Games to Try
Normal
Small
Posted by featherheart

Normally at Gencon I go for playing Dungeons and Dragons with strangers. But it's disheartening to pass by all the crowded rooms watching people playing an assortment of games. i feel like I'm missing out on some of the best parts of the con! 

Are there games that I should try that are a must for Gencon? I hear Cattan and Call of Cthulu are very popular. There aren't very many games I wouldn't try, but it's hard to figure out what I like when all I have to go off of is a list in a catalog and a description.

What are your preferred games when you go to the con? What is fun for you, and what do you recommend that someone who's never played before try out?  

Normal
Small
Posted by neonrhino

Hey there!

Your right! Gencon has some incredible board games available, and I've also had so many years where I pass rooms and wonder 'What's that over there...?'

Catan is very popular and thought of broadly as a great 'gateway' game into board gaming. For many people it was the first game that got them hooked on the hobby. Call of Cthulu is also very popular, but a bit more complicated. Both would be great ways to see a side of the con that perhaps you haven't had a chance to see yet!

Because there are thousands and thousands of board games at Gencon, can you share a little bit about what makes DnD shine for you? It may help forum users peg down that perfect game for you to try. What do you like the most: Roleplaying (may want to try Captain Sonar!), getting into stupid situations with your friends (Cosmic Encounter may be for you!), trying to frustrate the DM by refusing to go into the basement with that one old lady (Aye Dark Master could be a game you love if this makes you laugh!), the tactical combat scenarios (Heroquest could be smashing!)...? 

I'll check back in a bit and see if I can help any further! If you're unsure I'll just try to think of games that helped get me into the hobby and post them. Good luck and have a great con!

Normal
Small
Posted by featherheart

I love Dungeons and Dragons for both the roleplay aspect and the tactical aspect (how do we get out of this situation other than punching stuff?). Mystery/horror excite me most so "Aye Dark Master" sounds interesting, and it isn't a game I've ever heard of before! The bard games within the horror genre I have played really only stick to Betrayal at the House on the Hill, so expanding that way would probably be the most fun for me. 

I'll have to look up Captain Sonar, that sounds intriguing as well! 

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

Also, if you want to try board games, check out the Rio Grande room.  They have tons of their titles and will demonstrate how to play.  

Normal
Small
Posted by remnant featherheart

featherheart wrote:
Normally at Gencon I go for playing Dungeons and Dragons with strangers. But it's disheartening to pass by all the crowded rooms watching people playing an assortment of games. i feel like I'm missing out on some of the best parts of the con! 
Are there games that I should try that are a must for Gencon? I hear Cattan and Call of Cthulu are very popular. There aren't very many games I wouldn't try, but it's hard to figure out what I like when all I have to go off of is a list in a catalog and a description.
What are your preferred games when you go to the con? What is fun for you, and what do you recommend that someone who's never played before try out?  

I'd try Savage Worlds, Numenera/Cypher System/The Strange, anything out for GeneSys or a Star Wars game by Fantasy Flight, New World of Darkness any of those new settings from White Wolf, or Fate.  They're all different than D&D to me though.  I'd check out any game you probably won't readily be able to jump into at home since if you like it you can bring something new to local gaming if you enjoyed the game enough.

Normal
Small
Posted by jdb1972

Monster Hunter International for the Savage Worlds system should be debuting at GenCon. The novels' author is supposed to be demo'ing the game all weekend.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.