Demoing a Game - Open Tables?
Normal
Small
Posted by dyslogy

Good afternoon! This will be my first GenCon and I am looking to demo my game that is launching on Kickstarter this summer. Because I do not have a booth, my plan was to demo the game in open gaming areas at the convention. However, I've been told by someone that this is not actually possible, and that the "open gaming" tables consist of ticketed events until 7 PM. My hope was to basically be demoing my game all day long, not waiting until night when many people are going to dinner / getting ready for Werewolf and such. I have not created an event/events for the game. Is it too late to do so? Also, is it actually corect that there is no true open gaming where I can set up on a table and invite people to play my game?

Thanks in advance.

Normal
Small
Posted by cinnibar

Submit an event or 10 now: New Event Submission

Read through the event submission guidelines beforehand.  If you are doing demos only, say so in the event.  Expect tickets of $2/2hrs as standard, no one will blink.

There are lots of tables around, but they are prioritized for the events.  Any open table will eventually have an event on it.  It is recommended to ask the nearest HQ what table they have available for a number of hours.  

You can set up outside the convention center, of course.  But for exposure, try the event listing.  You will have to collect and turn in tickets, but you can get a guaranteed place to set up and play, unlike those other people begging the HQ for open tables. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by dyslogy cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:
Submit an event or 10 now: New Event Submission
Read through the event submission guidelines beforehand.  If you are doing demos only, say so in the event.  Expect tickets of $2/2hrs as standard, no one will blink.
There are lots of tables around, but they are prioritized for the events.  Any open table will eventually have an event on it.  It is recommended to ask the nearest HQ what table they have available for a number of hours.  
You can set up outside the convention center, of course.  But for exposure, try the event listing.  You will have to collect and turn in tickets, but you can get a guaranteed place to set up and play, unlike those other people begging the HQ for open tables. :)

Thank you for the fast reply! I've submitted several events and hopefully some are approved. I understand the approval process is slow going at this point with both being late and Origins is this week. I guess it's fingers crossed until then!

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

Just to clarify your original post - I'm not sure where that 7 pm time came from who you spoke with, as Gen Con's space is ticketed all weekend, without exception.

We do accommodate walk-up games and always find space for folks to play when they've got a group of friends (or new friends) and want to game, but especially if you are demoing and promoting something you need to actually schedule the event properly - do not attempt to set up guerilla-style at the show.

Explicit demos are not allowed without paying for event space (which it's usually too late for at this point), but as cinnibar mentioned, you're more than welcome to submit full games as normal ticketed events. You can promote those and expose people to the game - they just need to be able to play it, not just get a brief taste (i.e. a demo). As long as you collect tickets, there is no charge to you.

Do not set up to demo your game anywhere at the show without talking with us first to get explicit permission, regardless of the time of day. If you anyone wants to play a pick-up game, they should check in with the nearest event HQ.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by dyslogy derekguder

derekguder wrote:
Just to clarify your original post - I'm not sure where that 7 pm time came from who you spoke with, as Gen Con's space is ticketed all weekend, without exception.
We do accommodate walk-up games and always find space for folks to play when they've got a group of friends (or new friends) and want to game, but especially if you are demoing and promoting something you need to actually schedule the event properly - do not attempt to set up guerilla-style at the show.
Explicit demos are not allowed without paying for event space (which it's usually too late for at this point), but as cinnibar mentioned, you're more than welcome to submit full games as normal ticketed events. You can promote those and expose people to the game - they just need to be able to play it, not just get a brief taste (i.e. a demo). As long as you collect tickets, there is no charge to you.
Do not set up to demo your game anywhere at the show without talking with us first to get explicit permission, regardless of the time of day. If you anyone wants to play a pick-up game, they should check in with the nearest event HQ.
-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC
Derek,

Thank you for replying and correcting the false information I was given before. Per the guidelines I've seen, I created events and clearly labeled them as "Playtests" so attendees know that the game is not a published product. But they will still be playing a full session, of course. In the meantime, I will keep an eye on my events in the submission queue for their approval or correction as needed!

New Post Sign in to write a new post.