Asking for a Friend (New Attendee)
Normal
Small
Posted by fjbradford

Hey guys.  I'm hoping some of you can help me out.

Yesterday, a co-worker came to me and said he and his teenage daughter had 4-day tickets to GenCon and asked if I could steer them through the experience.  (We are local to Indy.)  I've been coming to the con for 15 years, so I can guide them through badges, exhibit hall, event tickets/generics, parking, etc.  

However, I tend to demo a couple of games each year and spend the rest of the time playing games I've always played with friends I've known for years (and new players at times as well, of course).  So, I don't know if there are ribbons they can get that would allow them to play / sample games etc.  His daughter plays a pathfinder card game (which I am unfamiliar with), but I think they are open to playing some other kinds of games as well.  I seem to remember seeing / hearing about a cosplay parade as well but have no idea when / where that sort of thing is.

Any thoughts or ideas that could help make this a great con for them?

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle

The single best resource for newbies, in my opinion, is the Rio Grande area. It's a free event all Con long, and they even bust out some snacks and beverages occasionally, also gratis.

Another great area for trying games is the Gaming Library.

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

All demos in the dealers hall are free. So they can try out a bunch of games. It won't be full games (maybe 20 minutes at most), but it is worthwhile.

The Rio Grande area is a good one for general games, as is the gaming library (however the GL is not free).

Also, If you have a game and you want to play it, but just need a table, talk to the HQ booth in the convention hall area and if they have one free, they will assign it to you temporarily.

Normal
Small
Posted by jedikitty

The cosplay parade is usually on Saturday, and there will be more information about it (start time and route) announced closer to the convention itself. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by stormforge

Paizo used to demo the Adventure Card Game, which I think is the game she likes, in the Dealer Room next to their booth. She could also generic in to the events in the Sagamore Ballroom, there is inevitably always an opening for more players. I do 2-3 of those events each year.

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

All demos in the dealers hall are free. So they can try out a bunch of games. It won't be full games (maybe 20 minutes at most), but it is worthwhile.

Actually, several of the booths do run full games. even some of the smaller ones shoehorn in people for a session.  I spent several hours at the Flying Frog booth last year playing their games, and there were others that had sign-up sheets for 1 or 2 hour gaming sessions.  One time when I just sat down to take a short break, got pulled into an hour-long game with 6 people. :-)

If there are games they are interested in, check the company's website to see if they have a schedule of demos/games at their booth.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

If his daughter likes the Pathfinder card game, I second the poster above who says she can just show up at the Sagamore ballroom with generics and play. My wife and I have done that for the past few years and it's easy to find a game. They start on even-numbered hours and players can either bring their own class deck (as a player she'll likely know what that means) or use a premade deck they have as loaners. The ballroom is located on the second floor directly above the registration and will call kiosks.

Normal
Small
Posted by fjbradford

Thanks guys.  I have passed on the info.  :)

New Post Sign in to write a new post.