LARPing
Normal
Small
Posted by featherheart

Hello All!

This will be my third year at Gencon, and I may just be comfortable enough with myself to LARP a little. I see LARPing events, and realize that I do not know any rules to this or the dos/do nots. 

Is there normally a beginner's LARP or a place to learn how to do this before I make a fool of myself? Or do they go over how to LARP before hand? Do I need to pre-make a character (like with DnD Adventurers League) or are we assigned a character/get to make a character up on the spot. 

I realize this may vary by LARP session, but I truly do not know where to begin!  

Normal
Small
Posted by msmysteryparty

Hello! Others may have had different experiences, but I've LARP-ed a handful of times at GenCon, and the ones I've done have all been with pre-generated characters, and the GM's have been very welcoming and helpful. Some event listings will link to websites with backstories about the setting, general game mechanics (if there are any) and character bios. If you're interested in a particular LARP but aren't sure how beginner-friendly it is, you could also email the GM ahead of time.

This year, I'll be running a murder mystery scenario LARP, and my expectation will be that many of the players haven't done a murder mystery party-style game before, or that they don't have a lot of LARP experience. It wouldn't be realistic for me to ask players to prepare or review their character sheets ahead of time, so I'll be planning extra setup time for folks to get acquainted with the rules and their characters. (I ran a similar style game a few years ago, and it worked pretty well for all of the players.)

The long story short is that I've seen plenty of listings for LARPs that seemed more beginner friendly, so go for it! :)

Normal
Small
Posted by featherheart msmysteryparty

msmysteryparty wrote:
Hello! Others may have had different experiences, but I've LARP-ed a handful of times at GenCon, and the ones I've done have all been with pre-generated characters, and the GM's have been very welcoming and helpful. Some event listings will link to websites with backstories about the setting, general game mechanics (if there are any) and character bios. If you're interested in a particular LARP but aren't sure how beginner-friendly it is, you could also email the GM ahead of time.
This year, I'll be running a murder mystery scenario LARP, and my expectation will be that many of the players haven't done a murder mystery party-style game before, or that they don't have a lot of LARP experience. It wouldn't be realistic for me to ask players to prepare or review their character sheets ahead of time, so I'll be planning extra setup time for folks to get acquainted with the rules and their characters. (I ran a similar style game a few years ago, and it worked pretty well for all of the players.)
The long story short is that I've seen plenty of listings for LARPs that seemed more beginner friendly, so go for it! :)

Thank you so much for your input! As one who has no idea where to begin with this, this is super helpful! 

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314

LARPS are mostly about storytelling. You will be given a pre-written character who has connections to other characters and goals for the current situation. Maybe Bob's character sheet says he is falling in love with his best friend Alice, while Alice's character sheet says she is secretly a guardian angel assigned to protect Bob and must not reveal that she isn't human. 

The GMs will explain any mechanics beforehand. e.g. anyone under this cloak is invisible, so other players should pretend they're not there.

My friends the Feldra Gamers do a lot of worldbuilding. They will give you a page of character backstory, a page of shared backstory about the situation all the characters find themselves in, and a list of your abilities (e.g. turn invisible). Some abilities require interaction with the GM; others might just get acted without the player explicitly stating that it is an ability use.

Normal
Small
Posted by mcnoob

I did the Darkness Remembered LARP last year, as a noob, and they were fantastic. Characters and pre-game/during game explanations provided.
Helpful, kind, welcoming. The whole deal (I'm coming back this year).

Normal
Small
Posted by kidlidar

My wife and I run a Star Wars based LARP every year.  You don't need experience to play in ours.  We do pregenerated characters as it's easier to control the plot.  Our rules system is very easy and most abilities can be done without a GM present. 

If you are interested you can email me at kidlidar@yahoo.com and we can discuss this further.

We usually provide each character with a 3/4 to 1 page background which gives the history of your character, why they are here, and the relationships with other characters if they have any.  They will also have a list of goals that their character is trying to accomplish throughout the game.

Some things in our game will require some imagination, like if you're playing a wookie we will give you an extra badge that has a picture of a wookie on it to help remind the other players that you are 7-8' tall and covered in fur. 

Normal
Small
Posted by saturnsdarkness

Hello and welcome! Our dungeon crawl is new adventurer friendly with the minimal rules and hopefully maximum fun that you can get from the adrenalin rush you can get from larp combat.

There also have story, description, and interactions as appropriately within the rooms. There has been some marvelous roleplay as well as those who just want to kill things and get out.

We are lightest touch and supply armor if you want it. These are done at least in groups of 2 so our guides can be present for questions, but let you run the show mostly.

If you have questions, let me know!  Our Facebook group is Convention Dungeon and Escape rooms, where we have pictures of exhausted people in costume mostly.

Normal
Small
Posted by spielenshirl

While larping, are there places to put your extra stuff like drinks or must you carry everything around? I mean things I want access to during the 6 hour larp. Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by kiki

Hello and Welcome, our BYOV games are new player friendly and welcome all.  We show sold out, but I was alerted by a few players not making it to gen con for my event (and I always write extras).  If you can, stop by and check us out.    =10ptLRP1812950 Welcome to Purgatory: A Modern Supernatural Western.   Friday, noon to 4.

Questions? Let me know.  Since it is modern, costuming isn't necessary.

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick spielenshirl

spielenshirl wrote:
While larping, are there places to put your extra stuff like drinks or must you carry everything around? I mean things I want access to during the 6 hour larp. Thanks!

There's at least one table in the room (for administrative stuff, like ticket taking, etc.), and corners. But where and if you can leave stuff in the room is really up to the GM/Troupe. There isn't "public storage" anywhere. 

Normal
Small
Posted by kidlidar

There's always extra table space at our events, but no specific "Storage" area.  You could also come and check us out, We're running Thursday and Friday nights at 8:00pm and our event is called The Mandalorian Gambit. (look for us in the event finder).  Our LARP is based in a Star Wars setting and costumes are optional.

Normal
Small
Posted by ladyimm

BYOV runs some pretty fun LARPS too - you might check them out!

Normal
Small
Posted by randrac

My murder mystery LARP event, LRP18141453 - Small Medium No Longer at Large is sold out per GenCon but we still are in need of 3 more players to commit to characters (we have lots of people attending who just want to try and solve the mystery and not actually play suspects).  We would love to have you join us--just bring generic tickets and let me know in advance if you want one of the remaining open suspect roles. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by jhough

The 2pm Friday running of my LARP "The Last Gamble" still has tickets available. LRP18131266 We are newcomer friendly and have been running 7th Sea LARPs at Gencon for over 15 years.  Pre casting is available. Our players tend to tuck their bags under the tables.   

New Post Sign in to write a new post.