Event Catalog Live - What's all missing?
Normal
Small
Posted by impulse411

Hello, this will just be my 2nd GenCon (the first being 3 years ago) and I'm just trying to plan as much as I can.  I know the event catalog just went live today...and I'm just feeling like there are a number of things missing.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm seeing things that I THINK should be there (after looking at the offline catalog from previous years) that likely WILL be posted...just not sure when.  Things like:

Magic the Gathering events (ran by Pasttimes and I see that others have said usually posted late...but how late?)
Writing / Author seminars (maybe I missed them in the catalog search, but seemed like more of these in past)
Other stuff?

I know things just went live today and that we're still 2 weeks before we start registration...so definitely just happy to see some stuff up that I can check out...but also unsure on when ALL items will be posted.  And I figure I'm missing a lot of stuff I just don't have a clue about.  So, 2 questions for folks:

1.  Any major stuff that is currently missing that we know WILL likely be there?  (For myself and for others)

2.  Any ETA when said items will be posted? (based on past precedence or just because you know - will be by X date)

Thanks for the help!

Normal
Small
Posted by leahcim

Link

It was mentioned in this thread there are sections which are not active yet, some events are still going through the approval/posting process, and there are a couple technical glitches they are working through.

Normal
Small
Posted by irrg

It feels really…sparse right now. Lighter schedule from, for example, MCG, and overall just less stuff that stands out to me. 

I also really wish GMs would get a little bit better at describing their games if they target people without prior experience but that’s an uphill battle. 

Normal
Small
Posted by ascantla

I'm glad it's not just me feeling this way

Normal
Small
Posted by impulse411 leahcim

leahcim wrote:
Link
It was mentioned in this thread there are sections which are not active yet, some events are still going through the approval/posting process, and there are a couple technical glitches they are working through.

Yeah, I saw that...just hoping for an ETA kind of deal.  I know they are working hard on things (no doubt about it!), just wondering if they had any official ideas on the timeline.  I just currently plan on waiting another week before really diving into the scheduling...hoping that gets most of the issues taken care of.  

Normal
Small
Posted by koalabro2

Event signup is earlier this year, so I'm not surprised that more people missed the deadline to submit events. Looks like there are currently about 13,000 events, versus 16,000 when the catalog went live last year. As others have noted, Paizo is the biggest name missing at the moment, and it seems safe to assume that'll be addressed shortly.

M:TG is apparently always late to submit events, unfortunately.

Normal
Small
Posted by impulse411 koalabro2

koalabro2 wrote:
Event signup is earlier this year, so I'm not surprised that more people missed the deadline to submit events. Looks like there are currently about 13,000 events, versus 16,000 when the catalog went live last year. As others have noted, Paizo is the biggest name missing at the moment, and it seems safe to assume that'll be addressed shortly.
M:TG is apparently always late to submit events, unfortunately.

Thanks!  Appreciate the breakdown - wow, that's a lot of missing events!  As you said, most are from the Paizo change and the M:TG...although I wonder what else could be gone?

In terms of MTG, I did message Pasttimes.  They said they are waiting on WotC approval and hope to have it all up within the week.  So...at least some kind of timeline there!  

Normal
Small
Posted by koalabro2

True Dungeon also cut the number of events by about 200, so that has an impact too...

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder irrg

irrg wrote:
I also really wish GMs would get a little bit better at describing their games if they target people without prior experience but that’s an uphill battle. 

Pass that feedback along to companies, when you get a chance. I've been banging that drum for years, but only get so much traction. Event organizers are often very busy and may not be aware how much of an impact a quality description can have on attracting interest, especially for a game that doesn't have a lot of awareness yet.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by nscott

"learn to play our new game" as a description isn't much help when trying to pick events, is it.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

There is no Killer Breakfast, but I suspect that it's not coming.

I don't see any of the Writers' Symposium events either.

Normal
Small
Posted by skilletaudio

I monitored last year's event catalog right up until gencon started, and there were many days where groups of new events poured in. I wouldnt consider the catalog settled yet unless gencon says differently.

Normal
Small
Posted by gregdc

I know that Paizo is a big event organizer at GC, but I am not seeing a lot of games listed with their name as host.  I got confused last time by events that used PF rules (sort of) but that wasn't sanctioned PF events.   

Am I missing something or have they not put up their stuff yet? 

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

It was mentioned in another thread. Paizo events aren't done yet. Soon

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314

Locations for about half the games are missing and will NOT be posted before event registration :(

Normal
Small
Posted by allihandra

There aren't any Ascension (Playdec) games listed. They always have game play events and a tournament.

Normal
Small
Posted by koalabro2

On the much-discussed subject of Paizo events, it looks like they're planning to launch with a smaller number of events than normal, then add spots later based on demand: http://paizo.com/community/blog/tags/genCon2018

Between that and the reduced number of True Dungeon tickets, I'm getting the sense that May 6th is going to be quite a scramble!

Normal
Small
Posted by dezy

It would be nice if all events were released the same day, not having to come back every few days to redo schedules because something finally pops up.

Normal
Small
Posted by cigarpete

Main thing I see missing is a functional search engine.

Normal
Small
Posted by yog-sothoth in jersey

I’m really surprised by all the complaints here.  The GC crew can only process the events if they come in on time.  They literally are processing over 10k events.  I’d love to see the events which haven’t been posted yet, but that is the fault of the event submitters (I’m looking at you Magic the Gathering).

Also, I think the search engine is fine.  But I also use highprogrammer or that other one (forget the name) to help supplement if I need to. 

GenCon is a massive undertaking.  I’m frankly impressed at how well GC handles it all. 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post