Help me pick a pathfinder?
Normal
Small
Posted by lekohles

Hi all :)

My friends and I are terrible at role playing games... but that being said ending up in the pathfinder ballroom playing as a group was about the best GenCon experience I've had.  We had a blast, and we've done it two or three times now, but I swear we always pick the wrong events.  Can someone more experienced help me choose a pathfinder group event for some inexperienced, impatient nerds who really just want to roll dice to see if they can throw dead bodies at doors and other horrible things?  

I was trying to figure it out by looking at the event schedule but I got kind of overwhelmed, so any guidance would be appreciated!

Thank you!  

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce

I don't think the official Paizo run events in the ballroom have been posted yet.  In general if you're not fairly familiar with the pathfinder rules I would recommend looking for ones that are listed as for levels 1-4.  You can pick up level 1 pre-generated characters and proceed to fight.  I'm pretty sure there are pre-gen characters available at higher levels that would work for any of the events, but if you're dropping into an event for levels 11-15 or something your character will have a lot more options to think through which could slow the game down if you're not familiar with them.  The numbering system on most of the events is basically Season-story with a few special events in the evenings.  In theory you could drop into any story number but there might be some things related to the overall storyline you wouldn't appreciate.

Another option for this year might be to look for the Pathfinder 2nd edition playtest sessions.  The beta version of the rules will be released at Gen Con I think so I anticipate some of the ballroom events will be related to that.  Really nobody should be expected to know the rules going into that so you'd be on a fairly even level with most other people.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

If you're looking to have some not-so-serious fun, try Nascrag.  We're rules-light - Roleplaying heavy.  We encourage outrageous accents and getting up out of your chair.

We do like you to have some famiarity with the pathfinder rules, but just enough to understand the basics.

Normal
Small
Posted by twilightknight

All the Pathfinder events have been submitted. We're just waiting on Gen Con to process/approve/upload them to the catalog. Hopefully, that'll happen very soon.

To the OP. Sounds like you have at least some experience playing Pathfinder so unless you feel you need to be considered a n00b at this point, I'll just give some general advice. First, the Thursday night and especially the Friday night special events are always in high demand. With nearly 200 tables all playing the same adventure scaled for their level at the same time is an experience everyone should try at least once. Most of our players return every year for the next installment. Friday night is the kick-off event for our new season of organized play and introduces the community to the meta-plot that will be explored throughout the year.

As far as our "normal" events, we have more than 20 individual scenarios scheduled repeatedly throughout the calendar. If you need pregens, we have them available (more than 30 options available). If you have your own characters, I'll assume they are low level so let's focus on those events. We have the intro adventures, 5-08 The Confirmation, 6-10 The Wounded Wisp, and 7-10 The Consortium Compact which are both replayable and provide an introduction to the Pathfinder Society and organized play. If you have never played those, I highly encourage you to do so.

Next, we have seven low level (1-5) adventures being offered from our existing season nine material:
9-06 The Shores of Heaven
9-08 Birthright Betrayed
9-10 Signs in Senghor
9-12 Shrine of the Sacred Tempest
9-14 Down the Verdant Path
9-16 Fallen Family, Broken Name
9-22 TBA
All of these are excellent choices for low-level play. If you want to know more about the actual adventures you can go over to the Paizo website and read a brief description of the story. No spoilers please! :-D

Additionally, we will have three brand-new scenarios released at Gen Con, of which one is a low level (1-5) adventure. Title TBA

Of course this is just a portion of our overall events which include Starfinder, Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Academy (games directed at our youth players), and don't forget the playtest for the upcoming Pathfinder RPG Second Edition. The playtest launches at Gen Con and we will have tables of it running in virtually every slot as well as 30-60 minute demos running in the exhibit hall next to the Paizo booth and a few free-to-play tables of it running in the Sagamore ballroom along side all the rest of our events.

I hope this helps. If not feel free to check out our messageboards on the Paizo website where we have plenty of society members who can help you find the best games for your group. And if you arrive at Gen Con and need more assistance, we have an Info Desk designed just for that in the middle of the ballroom. Stop by and say hi!

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf twilightknight

twilightknight wrote:
First, the Thursday night and especially the Friday night special events are always in high demand.
Thursday and Friday nights? Aren't they usually on Friday and Saturday nights, or is that going to change this year? I may be mistaken, but I have always played in the large multi-table events of the last few years on Friday and Saturday. Just checking...

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce twilightknight

twilightknight wrote: First, the Thursday night and especially the Friday night special events are always in high demand. With nearly 200 tables all playing the same adventure scaled for their level at the same time is an experience everyone should try at least once. Most of our players return every year for the next installment. Friday night is the kick-off event for our new season of organized play and introduces the community to the meta-plot that will be explored throughout the year.

I'll second that it's a very interesting experience worth attending once to see.  The organization to pull it off is fairly impressive.  The one I attended you had some minor ways to interact directly with the tables around you and then there was the overall task result tracking for all the tables in the ballroom projected on a screen so everybody could see how it was going.

That said I don't think I'll probably be doing another one as a level 1 pre-gen.  By the second half of the event it felt like our table of low level characters couldn't complete tasks fast enough to have an impact on the overall result of the event.  I don't know if that was specific to our players or a generic problem based on low characters having less abilities to unload on things to kill quickly.

The role-playing to battle ratio was different from many of the regular adventures.  This felt more tilted to fighting.  Depending on how you like to play that could be a good or bad thing (and maybe it was specific to the one I went to and not a general rule for these).

New Post Sign in to write a new post.