Escape Room
Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

Last year our family did an escape room for the first time on Wednesday of Gencon.  It was fantastic.  As we were leaving our game master told us it is customary to tip him, which my husband did. 

Then we did another escape room back in our hometown in northern NJ.  When my husband went to tip, the game master looked completely shocked and surprised - was obviously happy but didn't expect it at all.  So, is it customary?  

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21

I've done a few escape rooms here in Michigan and have never tipped or been expected to.  I have not done an escape room as of yet in Indy, so perhaps that is the norm?  Seems kind of a strange thing to tip for in my opinion.

Normal
Small
Posted by rutherfordr

According to the event host policy, asking for tips is prohibited:

No monetary transactions of any kind are allowed outside of your Exhibit Hall booth without prior approval
by Gen Con. Violation of this rule may result in the cancellation of your event, removal from the convention,
barring from future shows and may impact relations with other Gen Con departments as well.

Some events and companies are given approval to make monetary transactions. All approved sales points
must prominently display a valid Gen Con sales permit. If you witness any transactions and are unsure if
they have been given official approval, please inform the nearest Event HQ immediately so we can look into
the situation.

Anyone engaging in monetary transactions (tips, sales, etc.) outside their booth in the Exhibit Hall must display
a certificate of official Gen Con approval.

GenCon Events

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles rutherfordr

rutherfordr wrote:
According to the event host policy, asking for tips is prohibited:
No monetary transactions of any kind are allowed outside of your Exhibit Hall booth without prior approval
by Gen Con. Violation of this rule may result in the cancellation of your event, removal from the convention,
barring from future shows and may impact relations with other Gen Con departments as well.Some events and companies are given approval to make monetary transactions. All approved sales points
must prominently display a valid Gen Con sales permit. If you witness any transactions and are unsure if
they have been given official approval, please inform the nearest Event HQ immediately so we can look into
the situation.
Anyone engaging in monetary transactions (tips, sales, etc.) outside their booth in the Exhibit Hall must display
a certificate of official Gen Con approval.

GenCon Events
This was actually the day before Gencon.  So we bought the tickets directly from their website.  It is at the same place and the same Escape rooms are available, it was just not through Gencon.  But thanks for clarifying...I didn't know about that but makes sense.

Normal
Small
Posted by alukeman

I'm an escape room owner (we bring the portable games to Gen Con, so *not* the company OP is referring to).  At our regular/permanent location, our gamemasters occasionally receive tips, but it's very uncommon, and our GMs certainly don't ask for them.  (At Gen Con, obviously, we wouldn't be allowed to take them.)

I've seen different escape rooms across the country do this though.  I've played about 50 rooms, and maybe 10-20% suggest tips or have a tip jar.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.