Transferring Electronic Tickets
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by felwred

We're running into a problem now associated with electronic tickets. The deadline to drop tickets for returns was a week ago. That was the only manual work-around prior to the show for moving electronic tickets to friends, etc (especially important for True Dungeon - see that thread as to why).

The convention is now a few days from one month away and there hasn't been any updates about e-ticketing. Quite a few of us would like to transfer e-tickets to our friends so they aren't locked out of events like True Dungeon (they otherwise will be if we run late (especially for back to back TD runs)). Please advise as to when we will see this feature go live?

On a related note, if this feature doesn't go live on time (it really needed to be live prior to the deadline to drop events and get refunds), will we be able to drop electronic tickets in person at the show to have friends pick them up then?

Fred

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

This is now the 3rd thread open on this topic, no response on any of them...

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:This is now the 3rd thread open on this topic, no response on any of them...

No, it's more like the 4th or 5th, and Gen Con did respond. To recap, transferring electronic tickets will be available prior to the convention, and they will announce when it's ready.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small

That response was weeks ago; there are 3 new open threads within the past 2 days.  A progress report would be nice.  A lot of people are depending on this feature; it was a mistake for them to use TD as a test bed for Electronic Tickets without having this feature available from day 1.

Normal
Small
Posted by felwred

Actually, in one of the posts they stressed that they are not committing to e-tickets being able to be transferred for GenCon. They went into, "at some future date..."

I feel terrible for Jeff and the TD team. We all see the train wreck coming. Just not being able to transfer tickets will result in dozens of events running late every day (meaning, do not sign up for any of the last runs for a day - it is entirely possible they won't happen as everyone runs later and later). Alternately, it means new players will get a worse experience with runs being only partially filled or not getting the promised prep time. Why TD was picked for this is a mystery as it has the most unique and complex environment of all GenCon events.

Fred

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke felwred

felwred wrote:Actually, in one of the posts they stressed that they are not committing to e-tickets being able to be transferred for GenCon. They went into, "at some future date..."

Link please.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________

Normal
Small
Posted by felwred austicke

austicke wrote:
felwred wrote:Actually, in one of the posts they stressed that they are not committing to e-tickets being able to be transferred for GenCon. They went into, "at some future date..."

Link please._____________________________________
https://www.gencon.com/forums/32-events-2018/topics/13627-true-dungeon-or-other-etickets-will-not-show-up-on-your-my-packets-page

The key wording there is "I have no timeline for when that may be implemented." (Referring to the transfer capability)

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Felwred, as I suspected, you're referring to an old comment. I posted a link to the latest word above. You can rest easy.

Normal
Small

Rest easy? With 4 weeks to go? Not a chance.  Since the post you linked to, over a month old, there has been no indication of any progress on this transfer feature. I develop software, and you never roll out a system with such a tight window, especially one that’s going to get slammed the moment it goes online.

It’s inexcusable that they would switch the most complex event to electronic tickets without a clear understanding of how people actually book TD. Then, not having the transfer feature available at least before the return deadline just adds insult to injury.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:Rest easy? With 4 weeks to go? Not a chance.

Suit yourself.
Then, not having the transfer feature available at least before the return deadline just adds insult to injury.

The event ticket return deadline is a half hour before the event starts.

Normal
Small

Standing in line to return tickets is a waste of people’s time caused by their failure.

Are you you such an uber-fan that you will make excuses for any screw-up that they do? Rah-rah all you want, this entire electronic ticket plan was a complete cluster-fark on their side. Their reps (and you) even admitted they didn’t know how people booked TD.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Fair enough. I admit to being a fan of Gen Con.

Normal
Small

So am I, or I wouldn’t be spending thousands to attend.  But I can see past that and call them out for their mistakes, especially when it’s going to waste my time, and might cause me to miss an event.  If I was a TD regular, I’d be livid.

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:
So am I, or I wouldn’t be spending thousands to attend.  But I can see past that and call them out for their mistakes, especially when it’s going to waste my time, and might cause me to miss an event.  If I was a TD regular, I’d be livid.

Less livid and more resigned and having more faith in Jeff Martin than in Gen Con right now to judge by the TD forums. I believe a workaround will be found somehow but so far Gen Con has done little to actually justify any faith. I really enjoy this con which is which is why i didn't outright cancel badge and tickets when this was announced.

Other con's do electronic tickets and do it well, Game Hole Con is fantastic as it's digital but you can if you want to (you the attendee) print out paper tickets ahead of time as a backup. I mentioned this to customer service and got the bark of 'do you really think we won't have a solution for you folks?' 2 months later i'm honestly not sure they do. This is not comforting to those of us who buy out runs (consider a run is now $780!). I'm a smallish buyer as in i buy 1-3 runs a year, that's not small money or something i want to have issues with.

Normal
Small

I'm curious as to why TD agreed to be the guinea pig for ET, at least without having addressed all the concerns before hand.

Normal
Small
Posted by felwred

austicke, I believe you may be mis-interpreting GenCon's responses so far. There is no thread where they have committed to having e-transfer available live prior to the con. They said they will try and they hope for it to be available. The most recent communication, several weeks ago, said very clearly, that they couldn't and would not commit to it being available. Without e-transfer being live, the stacking problem where one person bought a run for a group will occur. Historically, this means a quarter to a third of all runs have this occur. Even if only 1 in 20 of them ran late, it creates massive problems very quickly. Runs take place every (average) 5 minutes for 12+ hours per day Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It breaks down to over 125 runs per day. If 13 runs per day have a group start 5 minutes late, that means that the last 1.5 hours of runs each day are lost. With a 2 hour event, that means every ticket with a starting time after around 9pm (930?) could get bumped (where the event cannot be run due to Lucas Oil and convention rules even if unlimited extra volunteer time were available). 750+ people who bought tickets would never get to do their runs. That is $50K in lost revenue for True Adventures while GenCon may or may not give refunds for the events not taking place. I know TD would do their best to run the events but you can't have them running at 2am.

In talking with the TD folks, it sounds like they did not volunteer for this. In fact, they still have never seen the actual system that is to be used (I believe they get to watch a web demo of it this week). It sounds like they won't get to try anything to test it prior to actually arriving in Indy and there are no promises that can be done either.

To TD's credit, they have a number of asks for GenCon that are reasonable to help make this work. 1 - they need hardwired Internet access available at their event. With spotty reception, it isn't guaranteed an electronic system will work at all without premise based software local at the event (the understanding is this is not the case). 2 - they need to get solid answers for the TD use cases such as group purchases, ghosting, etc.. 3 - they would like to have alternatives available if the system doesn't work the way it has been described.

I would encourage GenCon to approve of all three requests as they are more than reasonable. Please don't ruin the True Dungeon experience for us. If, three weeks from the con, you still don't have one of the most important functions of the tool running to where you can promise it's availability - then your solution isn't well conceived. It is good business to make sure you are always presenting a great quality product. If what you present is viewed as top quality with a loyal audience then you can ask premiums for sponsorships, exhibits, etc beyond what you ask today. Everyone wins. There have been cases where the convention fell down in serious ways that lost the con major sponsors and definitely resulted in new ones choosing other pop culture venues as targets. This is a great opportunity to show that you won't let that happen again by either having this system bullet proof prior to the con or delaying until next year when it is.

My 2 cents worth.

Normal
Small

What I, and I’m sure many others find the most frustrating is the almost complete lack of any information from Gen Con. Ask the most mundane question in these forums, and a GC rep responds within hours, sometimes sooner.  

On this, an issue that is important to a large number of people, and is now becoming critical with 3 weeks to go, the silence is deafening. Since the posts more than a month ago, which were vague at best as to a timeline, there’s been nothing. No status, no call for beta testers, not even a contingency plan in case they don’t get things working.

For an organization that usually has excellent customer service and response, electronic tickets are a shaping up to be a “WTF were they thinking?” level fiasco.  The lack of any info just makes it worse.

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

I have no horse in this race, but I do work for a software developer, and have worked a lot of cons before.

So I wanted to say.... When it comes to software development, you don't say anything until it is done fully, especially on a public forum. 

Things can be harder than anticipated, or delayed for other factors. Until that system is fully ready and handed over, nothing is said.
​​​​​​
the staff on these forums are very careful to not claim things that people will jump all over  

Normal
Small

Not sure where you work, but I’ve been doing software development for 30+ years, and most projects announce release dates, and stick to them.  I understand they may not want to make any premature announcement that people will get all freaky about, but some news would be appreciated.

For me, at worst I miss an event so I can scan my friends in, but for others, who have hundreds and even thousands of dollars committed to TD runs, this is a serious issue.

Normal
Small
Posted by felwred

Roundtop, working in software, you also know to do beta releases before exposing it to the majority of your user base. 

Mike, etc - please chime in to reassure us etransfer has been solved and tested, TD will be provided with reliable connectivity, and the ghosting problem has been solved. Beuhler?

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3
1 3