Does my friends need a ticket to watch me do an event?
Normal
Small
Posted by jgotty777

Let me start off by mentioning that im new to gencon and this is my first year. I was looking at some of the events that I can still do since I got my ticket pretty late. My girlfriend is going with me on this trip but she's not as big a "board gamer" as I. 

Would it be possible for her to watch me do some events? Like if I was signed up for the scale mail dice bag event and she didn't want to make one, would she be allowed to watch and help me make mine without a ticket? (She wouldn't ever have a need for a dice bag) 

And if I were to do an event where I was learning a new game could she stand behind me and watch?

Thanks for any help on this and I wasn't sure if this was the correct form to post this in. 

Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by stahlnee

It may depend on the person running the event and also with how much space is available.

The person running the event should be asked. You can email them ahead of time to see if it is ok.

The space may provide room or it may be packed in like sardines.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

She can't follow you through True Dungeon or some other events, but I would think she'd be fine as a bystander in most cases. (But she'll need a badge.)

Has she looked at the SPA category of events?

Normal
Small
Posted by ascantla

We had a board game event for a game we were looking to buy, we only got 1 ticket for the both of us. We asked the person running it and they said it was fine them to sit with me at the table. I played and they sat and participate through my character. We had a good time.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

Agreed on he'd need a badge, AND always check with the one running the event, to see if they allow bystanders..

Normal
Small
Posted by skilletaudio

They'd have to politely ask the event runner if that would be OK. If theres a spare chair they may not have a problem with that.

Some things happen in wide open spaces that people can just hover around and enjoy (Hungry Hungry Hippos tourney) but things in rooms with limited seating, it really depends and it comes down to the conditions of the individual and the event runner.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

It also matters if say its an RPG, and the person 'watching' is slated to play it later.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

Be sure to grab some generic tickets! She may be able to join in on your events if there's a no show. They come in $2 increments and you'd need enough to cover the cost of the event.

Edit: Any generic tickets you don't use can be returned at customer service before the end of the Con for system credit.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.