My friend and I did a guide for True Dungeon Tokens (accompanying our guide series on GenCon itself)
Normal
Small
Posted by daxhammond

Hey gang, HSG is back with another guide. This time it's not about GenCon specifically but about our favorite game to play there, True Dungeon. This episode is about the tokens, how you get them, what to do with them, how to improve them. True Dungeon is a very expensive hobby, so having a good plan can really save you a lot in the long run.

You can find it on our host, iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, and other's I'm sure.

Some of the areas we discuss:

* What to do for new players

* How to buy, trade, sell tokens

* How to improve tokens, and resources that can help guide you

* How to transport and secure your token collection

We also have a past episode about True Dungeon, more for beginners. It's here

---

Past GenCon guide episodes
Part 1 - Housing
Part 2 - Running your own event
Part 3 - Event Registration
Part 4 - New Attendee Q&A
Part 5 - Food and Drinks

Normal
Small
Posted by felwred

I would recommend also checking out the True Dungeon forums. There are resources for generalists as well as class-specific.

Going beyond the podcast information, there were a couple areas where additional clarification is needed:
First: It is important to distinguish the types of runs
*"Standard runs" - these are the season specific ones and will be detailed in the description that it is part of a longer story arc. These are the typical runs average fans do. There used to be puzzle or combat focused runs but that has changed starting this year where different destinations can happen based on your choices and preferences. N1-N3 are the standard runs this year. These combine puzzle solving with ability to handle combat, etc.
*True Grind - This year, it is called Pandemonium and Back. Grind runs are designed for experienced players with substantial investments made in their character builds. Do not start with one of these - they are focused on combat and really testing the mettle of serious players. They are fun but not the best to start with - they are a combination of combat and tactics.
*"Sealed Pack" or "Sealed Ticket" runs - These are runs where you get the standard 10 pack of random tokens for each player and, as a group, you come up with a party. You can't bring anything there to use so it is all about making due with what appears. These are a combination of puzzle and combat rooms. This year's Viper's Pit is an example of this (it is a redesigned version of a 2014 run).

Second: Difficulty levels
Difficulty levels are decided by the group - the easiest level voted is what the group does. Don't make the runs too easy if you can avoid it - especially if experienced players are there to help you.
*non-lethal and normal - These levels are designed for beginners or really passive players. If you didn't bring any tokens and use what they hand you - you should be able to beat a run on normal most of the time. Non-lethal is generally used for younger audiences or those feeling really afraid of taking this on. As a general rule, if you have even 2-3 people who have ever done it before - don't make them do non-lethal.
*Hardcore - Technically, you can beat hardcore with 10 packs but it will be really hard and you'll likely not win. 2 players with ultra-race (purple) in half their slots can beat a hardcore run by themselves. Only take this on if you have experienced support. As an aside, you almost never see anything less than hardcore being run on Grinds.
*Nightmare - Designed for experienced players. You'll need a party with quite a few UR items and experience in order to have a good shot. 2-3 people running all UR and a good deal of legendary tokens can beat a nightmare run on their own but won't win every time.
*Epic - Designed for those who want to take a beating. Don't request this unless you are extremely experienced and routinely beat nightmare levels.

A good comment from the podcast was about being able to run on normal without additional tokens. If you get hooked, gradually build up your collection - focusing on the classes you enjoy the most. Before you put down $100+ for Ultra-rare tokens, get to where you have a good set of rare and uncommon items for your specialty class - typically possible for $40-$50. One thing to note is you want treasure enhancers as soon as possible - even if it only adds 1 more treasure. The tokens you pull in treasure boxes at the end of adventures are significantly better than the random 10 packs. If you pull a purple print token (ultra-rare), reserve gold bars, wish rings, green backed tokens (legendary or premium tokens) - you can either build around one of those initially or go to the True Dungeon forums and you can find good trades to build up leveraging the initial token as a starting point (don't just take the first offer - even post what you were offered in your thread (without names) to make sure you are getting a good deal). The token stores like Trent's tokens or TD Tavern are a good place to get baseline prices those tokens are worth. Valuable tokens can range from $100-$125 for this year's ultra-rares to over $1,000 for legendary items.

Last note: Combat efficiency
Combat efficiency is important. You have limited time to defeat creatures - the more slides you do, the more damage you do. Decide order for sliding (which players go first) then slide and quickly move to the side to let your friends take their shots. If you don't know the symbols, etc for spells - just tell the DM that you fail the test quickly - it only means a small reduction in damage. Between all of that, you can increase your combat capability by 20%-30% - sometimes making the difference between winning or losing overall.

Hopefully this helps!

Fred

Normal
Small
Posted by handsomransom

What if you do start with a *True Grind? Cuz... you were a little late signing up, and its all that is left.... ? .. and you have never done one before?

Normal
Small
Posted by daxhammond handsomransom

handsomransom wrote:
What if you do start with a *True Grind? Cuz... you were a little late signing up, and its all that is left.... ? .. and you have never done one before?

I would highly recommend trying to get into the new player event. it is 'sealed' which means players can only use the pack of tokens provided. Here's a link where they discribe the events: https://truedungeon.com/gencon

If there's none available make an account for their forums and see if you can find or trade for a ticket. People swap all the time!

Aalso you could just drop the ticket you purchased, grab a bunch of generics and head to TD to get the first available slot. People fail to show up all the time, you can slot into a sealed event if your schedule has some flexibility. 

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce

Grind is a very different experience, but depending on what you enjoy about games there's a good chance you'll still have fun. 

There will be not really be any puzzles and basically no ambience.  TD puts a lot of work into making the normal dungeon runs feel like a dungeon/ice cave/magma beast lair and has said they're stepping that up considerably more this year.  I think the ambience in particular is what a lot of people find so amazing about TD so doing grind as your first event could be a bit of a let down if your expectation is 'I'll feel like I'm in literally in a D&D adventure'. 

I'd sum it up as:
In the regular adventures it's not uncommon to run into a 10-15 foot animatronic monster or a normal sized monster that has an actor in an impressive costume.
In grind you'll almost certainly only see shuffleboard tables with monster outlines and maybe a handwritten flip chart with a 'room' name or something like that to provide context.

In my experience, grind will have only very experienced DMs though, and those DMs will be running in a mode where the players are expecting a significant challenge and are expected to be amused even if they die as long as the death is well fought and described.  The DMs in normal runs are generally trying to make the experience consistent for all players.  The DMs in Grind I feel are generally given a lot more freedom to customize the experience with the players and can let you do weird stuff (like distract a cult member monster with a rubber ducky token or do some role-playing based taunting of monsters rather than just using the taunt feature of the class that has it).

What could go wrong is if you get a grind time slot with mostly experienced people with a lot of gear and just one or 2 ungeared people.  Most likely they'll try to gear you up, but if that doesn't work out the run could be either too hard for you (monster ACs too high to do much, not able to survive many monster attacks on you) or too easy for the group (the highly geared people can chop through the monsters rapidly).  Again, with the quality of the DMs in these events there's a chance they can work around it and make a great experience for everybody, but it could be hard.

Normal
Small
Posted by snakeeyes0217

Fun podcast! After listening, I'm even more excited to play TD at Gen Con this  year.

Normal
Small
Posted by microwench

Experienced people, ignore this. You probably know better. New folks, learn form my goofy mistake.
No matter how cool the lava (or other logically dangerous but really cool terrain) looks, don't touch it. Even if you are 'done' with the room and waiting for the group ahead of you to finish so you can move ahead. 
The room GM, while amused, will make you take damage, while laughing at you.

My friends are still making fun of me for this. All in fun, but yeah. No matter how cool it looks, don't touch it. Yes, the terrain is freaking amazing, but as my granmother used to say, "Look-see, don't touchie-feel."

Normal
Small
Posted by daxhammond

lol yeah the trappings of 'interactive terrain' 

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce

"Look-see, don't touchie-feel."

Touchie-feel is actually one of the points of TD.  There are rooms where something you might think is just decoration can be used as an alternative solution to the room if used creatively.  Globs of lava just happen to not be one of those things...

With the N series dungeons this year there's supposed to be more terrain in the waiting area between rooms where generally one wouldn't expect to have a DM so probably feel away (in a non-breaking sort of way) to feed your curiosity. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.