Cancelling scheduled events
Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

So we can't cancel events and schedule different ones now?
I have a few I can no longer make in time and wanted to schedule around it but now it won't let me because times are conflicting. 

Normal
Small
Posted by san_fan_49

You can only return tickets on site now. That being said, I did pick up some free tickets to an event at 11 that is at the same time as another event without any issues (not sure which I am doing anymore so I figured I would grab the other tickets as well).

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

Seems like an odd system. I am likely preventing people who want to go to this event from getting these tickets that I no longer want. Meanwhile, I can't schedule different events I know I can go to because they run into the ones I know I can't go to.

Normal
Small
Posted by k_dog64

A big reason for it is that event tickets are already being printed and mailed out to people.  If you were able to cancel events that already had the tickets mailed to you, there would now be extra tickets out in the wild that could cause issues at events.  (To many people, which event tickets are vaild, etc)

You are right that you could be holding events others want to go to, but if/until everything moves to a fully electronic system, I'm not sure there is a better way to prevent issues like this outside of having a hard deadline where nothing can be returned online.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

I think allowing us to schedule conflicting timed events would be best.
Especially if you have an 11:00 to 12:00 event you know you can't make that's stopping you from a 10:00 to 11:30 or something you know you can make.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

This is annoying, for sure.  In years to come, however, my hope is that this issue goes away when everything is an electronic ticket.

Normal
Small
Posted by rong rayken

rayken wrote:
I think allowing us to schedule conflicting timed events would be best.
Especially if you have an 11:00 to 12:00 event you know you can't make that's stopping you from a 10:00 to 11:30 or something you know you can make.

I don't think that would work out well. So many events would get blocked out by people double or triple booked (or more), that it would be disastrous. I like to think most would be by accident, but some would be intentional as people who couldn't decide between events would sign up for multiple events to decide later.

We had weeks to figure out our event schedules, but there has to be a deadline on electronic cancellations in order to ship badges and tickets pre-show to avoid the excess tickets problem as mentioned above.

The solutions are to stop mailing out badges and tickets and making Will Call a nightmare scenario, or go to a fully electronic system (which is likely coming down the road). In the meantime, this system seems like a pretty good compromise. You can still return the tickets on site and open up those time slots. Hopefully your desired events will still be available.

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

Keep in mind that you can use printed tickets as generics on other events.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

I doubt I'll have time to return tickets on site, but I may be able to work it in. I'm mainly concerned with getting the events I want that are open but low on tickets now that will surely be sold out by Con time.

Normal
Small
Posted by rong bushmaster

bushmaster wrote:

This is a good point.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken rong

rong wrote:
bushmaster wrote:

This is a good point.
It is. But I've always been pretty interested in highly coveted/swarmed events that are usually long sold out. So I don't want to be that one guy that shows up to a full event with generics trying to get in.

Unless it's easier to use generics than I think. I don't know.

Normal
Small
Posted by rong

Using generics is hit and miss, really depending on the event and time. If it is a very popular event with a lot of tickets sold, there will be no shows, but the number of people waiting to get in with generics is usually higher too and it becomes first come first served. I also find early morning events have more no shows as the weekend rolls along. Personally, I don't ever plan to join an event using generics, but if I have a hole in my schedule and nothing better to fill it with, I'll take my generics and stroll over and see what happens. Worst case I don't get in and go play board games instead ;p  I've also met other folks with generics who couldn't get in to the same event I was there for, and we ended up making our own group and voila! But yeah, it can be unpredictable.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

If you have a friend with the desired time slot open you could have them purchase the ticket under their name. Names are not checked at events so you could use the ticket a friend bought. I have a ticket under my husband's account that conflicted with a 4 hour event on my account. I plan to go to the event purchased through his account while he's doing True Dungeon with a ticket his friend got under the friend's account....There are ways to manipulate the system :-)

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

On the Event DB Change List, many entries after June 17 show returned tickets.  These are not for cancelled events, but events that are still active.  

How are people returning tickets now?  Even people cancelling their entire packages can't get refunds except on-site.

Normal
Small
Posted by k_dog64 buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:
On the Event DB Change List, many entries after June 17 show returned tickets.  These are not for cancelled events, but events that are still active.  
How are people returning tickets now?  Even people cancelling their entire packages can't get refunds except on-site.
I could be wrong, but I think if the event increases the number of available slots for a particular event, then it shows up on that site as a "returned" ticket.  Not sure if that is the case with this or not.

Normal
Small

Doesn't seem like it, many of the events are showing things like 1/6, meaning there's the one returned ticket available.

Normal
Small
Posted by k_dog64

It could show that if the number of slots increased from 4 to 6 and someone bought a ticket for the event inbetween the scans.  Just 1 example.

Another possibility (that would involve a bit of coincidence), would be if the event ticket was in someones cart when one scan was made, they decided not to buy it, then it was returned to the system after the time expired (I think it is 2 hours?).

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer bushmaster

bushmaster wrote:

Where is this stated explicitly? I went through the show policy & FAQ pages and could not find this discussed anywhere.  Is there a time restriction, or can I use a printed ticket as a generic on any event?

ETA: When doing this, does it count the full face-value of the ticket?  So, if I have a $6 ticket, does it count as 3 generics?

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:
bushmaster wrote:Keep in mind that you can use printed tickets as generics on other events.

Where is this stated explicitly?

The Event Host Policy.
Is there a time restriction, or can I use a printed ticket as a generic on any event?

ETA: When doing this, does it count the full face-value of the ticket?  So, if I have a $6 ticket, does it count as 3 generics?

No time restriction. Yes, any event. Yes, full face value, but no change available.

Normal
Small

Ahh, there it is, buried on page 14.  So, I can blow off an event at last minute, and still get value for the ticket. Useful.

Thanks for the info.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post