Best way to register?
Normal
Small
Posted by jackalope

Should I register multiple events at the same time in the hopes of getting one...or should I just work out a schedule with no conflicts and try to register it first?

Normal
Small
Posted by jamster2022

Great question. I've been wondering about this myself. Do I put the perfect schedule at the top of my wish list followed in total by a backup schedule, or put a backup event for each event in the next slot on the wishlist?

Normal
Small
Posted by koalabro2

First, jamster2022: doesn't matter. The system processes your entire wishlist instantaneously. As long as your first choice for each timeslot is above your backup for that timeslot, the order relative to your choices in other timeslots is irrelevant.

jackalope: I would definitely advise selecting one or more backups for each timeslot (unless you're OK with a sparse schedule if you get a bad queue placement. Some people are happy to have the extra free time to wander the expo hall, etc.)

Normal
Small
Posted by jamster2022

Thank you, koalabro! That's very good to know.

Normal
Small
Posted by xone0101

Just to make sure that I understand how the list process works: it will only fill one event for any given time slot, correct? I just want to make sure that i don't accidentally pay for multiple events at the same time.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

The system will always prioritize your top ranked available game for each time slot. I recommend major redundancy if you want to be sure to get something - for example, last time I did True Dungeon, I put ~35 slots of it on my wishlist. Then when my list was processed I actually got to choose between two of them. The rest were already full.

Once your list processes you can always reject some choices before you check out, so don't worry about "accidentally" buying an event. The way the event wishlist is processed it's to your advantage to list everything you might maybe want to do, and then make your real choices from whatever is left after the feeding frenzy in May.

Normal
Small
Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn? xone0101

xone0101 wrote:
Just to make sure that I understand how the list process works: it will only fill one event for any given time slot, correct? I just want to make sure that i don't accidentally pay for multiple events at the same time.

That's right - It will not double-book you.
It's worth paying attention to where events are happening though - it won't stop you from booking events on opposite sides of the convention with no gap between them to actually make the trip.

Normal
Small

it can be fun to run away wrote:
xone0101 wrote:

It's worth paying attention to where events are happening though - it won't stop you from booking events on opposite sides of the convention with no gap between them to actually make the trip.

Awesome, for events that don't have a location listed is there a way to know where they will be? Are they assumed to be in the convention hall somewhere, or can they just wherever?

Normal
Small

xone0101 wrote:

Also be aware that if a friend buys you a ticket to an event it will still block you from buying something else from that same time slot.

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice xone0101

xone0101 wrote:
xone0101 wrote:

Awesome, for events that don't have a location listed is there a way to know where they will be? Are they assumed to be in the convention hall somewhere, or can they just wherever?

No.  There is no way to know where they are if they are not currently assigned.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Just my experience: as long as you do not have any impairments to your mobility, making it from one side of the convention to the other is very doable - I book back-to-back frequently and its never been an issue (though I've sometimes needed to hussle).

In my experience, most GMs give a few minutes for people to arrive before they jump into the game.  They assume players are enroute and if you arrive a few minutes late (5-10 minutes), its usually not a problem.  Once you know where things are located, just let the current GM know at the start of the game that you have another game immediately following and may have to leave 5 minutes early at the end. 

If you don't think you can manage the transition to arrive at each game within that 5-10 minute grace period then, yeah, don't sign-up for back-to-back games.

I've never seen this be an issue; we all know what its like and GMs and Players are usually pretty forgiving.  Dropping into a game more than 15 minutes late?  Yeah, that would be annoying; please don't do that.

Normal
Small
Posted by cinnibar

As a note, Google Maps gave a time of 12 minutes walking from the Lucas Oil to Embassy Suites (seminars are in both places), just between the outside doors.  Plan accordingly, especially with one-hour events.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:I've never seen this be an issue; we all know what its like and GMs and Players are usually pretty forgiving.  Dropping into a game more than 15 minutes late?  Yeah, that would be annoying; please don't do that.

Also, if the GM gave an email address, you can contact them ahead of time to let them know that you might be a bit late. Another option is to let the GM of your previous game know that you might have to leave a few minutes early.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 jackalope

jackalope wrote:
Should I register multiple events at the same time in the hopes of getting one...or should I just work out a schedule with no conflicts and try to register it first?

Reiterating what others have said:

1.  The system won't purchase tickets for overlapping slots unless the event organizer has flagged the event as the sort that should allow overlaps (like a tournament).

2.  So, you can pick say your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice for each time slot, cram them all in your wishlist, and then get ready to submit your wishlist at the opening of registration on the day of.

If you get your 1st choice - great!  The system won't add 2nd and 3rd choices that conflict with it.  If not, then it will move on down to your 2nd, 3rd choice etc.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.