Arcade Game Room?
Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

Last year, they had a room of arcade games you could get unlimited play on for a specific period of time.  Is that going to be around this year?  I wanted to buy an all day pass for it for either Friday or Saturday, but I can't seem to find that in the event catalog.

Normal
Small
Posted by wolnir

My group is wondering this as well.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

No idea, but last year they had around 7-9 arcade games in the hall way linking to Lucas oil..

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

Yes, there will be both a room, roughly where it was last year, and games in the hall way.  Hopefully we'll get these in listings soon, but rest assured those will both return.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
Yes, there will be both a room, roughly where it was last year, and games in the hall way.  Hopefully we'll get these in listings soon, but rest assured those will both return.
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Woo! Gonna get some Q*Bert time in again this year!

Normal
Small
Posted by jedikitty

Thanks, Marian, that's great news. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

Will they have gauntlet (ANY of the versions)?!

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent garhkal

garhkal wrote:
No idea, but last year they had around 7-9 arcade games in the hall way linking to Lucas oil..
I think those were ordinary coin-operated.  There was also a dedicated room, near where the auction was, that was unlimited plays for a specific duration, for just a flat fee.

Normal
Small

I'm glad the arcade room will be back.  Last year I played some rail shooter game for a long time.  On one of the later levels, it turns into this bullet filled slog where the path of advancement is unclear and the bosses had like a billion hit points.  As I grew tired and gave up, I started to think "I cannot imagine how expensive this would have been if I had to keep putting money in there".

I'd only gotten 1 hour in there that day but will probably get an all day pass for Friday and / or Saturday.

Normal
Small
Posted by weaverjk

A few games I recall from the late 80s....

Rastan - I believe it was this game.  Was a game with a fighter on a side-scrolling game.  Had to jump and swing a sword a lot.  I recall a particular screen with a flying "wizard" that went in circles.  I got to the point where I could beat the game on a single quarter in 1.25-1.5 hours.

Pinball - Whirlwind.

I spent way too many hours and quarters on these thanks to begin lonely in college and having a 24-hour Seven-Eleven store nearby.  

What 80s arcade games did you play?

Normal
Small

So it's in the event catalog now, but only in 1 hour blocks.  I thought there was an option to buy an all day pass.  Am I misremembering from last year?  Will there be all day passes this year?

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf weaverjk

weaverjk wrote:What 80s arcade games did you play?

I played the iconic ones when they came out (I earned my allowance in quarters!), Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Galaxian (and Galaga), Defender, Donkey Kong, Joust, Tempest, and Zaxxon. Later I played a lot of Dragon’s Lair, Gauntlet, and Pit Fighter.

Normal
Small
Posted by aldctjoc garhkal

garhkal wrote:
Will they have gauntlet (ANY of the versions)?!

It's a bit hard to tell. Last year, I think 3 of the machines were the multiple-game ones, so you'd have to scroll through a pretty fair number of titles to see if a specific one was there. Worse yet, if some of them required special controls - like the vector graphic Star Wars, or the original Tron game - then the generic joystick + buttons setup on those machines were not conductive to play.

But those are quibbles. I'm happy they're there, even with all those problems. I'm hoping they sell an all-day pass so I can just squeeze in between times and play. I'll be there in a heartbeat, happy as hell to get that screen time in. 

Normal
Small
Posted by stormforge

Retro games were awesome, especially as a late teenager from the 1980-1983 years, so many sweet games. Tron, Robotron, Defender/ Stargate, Tempest, Gorf, Galaga/ Galaxian, Battle Zone Disney's Dragonslayer. Dragonslayer was unique back then as it was one of the first games to cost 50cents and we were outraged at such a high price for a game, especially since it was part, let the game tell the story after you were lucky enough to hit a certain mark for jumping across chasms and such.

Normal
Small
Posted by fukata

I was pretty disappointed with the Arcade Game room last year, there were exactly as many people in the room as there were machines to play on, some of the machines were broken, and of course the most interesting machines were always busy.
Waste of tickets, in my opinion, due to them trying to get way more people (and tickets) than the room could support correctly.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust fukata

fukata wrote:
I was pretty disappointed with the Arcade Game room last year, there were exactly as many people in the room as there were machines to play on, some of the machines were broken, and of course the most interesting machines were always busy.
Waste of tickets, in my opinion, due to them trying to get way more people (and tickets) than the room could support correctly.

I agree that the number of broken machines was a problem.

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb

I thought the selection of games inside the arcade was pretty meh.   The multiplayer bee game was ok, otherwise it felt like it was full of not so classic 'b' cabinets.  

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent rodoubleb

rodoubleb wrote:
I thought the selection of games inside the arcade was pretty meh.   The multiplayer bee game was ok, otherwise it felt like it was full of not so classic 'b' cabinets.  

I sort of agree, but I didn't have huge expectations.  I just wanted to play some video games that I don't usually play, whatever they were.  I didn't notice a lot of broken machines.

Normal
Small

Just took a look at the events catalog, and it appears that the "Full Day" option is available now for $20 a day.  I need to figure out if I want to do Friday or Saturday.

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
Just took a look at the events catalog, and it appears that the "Full Day" option is available now for $20 a day.  I need to figure out if I want to do Friday or Saturday.

I saw that, but that entry says "With consoles from Atari to NES, Genesis to PlayStation, and hundreds of games to choose from we are sure to have something to hit that nostalgia sweet spot." That made me think it was more consoles, ie Atari, Wii, X-Box, etc., and less big box arcade games. Does anyone have any insight into that?

Sign in to write a new post. New Post