversations yet."  (i.e., I don't have any Messages.)
That's weird, 'cause I have my end of the message... 

How did you get to the 404 message (if you remember after all this time)?

New Post Sign in to write a new post.