New Event Catalog
Normal
Small
Posted by tdb

Nothing shows up for me using IE 11.  I see the list in Firefox, though.

Normal
Small
Posted by tdb

Separate question, is there a way to at least filter by category, like you could with the old event search?

Alternatively, is there a link to the old search system?

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin tdb

tdb wrote:
Separate question, is there a way to at least filter by category, like you could with the old event search?
Alternatively, is there a link to the old search system?

Absolutely, just click on that little red and white button next to the search box.  You'll have plenty of filter options.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by weaverjk

The issues with the catalog have me completely scared for event registration.  It's been 10 years since i have attended Gen Con.  This looks as horrible and messy as ever.

Searched on "dungeon" and found NO results.
Searched on "dragon" and found NO results.
Searched on "dungeon dragon" and found NO results
Searched on "star wars" and found NO results.
Searched on "catan" and found no results.
Basically, the search engine couldn't find anything.  Worthless.

The catalog appears to be available only in the format of day 1 - day 4, one hour at a time, on a single web page, but only X number of events at a time can be seen... one has to continually scroll down to see all of the events.  Nearly worthless.  I would rather have the entire catalog downloadable as a .csv so I could import it into MS Excel and manipulate it how I chose.  Is this an option?  Can we download the catalog somewhere?

I had to edit the rest of this post... I was ripping in about not having filters for things such as the day of the wee, time of day, type of game, genre, etc..  I then read Marian McBrine's post above. 
Perhaps someone could make the strange filter symbol say "Filter" in addition to the icon.

Thank you, John

Normal
Small
Posted by weaverjk

Suggestions for filter options:

Version of games.... such as D&D:  BEMCI, AD&D 1st Ed, AD&D 2nd Ed, 3, 3.5, 4, 5.
For example, I would prefer not to have to wade through the 3, 3.5, and 4 stuff... and probably not even the 5 options.  Just looking for old-school versions.

It would be nice to filter on learning/teaching session.  It would be great to be able to zoom in on events that are focused on teaching new players how to play their games.

Genres:  science fiction, fantasy, wild west, etc.

Type:  board game, role playing, larp, mystery, escape, etc.

Let's make this search engine more useful in helping attendees find events that they are interested in.

Normal
Small
Posted by dizz weaverjk

weaverjk wrote:
Suggestions for filter options:
Version of games.... such as D&D:  BEMCI, AD&D 1st Ed, AD&D 2nd Ed, 3, 3.5, 4, 5.
For example, I would prefer not to have to wade through the 3, 3.5, and 4 stuff... and probably not even the 5 options.  Just looking for old-school versions.
It would be nice to filter on learning/teaching session.  It would be great to be able to zoom in on events that are focused on teaching new players how to play their games.
Genres:  science fiction, fantasy, wild west, etc.
Type:  board game, role playing, larp, mystery, escape, etc.
Let's make this search engine more useful in helping attendees find events that they are interested in.

There are links to downloadable spreadsheets on this page: https://www.gencon.com/experience/find
One of the columns is for 'edition'.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

If you don't like the search options on the Gen Con site you can try the highprogrammer site

http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2018.cgi/ 

very searchable.  Try searching for Nascrag!

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder weaverjk

weaverjk wrote:
The issues with the catalog have me completely scared for event registration.  It's been 10 years since i have attended Gen Con.  This looks as horrible and messy as ever.
Searched on "dungeon" and found NO results.
Searched on "dragon" and found NO results.
Searched on "dungeon dragon" and found NO results
Searched on "star wars" and found NO results.
Searched on "catan" and found no results.
Basically, the search engine couldn't find anything.  Worthless.
The catalog appears to be available only in the format of day 1 - day 4, one hour at a time, on a single web page, but only X number of events at a time can be seen... one has to continually scroll down to see all of the events.  Nearly worthless.  I would rather have the entire catalog downloadable as a .csv so I could import it into MS Excel and manipulate it how I chose.  Is this an option?  Can we download the catalog somewhere?
I had to edit the rest of this post... I was ripping in about not having filters for things such as the day of the wee, time of day, type of game, genre, etc..  I then read Marian McBrine's post above. 
Perhaps someone could make the strange filter symbol say "Filter" in addition to the icon.
Thank you, John

All of those searches found lots of results when I just tried now - did you accidentally have a filter or search option enabled that would have ruled those results out, perhaps?

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by hoidy nascragman

nascragman wrote:
If you don't like the search options on the Gen Con site you can try the highprogrammer site
http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2018.cgi/ 
very searchable.  Try searching for Nascrag!

This...Just forget the gencon event search exists and use high programmer. Save yourself the headache.

Normal
Small
Posted by moonsun6 roderick

roderick wrote:
crusader77 wrote:
I am assuming this event catalog is not an all inclusive list. There seem to be many events that are normally here every year on the first day, and there's nothing showing. So when is this supposed to be updated?
Do you mean these, from my message about 4 hours ago?: 
"Those, along with puppet and cosplay and anime, and Wednesday events, are not yet active in the system.  Hopefully soon."
​​​​​​​Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

So... 11 days later, Symposium events still aren't listed. When is "hopefully soon"?

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick moonsun6

moonsun6 wrote:
roderick wrote:
crusader77 wrote:
I am assuming this event catalog is not an all inclusive list. There seem to be many events that are normally here every year on the first day, and there's nothing showing. So when is this supposed to be updated?
Do you mean these, from my message about 4 hours ago?: 
"Those, along with puppet and cosplay and anime, and Wednesday events, are not yet active in the system.  Hopefully soon."
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

So... 11 days later, Symposium events still aren't listed. When is "hopefully soon"?

There are three people reviewing all the events. It takes time. I don't have an answer on what "soon" might be.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke moonsun6

moonsun6 wrote:So... 11 days later, Symposium events still aren't listed. When is "hopefully soon"?

Until they're in the catalog, you can at least view the schedule here.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.