Pokemon Go at Gencon
Normal
Small
Posted by cyberhare

Any Chance we'll be seeing any special spawns around Gencon for the Pokemon Go players out there? https://twitter.com/Armageddonexpo/status/979493409676292096

Normal
Small
Posted by remnant

There wasn't the past two years.  The Discord group did coordinate several raids, I actually had very little time besides the lure party one night last year.  With quests out it would be interesting to see what happens between now and when Gen Con happens.

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf

As mentioned, I doubt there is anything planned as Niantic has not been a part of Gen Con to my knowledge. However, the sheer volume of activity will surely result in a LOT of spawning. So bring battery backups and clear as many items and Pokemon as you can as you will surely fill up fast and get as much xp as you can handle...

Normal
Small
Posted by cyberhare

Niantic doesn't need to be involved directly in the Con. It's a huge event where people interested in PoGo will gather. All that would be required would be for someone in charge to contact Niantic and sort out the details. 

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

I tried to tag both parties on twitter last year. I assume if enough people show Gen Con and Niantic that there is interest, maybe something would happen. They have done special spawns for smaller events that Gen Con.

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

Given the colossal cluster they had at their Chicago event (and subsequent class action lawsuit) I don't think they are too keen on any large scale events.  

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager traveller

traveller wrote:
Given the colossal cluster they had at their Chicago event (and subsequent class action lawsuit) I don't think they are too keen on any large scale events.  
They don't need to host an event there themselves. They just need to say special spawns are happening in the Indy DT area near the ICC during Gen Con and have Gen Con and Niantic tweet and FB post it out there. Niantic actually does a lot of this for SXSW, PAX, different small events in towns across the world. It doesn't need to be a Go Fest thing, because that was a disaster, I was there. Release the G E N C O Unown as well.

Normal
Small
Posted by cyberhare

Precisely, it's not an event, just an increase in spawns in the area and the Unown letters around the Indy DT area. Con goers use way more data and cell coverage than usual already and I've never heard of an issue. 

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

I just reached out to them on twitter. Just search #GenCon2018 and see my post @Rager67. Retweet it and like it to show them there is interest. Who knows, maybe we can make it happen.

Normal
Small
Posted by rutherfordr traveller

traveller wrote:

Wow -- Niantic has to pay $1.6 million for that colossal cluster:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/niantic-pays-1-6-million-settlement-over-failed-pokemon-go-event/

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

See I didn't participate in that class action suit. I didn't think it was right. Yeah the actual event blew up, but everything after worked out great. They gave us all $100 in pokecoins, and they've done a good job since. I want Pokemon Go to succeed as I play it every day. I didn't need to make its developer get financially hurt even more. But that was just me.

Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot

Last year I tried to play some Go passively (I have a plus) and I don't know if it was all the phone signals jamming up things, but I actively could not get a signal the entire weekend. :( I'm going to try again this year but I don't have high hopes. XD

Normal
Small
Posted by remnant saberpilot

saberpilot wrote:
Last year I tried to play some Go passively (I have a plus) and I don't know if it was all the phone signals jamming up things, but I actively could not get a signal the entire weekend. :( I'm going to try again this year but I don't have high hopes. XD
@ Gen Con?  I was good throughout the day plus the lure party.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

GPS signal inside the ICC isn't the best but on the perimeter of the ICC and all through Indy, signal was good and lots of POGO to be had.

Normal
Small
Posted by penguin001

There is a Pokemon Go gathering on Sunday: EGM18133238

And don't forget to join the discord channel!

I'll be there! And will happily help you poke Niantic Andrew! 3 years ago or so, we did an Ingress meetup at GenCon, which was neat.

Normal
Small
Posted by remnant penguin001

penguin001 wrote:
There is a Pokemon Go gathering on Sunday: EGM18133238
And don't forget to join the discord channel!
I'll be there! And will happily help you poke Niantic Andrew! 3 years ago or so, we did an Ingress meetup at GenCon, which was neat.
It's a bit late for my group driving home but if the discord is still the same as last year I'll definitely ping people Wednesday if I'm free.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

I honestly feel like Wednesday is the best day to do PoGo stuff at Gen Con. we plan to arrive around 3 in the afternoon. After checking in, getting badges, and food, this is what I will probably be doing for the evening.

Normal
Small
Posted by remnant andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
I honestly feel like Wednesday is the best day to do PoGo stuff at Gen Con. we plan to arrive around 3 in the afternoon. After checking in, getting badges, and food, this is what I will probably be doing for the evening.
Unless you got a ticket for 14th or the 15th in July...

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager remnant

remnant wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
Unless you got a ticket for 14th or the 15th in July...
I went last year. They did nothing there that made me even consider going back. Yeah it sounds like they might have the India exclusive Pokemon there this year, and that's cool. But it isn't enough to put up with everything that happened last year again. Until they prove they can do it right, I won't go again. And it's off to a great start.. lol Tickets all got bought by bots who are selling them for 100s of dollars. Pretty insane. People in my area said they had a better time just playing in their home towns last year during Go Fest.

Normal
Small
Posted by remnant

I'm hoping I have a few minutes here and there to get friends added/battle gym/Raiding since Trading and the Friendship update should be thriving by GenCon.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post