Lucas Oil
Normal
Small
Posted by jde9942

Is it just me or are there way more events scheduled at Lucas Oil stadium this year??  Looking through the mini's events and even RPG's, I'm seeing Lucas Oil listed as the event location time and time again.  Is there a reason for that? 

Normal
Small
Posted by rogersba

There should definitely be more space generally available on the floor. Mayfair won't be there. I'm guessing the Horticultural Hall/museum won't be there either.

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

Where are you seeing where the events are located? I'm looking at the event schedule and not seeing it.

Normal
Small
Posted by jde9942

I was looking at the spreadsheet download.  Not all events have the location column filled in though. 

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

yeah, I found that most of NHM doesn't have allocated locations. And that is 90% of what I was looking at.

Normal
Small
Posted by frif10kitty

I noticed our events are flagged to be in that location. - my gaming group since I have been involved was always in the ICC hall C (the past 4 years). This year we are at Lucas.

I am a tiny bit concerned, as I heard last year it was hard to find/get to, but once in it, there was lots of space.
I totally get with the growth of the con this could be happening.

anyone else have experience with games there?  How long does it take to get from the ICC gaming hall (c) to the lucas stadium?

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric frif10kitty

frif10kitty wrote:
I noticed our events are flagged to be in that location. - my gaming group since I have been involved was always in the ICC hall C (the past 4 years). This year we are at Lucas.
I am a tiny bit concerned, as I heard last year it was hard to find/get to, but once in it, there was lots of space.
I totally get with the growth of the con this could be happening.
anyone else have experience with games there?  How long does it take to get from the ICC gaming hall (c) to the lucas stadium?
It's probably about a ten minute brisk walk if you know where to go already. Bump it to 15-20 minutes if you have to explore.

It is a huge space.

Normal
Small
Posted by nscott

Just don't go up the escalators when you get to the end. You just end up having to climb down the spectator seating to get back to the playing field.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

We didn't really have a problem last year. Everything was marked fairly well. Take a look at the preshow floor plans that will release later, and then when you get there, just keep your head up and read the signs. I thought Gen Con did a great job with the LOS space last year.

Normal
Small
Posted by drmean

Are all of the miniature events there are just some of the bigger groups? Saw Ottawa Red Shirts are there and a couple of others I usually try for. 

I think that is a really bad move. They moved a lot (most?) of RPG to the JW. And now miniatures at Lucas? They are at the completely opposite ends of the convention now! So I can't sign up for D&D and any miniature event even remotely close in time to each other. And of course the times never line up like that so it's either RPG or miniatures now. Same with True Dungeon. 

I think they are slowing ruining the whole con experience by moving everything out of the center. Yeah, it may be bigger, but what's the point if half the con is unaccessible? Now I'm dying to know just what is going into the old miniature hall. Moving because there wasn't enough space doesn't make sense. Every year I see whole sections of tables that are never used.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager drmean

drmean wrote:
Are all of the miniature events there are just some of the bigger groups? Saw Ottawa Red Shirts are there and a couple of others I usually try for. 
I think that is a really bad move. They moved a lot (most?) of RPG to the JW. And now miniatures at Lucas? They are at the completely opposite ends of the convention now! So I can't sign up for D&D and any miniature event even remotely close in time to each other. And of course the times never line up like that so it's either RPG or miniatures now. Same with True Dungeon. 
I think they are slowing ruining the whole con experience by moving everything out of the center. Yeah, it may be bigger, but what's the point if half the con is unaccessible? Now I'm dying to know just what is going into the old miniature hall. Moving because there wasn't enough space doesn't make sense. Every year I see whole sections of tables that are never used.
According to Google Maps, it is a 13 minute walk from the JW to LOS. There are multiple ways there, inside and out. Shouldn't be too hard to get from one place to the other. Think positive, and say you are going to make it work.

This doesn't make the con inaccessible, just need to pick your events more carefully and plan ahead. LOS is a very cool place. Played Wizkids's Dice Masters there last year. It is a unique experience that immediately felt like Gen Con once we got going.

Keep your head up, and put all the energy you are complaining with into a positive outlook. Remember the most important thing is having fun, and its hard to have fun with that type of attitude.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

If your schedule has you over in LOS anyway, consider trying the Nascrag Pathfinder Tournament.  We're loving all the room there.
We've been running games at Gen Con for 39 years now.

Normal
Small
Posted by gausse andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
drmean wrote:
According to Google Maps, it is a 13 minute walk from the JW to LOS. There are multiple ways there, inside and out. Shouldn't be too hard to get from one place to the other. Think positive, and say you are going to make it work.This doesn't make the con inaccessible, just need to pick your events more carefully and plan ahead. LOS is a very cool place. Played Wizkids's Dice Masters there last year. It is a unique experience that immediately felt like Gen Con once we got going.
Keep your head up, and put all the energy you are complaining with into a positive outlook. Remember the most important thing is having fun, and its hard to have fun with that type of attitude.

Many people have limited mobility and moving events several city blocks apart is indeed ruining the event for many of us!

Normal
Small
Posted by freebiegrabber

So I guess none of you complainers have ever been to the [San Diego] Comic-Con?  Or E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo)?  I've been to both, but never to GenCon.  What I CAN tell you is that as a convention grows (by popularity and sheer attendance), it physically expands. As in: it spreads out like a rash, taking over EVERYTHING in its path: hotels; parking lots; adjacent streets; nearby bars and restaurants, etc.  You get to a point where you just can't physically FIT the entire convention into a convention center.  IMHO, this is a GOOD thing!  With regard to GenCon, it tells the world "We're here; we're gamers; get used to it!"  It lets the world know we're on par with comics and video games in terms of popularity, and we're every bit as legitimate and deserving of a huge-a$$ convention as they are!  If this means that it takes ~20-30 minutes to walk from one end of the festivities to the other, then it's a small price to pay!  Taking in the crowd and ambiance are all part of the collective experience!  Besides, if you've been paying attention to the countless website blogs, podcasts, Reddit posts and GenCon message board posts over the past several weeks/months, they all have a common theme: DO NOT OVERBOOK yourself!  DO NOT try to completely pack your schedule minute-by-minute, day-by-day with back-to-back events scattered across the "campus"!  You'll only frustrate yourself and everyone else.  Give yourself downtime for meals, bathroom breaks, "commuting/travel" and just plain ol' rest, for cryin' out loud!  Don't be THAT guy/girl who shows up 30 minutes late to an event, with a cloud of negativity hanging over your head, blaming everyone and everything but yourself!  Don't force the poor GM to try to decide whether to drop an absent pre-ticketed participant in exchange for an eager (and present) generic ticketholder -- only to have you show up late, hyperventilating, fumbling with your backpack, and demanding that everyone drop what they're doing to listen to your drama!  It's all about having' fun!

Normal
Small
Posted by stuartgreenwell freebiegrabber

freebiegrabber wrote:DO NOT try to completely pack your schedule minute-by-minute, day-by-day with back-to-back events scattered across the "campus"!

Bigger is ok, but it has to be organized.  I am looking to go from a RPG in the JW to an RPG in Lucas Oil, back to an RPG in the JW.  This makes no sense to me.  In addition, I think Lucas Oil is going to be a horrible venue for RPGs based on the noise level last year.

However, the biggest problem is that we can't fully plan for this.  Many of the events are still missing from the catalog.  And. many of the events in the catalog, don't have a location. This is critical information if the convention is going to spread out to a point where travel time is an important dynamic to account for.

Normal
Small
Posted by freebiegrabber

All good points.  From what I can tell, the GenCon staff keeps pointing the finger at events being submitted late (post-deadline), which I don't doubt.  Are we able to "revise" our registration choices after 5/6?  In other words, as new information keeps streaming in post-5/6 (such as new events, changes in location, cancelled events, etc.), can we revise our event selections/purchases as needed?  Or do we all have to form a thousands-deep angry mob at the Will-Call kiosks on opening day?

Normal
Small
Posted by lesleykate freebiegrabber

freebiegrabber wrote:
All good points.  From what I can tell, the GenCon staff keeps pointing the finger at events being submitted late (post-deadline), which I don't doubt.  Are we able to "revise" our registration choices after 5/6?  In other words, as new information keeps streaming in post-5/6 (such as new events, changes in location, cancelled events, etc.), can we revise our event selections/purchases as needed?  Or do we all have to form a thousands-deep angry mob at the Will-Call kiosks on opening day?

You can change events until the shipment date of badges/tickets (or a day or so before). The Ship To Me deadline is June 17, 2018 at 11:59 pm (Eastern). Once that happens, you would need to do the changes at the Con.

Normal
Small
Posted by freebiegrabber lesleykate

lesleykate wrote:
freebiegrabber wrote:

You can change events until the shipment date of badges/tickets (or a day or so before). There should be a date posted somewhere for that.  Once that happens, you would need to do the changes at the Con.

Thanks -- that's good to know!

Normal
Small
Posted by lesleykate

I edited my earlier post to reflect the actual date from the website.

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord stuartgreenwell

stuartgreenwell wrote:
freebiegrabber wrote:DO NOT try to completely pack your schedule minute-by-minute, day-by-day with back-to-back events scattered across the "campus"!
Bigger is ok, but it has to be organized.  I am looking to go from a RPG in the JW to an RPG in Lucas Oil, back to an RPG in the JW.  This makes no sense to me.  In addition, I think Lucas Oil is going to be a horrible venue for RPGs based on the noise level last year.
However, the biggest problem is that we can't fully plan for this.  Many of the events are still missing from the catalog.  And. many of the events in the catalog, don't have a location. This is critical information if the convention is going to spread out to a point where travel time is an important dynamic to account for.
Are you kidding me?  It was SO MUCH quieter on the Lucas Oil Field last year than it's EVER been in the large gaming halls where RPG's get shoved next to other RPGs and Magic tournaments, etc. 

Do yourself a favor and don't schedule back to back to back RPGs (or any events really).  Even if they were all in the same room that's just way too punishing.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post