Age "requirements" question
2
2
Normal
Small
Posted by ladye

Please be aware that some of us chose 18+ events because we don't want to have to filter ourselves around children. If you bring your child to even just sit in on an 18+ event, don't get mad at us for not filtering ourselves around YOUR young children. And for the record, I don't have children, and that's a good thing.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust ladye

ladye wrote:
Please be aware that some of us chose 18+ events because we don't want to have to filter ourselves around children. If you bring your child to even just sit in on an 18+ event, don't get mad at us for not filtering ourselves around YOUR young children. And for the record, I don't have children, and that's a good thing.

Agreed!

Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42

I would think that any parent registering for an 18 or 21+ event with children tagging along would be considering that, but perhaps I have more faith in people than they deserve. For myself and my boy, everything I bought tickets for was listed as 6+, with the exception of 5th edition events that I specifically came to the boards to inquire about before signing up. I get that some people do not want to play with kids, and targeting 18 + events to minimize that issue is a great idea. However, if your argument is that you paid to play and shouldn't have to play with kids because it hurts your enjoyment of the game, then my response would be better luck next time. I've played many games at the convention with adults who acted like children and/or, for whatever reason, brought the game down for me. It's a risk you take playing at conventions.  You don't get to approve or deny who sits at the table with you and sometimes you get a group that you just do not click with. The parent and their kid paid the same thing as you did so your opinions on the game are no more valuable than theirs. If the host has no issues with it, then do what you enjoy. 

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal funny-shaped dice

weaverjk wrote
From a parental point of view, it's a consideration of whether or not swear words will be used, whether topics, verbiage, and jokes will include content beyond what we believe to be appropriate for our children.
Aside from the 13+ role-playing sessions, I was considering whether or not it would be appropriate for our family to attend some of the 18+ comedy and musical events.  In other words, if the content isn't too excessive for our children, then our family sitting by ourselves will not likely interfere with anyone else's enjoyment.
 

It's not just age appropriate-ness (such as will there be cuss words etc), that is a reason an age limit might be there, but whether the kid(s) can maintain focus on the game.  Additionally, some kids may be 'more' mature than their age might show, but how is the DM/GM/Organizer to know that?
ascantla wrote:
I've had children under the age requirement that were great to play with and I've had 1 time where i had to pull the parent aside and let them know that their child was causing an issue at the table. 
Most of the time we're dealing with children of gamers, children who know how to respect a game and an event and i would have no issue dealing with any of them. 

Of the times i've had younger kids (10 and under), i'd say i've had the latter (pull the parent aside, or they pulled their own kid out), more than the former..  Mostly cause the kid got cranky..
weaverjk wrote:And then there are the adults that act like children...  During a home game, I once had a parent throw an absolute, over-the-top childish fit when that person's character was killed in combat.  I think it made us all want to leave the room.
 

Been there, seen that.  Many moons back at Origins, i had one guy on a table who was having such a bad dice day, he just seemed to mope around for half the time at the table..  Had another one, almost want to FLIP the table, cause of a bad call HE made, then when the DM said "well you made the call even with warnings, here's the ramifications of it"...
terryh708 wrote:
As a GM i set a minimum age bases on how adult the content of my session will be.  last year i set 18 due to some torture scenes in the session, this year it is 13...i always will require a parent or guardian to stay with the young players.  have had experience where the parent dropped off the young player (14) then disappeared for the next 6 hours with no contact information left with me as DM.  Best advice given, contact the DM and ask.

14 or so, i'd be ok with the parent leaving to game on his or her own.  12 and under though, i do feel the parent should stay there too..
funny-shaped dice wrote:
Finally: GMs - its your table.  For 13+ events, I'm not opposed to younger players at the table within reason (see above) - but then its your responsibility to ensure that the spotlight moves appropriately; obvious weirdness, off-premise, off-genre play is tamped down; and that ample opportunity is given to other players to interrupt inappropriate behavior from the less mature players (regardless of age).  Allowing an immature player to cause chaos at the table ("I spit in the King's face and tell him he's ugly", "I run up and grab the loot", "I steal the other player's magic ring", whatever) without redirecting (or rejecting) their behavior is not cool. 

Linked to that, if you do allow kids there, its IMO also the DM's responsibility to control the adults..  (such as when one accidently cusses)..

 

Normal
Small
Posted by ladye galvatron42

galvatron42 wrote:
I would think that any parent registering for an 18 or 21+ event with children tagging along would be considering that, but perhaps I have more faith in people than they deserve. For myself and my boy, everything I bought tickets for was listed as 6+, with the exception of 5th edition events that I specifically came to the boards to inquire about before signing up. I get that some people do not want to play with kids, and targeting 18 + events to minimize that issue is a great idea. However, if your argument is that you paid to play and shouldn't have to play with kids because it hurts your enjoyment of the game, then my response would be better luck next time. I've played many games at the convention with adults who acted like children and/or, for whatever reason, brought the game down for me. It's a risk you take playing at conventions.  You don't get to approve or deny who sits at the table with you and sometimes you get a group that you just do not click with. The parent and their kid paid the same thing as you did so your opinions on the game are no more valuable than theirs. If the host has no issues with it, then do what you enjoy. 
My experience is otherwise. Both with having to cut subject matter and language around other people's kids. When I choose and 18+ game I really do want to not have young children around. All other games, I understand might have kids and I'm ready to play with them. I'm good with that.

Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42 ladye

ladye wrote:
galvatron42 wrote:
I would think that any parent registering for an 18 or 21+ event with children tagging along would be considering that, but perhaps I have more faith in people than they deserve. For myself and my boy, everything I bought tickets for was listed as 6+, with the exception of 5th edition events that I specifically came to the boards to inquire about before signing up. I get that some people do not want to play with kids, and targeting 18 + events to minimize that issue is a great idea. However, if your argument is that you paid to play and shouldn't have to play with kids because it hurts your enjoyment of the game, then my response would be better luck next time. I've played many games at the convention with adults who acted like children and/or, for whatever reason, brought the game down for me. It's a risk you take playing at conventions.  You don't get to approve or deny who sits at the table with you and sometimes you get a group that you just do not click with. The parent and their kid paid the same thing as you did so your opinions on the game are no more valuable than theirs. If the host has no issues with it, then do what you enjoy. 
My experience is otherwise. Both with having to cut subject matter and language around other people's kids. When I choose and 18+ game I really do want to not have young children around. All other games, I understand might have kids and I'm ready to play with them. I'm good with that.
That is perfectly reasonable I think. Is it common for parents to bring children to 18+ events? Hopefully it will not be an issue for you going forward.

Normal
Small
Posted by ladye galvatron42

galvatron42 wrote:
ladye wrote:
galvatron42 wrote:
I would think that any parent registering for an 18 or 21+ event with children tagging along would be considering that, but perhaps I have more faith in people than they deserve. For myself and my boy, everything I bought tickets for was listed as 6+, with the exception of 5th edition events that I specifically came to the boards to inquire about before signing up. I get that some people do not want to play with kids, and targeting 18 + events to minimize that issue is a great idea. However, if your argument is that you paid to play and shouldn't have to play with kids because it hurts your enjoyment of the game, then my response would be better luck next time. I've played many games at the convention with adults who acted like children and/or, for whatever reason, brought the game down for me. It's a risk you take playing at conventions.  You don't get to approve or deny who sits at the table with you and sometimes you get a group that you just do not click with. The parent and their kid paid the same thing as you did so your opinions on the game are no more valuable than theirs. If the host has no issues with it, then do what you enjoy. 
My experience is otherwise. Both with having to cut subject matter and language around other people's kids. When I choose and 18+ game I really do want to not have young children around. All other games, I understand might have kids and I'm ready to play with them. I'm good with that.
That is perfectly reasonable I think. Is it common for parents to bring children to 18+ events? Hopefully it will not be an issue for you going forward.
I don't know. I mean, not to the Burlesques or some of the other things where ID's are checked. We have more 18 and over things this year than in the past. But someone on here was mentioning possibly doing that.

Normal
Small
Posted by sindee ladye

ladye wrote:
Please be aware that some of us chose 18+ events because we don't want to have to filter ourselves around children. If you bring your child to even just sit in on an 18+ event, don't get mad at us for not filtering ourselves around YOUR young children. And for the record, I don't have children, and that's a good thing.
I am a parent, i cannot not filter around children. It is one of the things that makes it uncomfortable. I have to act more parent like if a child is in earshot.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal sindee

sindee wrote:
ladye wrote:
Please be aware that some of us chose 18+ events because we don't want to have to filter ourselves around children. If you bring your child to even just sit in on an 18+ event, don't get mad at us for not filtering ourselves around YOUR young children. And for the record, I don't have children, and that's a good thing.
I am a parent, i cannot not filter around children. It is one of the things that makes it uncomfortable. I have to act more parent like if a child is in earshot.

Same here, even though i am not a parent myself.  Its just common practice for me, that if i see a kid nearby, curtail my more 'salty talk'..

Normal
Small
Posted by brumcg

On a related note, I'm 53 and tend to avoid the 18+ events (especially RPGs).   I wouldn't be comfortable sitting around a table with people I don't know exploring R-rated themes.

That said, I have played in two 13+ RPG events that were R-rated.  I was very uncomfortable both times.  During one event in a small room, there were kids at the next table.  The adult (or adults) moved their game elsewhere. 

So, if you are the GM, my advice would be to take things to the next category if you have any doubts.

Normal
Small
Posted by cinnibar

For your amusement that there are mistakes like this made:

I once watched a woman escort her three younglings out of the movie theater only partway into 'Team America: World Police'.  Can't imagine why.  It's just a marionette movie.... Catchy theme song...

But that does bring up also the concern that parents will have to accept, that time they need to spend with their children if they are in the room may be time the rest of the group sits waiting as the clock ticks.  Please judge as best you can, especially with such a high-stimulation environment as Gen Con is.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
2
2