Gen Con Math Trade (Friday 8am.)
Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity

Well folks,

We've finally got the math trade warming up for the convention.

Don't let the word "math" scare you away; it refers to the computer algorithm that calculates out the trades.

In a math trade, you post games or other items you want to trade off. Once everyone has added their items, you post what items you would like to trade your items for.  Each possible trade is approved individually. For example, if you had a $5 card game and a $120 collectible board game you wouldn't want to trade both for another $5 card game. You can say "yes" to one and "no" to the other.

After everyone has posted their "wants" the computer calculates all trades and tries to create the most trades possible. Instead of a one item for one item trade, it will probably generate trade circles where everyone passes an item onto the next person. Last year I was in a 34 person trade circle.

Now, you don't have to know everyone in the trade circle. The program will tell you to give your item to one person and that someone will be giving you another item.

The more items people post, the larger the trading pool.

More information can be found at:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/29330756#29330756

Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot

I wish I had known about this before shipping of tickets closed - hadn't seen it active on the BGG forums. Will throw my hat in and see what we can do; we have a few games that have been collecting dust that I'd like to help find new homes. Thank you!

Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity

You don't "need" a ticket to attend the event but it's the easiest way to show GenCon how many folks gather for this event. They have other things to do than run around to see who has how many attendees so they can just look at the ticket sales after the con.

Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot

Oh, okay! That makes a lot of sense! I've never done this sort of thing before, but judging by how things are set up, I'm assuming you put your games into the "pot" and then the system assumes a "value" and works out the trades so that everyone ends up with roughly the same value they put in? Am I understanding that right?

Husband and I have a few board games that have never (and quite frankly probably will never) make it to the table, so if that's how this works, I am definitely interested!

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronr

You list your items and then mark items that others have listed that you would like to receive. That populates a grid with all of your items on one axis and all items that you've marked that you want on the other. You go through that grid and put a check-mark on any trade you would be OK with making as a one to one trade. When the trade ends an algorithm takes everyone's grids and generates trade loops.

For instance if you have Ticket to Ride and mark that you are willing to trade it for a copy of Catan you might end up giving Ticket to Ride to person A who will pass something else of theirs off to person B and so on until the loop closes with person X giving you Catan. Everyone involved made a 1 for 1 trade that they had marked that they wanted to do but they likely did not give and receive from the same person.

I hope that made sense. If not feel free to ask questions. Math Trades are awesome!

Edit: Here is a link to the trade so that you can look through what people have already put up for trade.

Normal
Small
Posted by bien

The GenCon 2018 math trade is running until July 19th. It's the largest game exchange/swap in the US. The exchange is Friday 8/3 8am @ Union Station: Grand Hall

Feel free to contact me on BGG (Bien) or email me at info@abecorn.com with questions.

Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity saberpilot

saberpilot wrote:
Oh, okay! That makes a lot of sense! I've never done this sort of thing before, but judging by how things are set up, I'm assuming you put your games into the "pot" and then the system assumes a "value" and works out the trades so that everyone ends up with roughly the same value they put in? Am I understanding that right?
Husband and I have a few board games that have never (and quite frankly probably will never) make it to the table, so if that's how this works, I am definitely interested!
The funny thing about "value" is that it is assigned only by your wants and perceptions. A game might sell for $40 but we might have gotten it online ($35), received it as a christmas present (looking at you, sis...) or just had someone give it to us just to clean out their house (or all three!).
Some crazy people will gladly trade away such a game for something else that we don't have...

Normal
Small
Posted by cinnibar

Should be no problem getting tickets since over 200 are available.  For $0 even.

Do please grab one prior to attending the actual trade at the convention, and drop it in whatever hat is provided.  The more that are turned in, the more proof to the Gen Con powers-that-be that they should continue to give space for this type of thing every year.  It is much preferred to be indoors in case of rain, which does happen.  And they have taken issue with us before taking over a hallway corridor as a hazard, though they apparently managed to smooth things out then with the ICC. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by cinnibar

The mechanics of the trade aside, the basics are:

1) Add your games to the trade.  You don't need a picture, but should indicate what condition the game is in in the description.  Minimum dollar amount and picture are both optional and we are not allowed to complete any money-trade at Gen Con (that's for vendors who get permission for that).

2) Go through the long list of items that are not yours in the trade.  Click '+' of any games you would like.

3) Now on the 'Make Trades' page: you'll see a grid, your games along the columns on top, the games you want on the rows below.  There will be a checkbox at each intersection.  Click the checkbox of YourGameA and DesiredGameB if you would trade for that.  There may be shortcuts but I leave that for the advanced class.

Come the 17th of July, you will discover the results (may your die rolls be lucky), and we can discuss then how the actual giving and receiving of games works during this event.

Note: there is usually some communication back-and-forth by traders who desire some items that didn't trade during the results.  Also, the Gen Con Auction and Store may still be accepting item registration if you still want to part with a game that wasn't successfully traded.

Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity

Also, even if your items don't trade, you can always add them to (or spend lots of money at) the virtual flea market:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/241960/gencon-virtual-flea-market-2018

New Post Sign in to write a new post.