D&D AL Events SOLD OUT?
Normal
Small
Posted by sheepstickgames

I feel like I'm going crazy, looking at the "Find Events" page and searching "Baldman Games" brings up a wall of big red SOLD OUT notices. Is that normal? The event's still almost 3 months away and when I was there 2 years ago there was still plenty of space for walk-ins.

So really my question is, is there something I'm missing when it comes to purchasing event tickets, or is that it? There's no possibility of getting into one of these events, much less playing through an entire trilogy with a group of 4 unless you sign up less than a week after the schedule goes up 3 months in advance?

How likely is it there could possibly be enough no-shows to get us through one of these events with generic tickets?

Normal
Small
Posted by rong

The sell out is normal. Show up with generics though, and you stand a good chance of getting to play. That has been the case the last few years at least.

Normal
Small

Do they normally round small groups or single players together so there are more empty tables? Or are we likely to get split apart and have to play with randoms?

Normal
Small
Posted by rong

BMG runs it similar to an amusement park ride. Lines for each event. They'll ask how many in your group and combine to get tables of 6. They do their best to accomodate keeping friends together.

Normal
Small

Alright, so to find a space with generic tickets it's first-come-first-serve? Is there anything else I should know about that might improve our chances? Any particular time of day that's more likely to be available?

Normal
Small
Posted by rong

I think the late slot games were the last to sell out, so those might be the easiest to get in to. I did generics for a few late games of D&D last year and got in easily. In general, I'd try get there 30minutes before the game you want to play and I think you'll have a good chance to play.

Also, keep checking back as tickets may be returned as plans change. Also, they added a bunch of tickets the week of Gen Con last year when they had extra DMs, so that is also a possibility.

Normal
Small
Posted by llenlleawg

They are not all sold out, even if many of them are. As of right now (3:15 am Eastern Daylight Time — don't judge, I'm in Europe, so it's already well into the morning!), there are plenty of slots open for the 2-hour "Introduction to Adventure: Moonshae Preview" every day of the con at noon and various slots in the evening/night (from 5 pm onwards), and several slots for their MOON (4-hour) adventures, both the 1st-4th level series (the MOON 2-X) and the 5th-10th (MOON 3-X), always at night (9 pm), except on Sunday, when there are slots for the morning and for noon.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

I have always shown up with generics and have always (seriously, every time) been able to get in to all the AL sold-out games.

Normal
Small
Posted by stormforge

And even if events sell out "on paper", a lot of us over commit to events and miss some anyways, or spontaneity takes over and we do something else, it happens to me every year. Generics are great for that because , inevitably, like with D&D AL, the larger events always seem to find room for some generics.

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

I think everybody here has covered this pretty well (thanks gang). We sit a lot of players with generics every year. Usually over a thousand players in fact. This comes from us only selling 6 tickets to a table and we can sit 7 (except in the DDXP program which is guaranteed 6 player tables), we pencil in extra DMs, and some people just don't show up. So if you show up early your odds of getting sat for most games is pretty good.

The reason we don't add extra tickets to the system for those extra DM's is we always have some DM's who just flat out don't show up (they only get to screw me that way once - they are gone shortly after that). So we like to keep a buffer of prepared DM's that we can shift around as needed to cover those empty spaces. Once the show starts and we know who is, and is not, there we have lots of capacity to sit generics and keep people rolling dice and having fun. We may seem a little chaotic to some who are not used to us but at the end of the day we'll run over 8,000 people through a game of D&D at Gen Con which is not to shabby.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.