Sunday Afternoon Blues -- How do you handle it?
Normal
Small
Posted by bwd72

Hey all --

Sunday afternoon is definitely the low point of the con (GenCon is 110% awesome, so "low point" is relative) with the vendor hall closing up and attendees filtering out of the convention center.  

How do *you* fight the deflating sensation at the end of GenCon?  Are there unofficial events going on?  Do you just gather at the Ram or in your hotel lobby to try out the games you bought?  Do you just stare forlornly at the wall until it is time to go to the airport?  

I'm not leaving until Monday morning.  I'm determined to pack in as much gaming fun as possible!!  What are your top suggestions?

-Brian

Normal
Small
Posted by skilletaudio

Share stories with your friends. The experience cant last, it can only become a memory, so become an active participant in the memories.

Normal
Small
Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn?

Plan something for that evening ahead of time, so that even though the con is winding down, and the vendors are packing up, you still have a thing to look forward to.

In previous years (for me) it's been dinner with friends or playing a game in a hotel lobby somewhere.

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

Get together with friends. have a relaxing dinner, go through the haul. Try to pack and decide what to ship out via USPS on Monday morning.

Me? I'm thinking about going to the State Fair on Monday, since I don't fly out until 6pm.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

I'm usually home by late Saturday night so all of Sunday is usually going through the haul and gaming with my husband. If any of our group is free they'll come over to see the new goodies and play something new. (And I'll start looking online to see if any hotels have started taking reservations for next year.)

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

I have a game that goes until 4 pm. Then at 4:30, my family and I will go to a big sit-down dinner and re-live our best GenCon memories for the year. 

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle

We gamed Sunday evening last year with the Rear Guard gaming group at a meeting room in the JW. SUCH a great time. It was a mixed bag of games, but wonderful people and the perfect way to wind the Con down.

Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity roundtop

roundtop wrote:
Get together with friends. have a relaxing dinner, go through the haul. Try to pack and decide what to ship out via USPS on Monday morning.
Me? I'm thinking about going to the State Fair on Monday, since I don't fly out until 6pm.

I have to commend you for literally "thinking outside of the box". I was hoping to check out the children's museum or Dave and Buster's. I didn't even think about the State Fair...

Normal
Small
Posted by stormforge

It takes me about a week to get over the euphoria of the convention, I try to take in as much as I can every year, little sleep. Thankfully, I have football season to ease the pain. I also always keep the program from that previous year, then as the next year's event registration gets close, event before the listing is out, I review that section in the program, circle the hearty perennials I do every year and look at what I would have like to have tried and circle them too. If you go out in a group, talking about the con on the way home helps ween me off of all con all day.

Normal
Small
Posted by bluemax

My groups championship event for the con is on Sunday afternoon, so I am certainly busy, and then packing the SUV for the trip back to Wisconsin

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
roundtop wrote:

I have to commend you for literally "thinking outside of the box". I was hoping to check out the children's museum or Dave and Buster's. I didn't even think about the State Fair...

https://www.indianastatefair.com/state-fair/

It opens GenCon weekend. 

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

We usually go out to a nice dinner and go over everything that happened.  

This year, if there is room in the hotel lobby, we are thinking of getting a pizza and playing games instead of an expensive meal (something I wished we would have done last year - instead of paying too much for dinner at Palomino's).

Normal
Small
Posted by bwd72 divachelle

divachelle wrote:
We gamed Sunday evening last year with the Rear Guard gaming group at a meeting room in the JW. SUCH a great time. It was a mixed bag of games, but wonderful people and the perfect way to wind the Con down.

That sounds perfect!  I wonder if they are going to do something similar?  Did you just stumble onto this, or did you have it planned?  How did you find out about them?

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

I head home before noon, so Sunday afternoon is getting home, seeing my family, relaxing.

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage

I missed out on the rear guard event last year. I usually stay till Mon myself. Sun afternoon/evening is time to get a meal where i'm not rushed to make it to the next event or my next volunteer shift. Just time to reflect and decompress, any extra gaming considered a bonus. 

Always interested in meeting other gamers in a non rushed setting.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

Alcohol, and this year you can buy it on Sunday! 

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles irontk

irontk wrote:

Oh my goodness - how very lax of them! A few years ago I went into a liquor store with my kid to get a bottle of wine for our hotel.  Well, I almost got a ticket and "reported to the police."  I had no idea that was a law in Indianapolis.  I literally thought they were joking (in NJ there is no such law or prohibition).   Also, make sure you have ID.  They will card you even if you are 80 years old (and they won't be nice about it).

Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity steffles

steffles wrote:
irontk wrote:
Oh my goodness - how very lax of them! A few years ago I went into a liquor store with my kid to get a bottle of wine for our hotel.  Well, I almost got a ticket and "reported to the police."  I had no idea that was a law in Indianapolis.  I literally thought they were joking (in NJ there is no such law or prohibition).   Also, make sure you have ID.  They will card you even if you are 80 years old (and they won't be nice about it).
Gen Con 2013: I went to Buca de Beppo (Italian food) on Friday night. Alone, I get to sit at the bar for quick service. A small contingent of World War 2 vets were having a gathering nearby. The bartender carded them even though she knew they were vets. She told me it was the law... They aren't nice about it because it's a waste of their time and they know it...

Normal
Small
Posted by gswest

Wonder if we should start a thread for planned but non-GenCon affiliated games happening Sunday night?

Normal
Small
Posted by llenlleawg

If you want to keep gaming, you could check out some of the local gaming spots in Indianapolis. For a huge board game library, you could go to Game Paradise. A gaming store that is quite near the ICC and has ordinary gaming events, including on Sunday, is Good Games.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post