Gen Con Event Planner v2 is now up!!!
Normal
Small
Posted by intensegaminglogic

Since last year’s version got so much positive feedback, this year I thought I'd get ahead of the ball and release the new version of the Gen Con Event Planner BEFORE event registration opened up ;) You can download the new version from here: http://christophergoodwin.info/uploads/genconeventplanner/publish.htm

For those of you who do not know about my planner software, it is a piece of software that aims to help you easily schedule all of your Gen Con events for you and your group. You can see my post from last year's version on this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/gencon/comments/6ki76i/gen_con_event_scheduler/. The layout of the application is the same as before, so if you are new to the application, be sure to check out the previous thread for basic instructions.

Now let's get into the new features!

• PRINTING!!! – This version allows you to print out your daily schedules, as well as a list of your event data (name, location, cost, etc.). In the upper right-hand corner of the application, you will notice 2 new buttons. Print Schedule will generate and print your daily schedule. Print Events will print an EXACT COPY of what is in the Attending Events grid. Make sure to get rid of columns you don’t want in that grid before clicking the Print Events button. Same as the last version, to get rid of a column simply click it and drag it out of the data grid completely. If you straight-up just click the Print Events button without removing any columns, I guarantee you that it’s going to look SUPER squished.
  • Automatic Updating – This version will automatically update the events every time the application is opened. It updates based on the Excel file that Gen Con provides us, which they update twice per day. This will help especially in filtering out events with no tickets available.
  • Self-Updates – From now on, starting with this version, the software will update itself, so if there is ever a new version, it will ask you if you want to grab it instead of having to uninstall and reinstall the application by hand every time.
  • General Performance Upgrades.

Hopefully you all enjoy it, and as always, I’m definitely open to feature requests :)

Normal
Small
Posted by drmean

I just gave it a try and it looks pretty useful. Great job. I've just been copying events back and forth into Excel to make a timeline and plan out my wish list for registration. That gets cumbersome pretty quick though.

I've got 2 feature requests that would help in creating a wishlist. One is to add the location and event ID# to the name in the colored bar in the actual timeline. Like, instead of 'Game X' in the green miniature bar, make it something like '[NMN383848] Game X (Lucus Oil Stadium)'. I'm adding in several events for each time slot in order to make my wish list. It would really help to see where each event is when looking at the timeline so I know if I can actually make it from event to the next in time. And having the event number in the timeline would make it really easy to add it to the wishlist.

And the other would be to unlock the label colors if possible. It sure would be nice to be able to change the event colors. Then the events could be color coded by wishlist order, like first choice events could be blue, 2nd choice green, etc.

I'm going to start copying my rough Excel schedule over to you planner now to try to get it organized for registration. Thanks for sharing it!

Normal
Small
Posted by intensegaminglogic drmean

drmean wrote:
I just gave it a try and it looks pretty useful. Great job. I've just been copying events back and forth into Excel to make a timeline and plan out my wish list for registration. That gets cumbersome pretty quick though.
I've got 2 feature requests that would help in creating a wishlist. One is to add the location and event ID# to the name in the colored bar in the actual timeline. Like, instead of 'Game X' in the green miniature bar, make it something like '[NMN383848] Game X (Lucus Oil Stadium)'. I'm adding in several events for each time slot in order to make my wish list. It would really help to see where each event is when looking at the timeline so I know if I can actually make it from event to the next in time. And having the event number in the timeline would make it really easy to add it to the wishlist.
And the other would be to unlock the label colors if possible. It sure would be nice to be able to change the event colors. Then the events could be color coded by wishlist order, like first choice events could be blue, 2nd choice green, etc.
I'm going to start copying my rough Excel schedule over to you planner now to try to get it organized for registration. Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks for the awesome feedback! A patch was just pushed that fixes a small issue with loading but also adds your feature request that was made about the text of the labels. Unfortunately, doing the label colors is going to be a bit harder, as if I give you permissions to do that, it forces me to give the users a bunch of other label editing features that I'm not ready to support yet, but I will continue looking into it. The current color scheme is by the event type.

In theory, the next time you open the app, it SHOULD grab the new patch, but if for some reason it doesn't, you can go back to the download website and click the "launch" link. That will force the new update.

Normal
Small
Posted by rvhguy

Any word on a web or Mac version of this? I was just thinking I'd really love an event planner.

Normal
Small
Posted by intensegaminglogic rvhguy

rvhguy wrote:
Any word on a web or Mac version of this? I was just thinking I'd really love an event planner.

I am definitely reviewing the option, but I am not sure that all the features of the controls I am using are supported on mac / the web. The good news is that I do in fact know that at least some of the controls I am using are supported for both, I just don't know to what extent. I will keep you posted as I move forward.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.