Lucas Oil
Normal
Small
Posted by selene314 freebiegrabber

freebiegrabber wrote:
All good points.  From what I can tell, the GenCon staff keeps pointing the finger at events being submitted late (post-deadline), which I don't doubt.  
The missing events are late submissions, but Gen Con actually claimed that the lack of locations was intentional!
4/23 newsletter: "Most event locations are not confirmed until after event reg opens, to allow adjustments based on day 1 ticket sales."

And there's a difference between "don't schedule back-to-back events all day with no food breaks" and "you must schedule a full hour of potential travel time between each 1-hour board game." 

It's fine if board games are half a mile away from RPGs - I can plan that travel into my schedule. But putting half of each in LOS and not telling us which ones is a problem.

Normal
Small
Posted by gausse

Been going to GenCon for 15+ years now. The quality of the experience has really decreased for me the last 3-4 years. It wouldn't be bad if they had to use Lucas for a specialty type event, like when they put cosplay out there. Maybe put card games like Magic/Pokémon there. But this year its board games like Ticket to Ride, miniature gaming and RPGs. It's becoming a hot mess. From what I can see the ICC is not even being fully utilized, nor are the nearby attached hotels. With the hotel lotto, and now the event lotto. It's just becoming a crapshoot and the experience and value is quickly decreasing. May be time to either get a better organizer, move the venue to someplace that can actually handle it, or I guess just tell us all to just go to Origins instead.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager gausse

gausse wrote:
Been going to GenCon for 15+ years now. The quality of the experience has really decreased for me the last 3-4 years. It wouldn't be bad if they had to use Lucas for a specialty type event, like when they put cosplay out there. Maybe put card games like Magic/Pokémon there. But this year its board games like Ticket to Ride, miniature gaming and RPGs. It's becoming a hot mess. From what I can see the ICC is not even being fully utilized, nor are the nearby attached hotels. With the hotel lotto, and now the event lotto. It's just becoming a crapshoot and the experience and value is quickly decreasing. May be time to either get a better organizer, move the venue to someplace that can actually handle it, or I guess just tell us all to just go to Origins instead.
You have to remember last year a large portion of LOS was being used by Mayfair, Wizkids, and the Gen Con 50 exhibit. Mayfair will not be there, I have not seen any Wizkids activities, and the exhibit probably won't return either. That is a a lot of extra space to use. It would be silly not to send more events there and open up space in the ICC. If you are a Gate 10 parker, LOS is super convenient. Even if you are in one of the DT hotels on the other side, it isn't hard to get to.

You can't just say "Move all the events I don't care about to LOS". That may not have been your intent, but it was how the post came off.

LOS is beautiful and easy to get to. Playing games there is a nice change of pace from the crazy halls of the ICC. Everyone needs to relax, take a deep breath, and go with the flow. Gen Con would never have grown as big and awesome as it is, without evolving and expanding. Be a little more open minded, and willing to change. And if your experience, is truly that awful, then yeah, don't go. But I doubt it truly is that bad.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

I've been playing in and running Nascrag Tournament events at GenCon for over 30 years.  Top spot for sound quality was probably back in Milwaukee in the Mecca basketball arena with the pipe and drape.  The LOS is a close second.

(not sure how much of that preference is nostalgia, but Mecca was great)

Seriously, its a stadium built for 70,000 people.  I don't think that at any point last year there were more than maybe 500 or 600 people playing on the field.  There was a nice lively buzz, but nothing like the ear-splitting volume of a packed smaller room in the ICC.

I feel for the people with physical challenges that prevent them from making the 10 minute leisurely walk over to the LOS.  Hopefully you can find an alternative method of transportation.

Normal
Small
Posted by stuartgreenwell bithlord

I would suggest not projecting what is "punishing," because everyone is differnet. However, back-to-back boardgames, especially short ones, would be "punishing" to very few. What would be punishing to all, is to have to leave one event before it finished or arrive at the other late, and hope no one took your seat.

And if every game I wanted to play was performed every hour, then sure, no problem.  But, we all know it's a delicate dance to fit what we want to do into a schedule.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

To the GenCon people: will there be food options at LoS this year? It would be nice if they opened up the food stations actually in the stadium.

Normal
Small
Posted by jedikitty

Not a Gen Con people, but there were food trucks outside there last year, so I can only assume there will be again.There were a few areas of food trucks altogether - Capitol, Georgia, St John's Catholic Church, and along South Street.

Apologies if you knew that and mean specifically inside the stadium and not just very nearby. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by rong helenbb

helenbb wrote:
To the GenCon people: will there be food options at LoS this year? It would be nice if they opened up the food stations actually in the stadium.

I thought I remembered purchasing food in the stadium last year (hot dog and pretzel) at one of the concession stands. It was a full year though, so I could be misremembering or misplacing the occurrence.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager rong

rong wrote:
helenbb wrote:

I thought I remembered purchasing food in the stadium last year (hot dog and pretzel) at one of the concession stands. It was a full year though, so I could be misremembering or misplacing the occurrence.
Yeah, I bought food over there too. Its just basic concession food but they do have a few things. You have to go up the stairs from the field to the main concourse area of the stadium.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

Thanks guys! Yeah, I meant inside the stadium, since it's much more convenient. I'm not looking for gourmet, but soemthing to grab if I'm short on tme and about to sit down for a 4 hour RPG. 

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer

Just like last year there will be food trucks on South street.
Also, concessions will be open at some locations inside.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by ladyimm

I use a rollator (one of those walkers with the seats) and I got to Lucas Oil just fine - no issues with the distance or anything. The only issue I had was the hill going from and back into the ICC (downhill one way, uphill the other) - it's a bit daunting on my braces - but I managed it anyway (and Nascrag is worth it people!)

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman ladyimm

ladyimm wrote:
I use a rollator (one of those walkers with the seats) and I got to Lucas Oil just fine - no issues with the distance or anything. The only issue I had was the hill going from and back into the ICC (downhill one way, uphill the other) - it's a bit daunting on my braces - but I managed it anyway (and Nascrag is worth it people!)

Thanks for making the effort, lady imm.  You're worth having!

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21

I'm not happy that they decided to put some miniatures in Lucas Oil, and some Board Games there.  I understand the convention growing and needing to  spread out, but why in the world would you choose to split up the location of specific categories?  All board games need to be in either ICC or LOS.  All miniature events (NMN/HMN) need to be in either ICC or LOS.  It makes scheduling much easier and it makes sense.

Lastly, I don't see any reason that any RPG's should be in LOS.  They should all be in hotels or the ICC.  You can't tell me there isn't enough room - especially after considering that you've moved the above said, miniatures and board games out of ICC.

Come on, this shouldn't be so difficult!

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

Event types were not moved to Lucas Oil, gaming groups and companies were.

The line between miniatures and board games has become increasingly blurred lately and there has not been a clear distinction between the two in the event hall for years.

Gaming groups and companies often need all/most of their events to be kept together (regardless of event type) and many of them do not stay within convenient categories, either.

We are not going to break up an organization's space for the convenience of strict categorization (even if I am a stickler for such whenever feasible - just ask anyone who submits games & has to go through some revisions with me).

Again, events of almost all kinds were at Lucas Oil last year, so that has not changed. There are simply many more events there this year.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

I have different concern with event locations. Last year there was a group in the main event hall that was so loud and disruptive with their loud speakers that it was hard for anyone within probably 50 feet to enjoy their event or even hear each other. Looking at the map from last year I think it was in the MAGIC area. I really hope their events are moved to either Lucas Oil or to their own room within the ICC. No one group or event should be allowed to disrupt so any others.

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

Magic has not moved, but if you encounter a disruptive event, please let us know during the convention so we can address it right then. Stop by the nearby event HQ and ask us to look into it so we can get the event down to a reasonable volume.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by ladyimm

I loved the ambience of Nascrag in LOS -- we're a rowdy, lively bunch and the LOS absorbed our noisiness quite well.  And it wasn't a cacophony. Anyway, I thought it worked out well last year. :)

Be open to change people... you just might have fun!

Normal
Small
Posted by toppro

I personally love the LOS and playing in events there. It's really not loud compared to a hotel convention room packed with RPGs and I personally find the walk quick and easy. This is my 7th (I think lol) Gen Con over the last 12 years or so and the expansions have made it so much more manageable. I don't feel nearly as crushed by crowds as I did when I first started coming.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.