Fantasy Flight games Question
Normal
Small
Posted by darkranger65

What games will FFG run at their are? New games or older games like anything from the Arkham Horror type games?

Normal
Small
Posted by impulse411 darkranger65

darkranger65 wrote:
What games will FFG run at their are? New games or older games like anything from the Arkham Horror type games?

Fantasy Flight Games has 76 events ran by them, according to the Event Finder:

https://www.gencon.com/event_finder?host=Fantasy+Flight+Games

Unless you mean in their booth / selling area where they might be demoing things...in that case, I have no idea. :)  Looking forward to GenCon though and finding out!

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

Last year FFG was running near-continuous demos & games in their booth. No reason to think they won’t do the same this year. IIRC there were waits for some of the more popular stuff.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

From what I've seen they usually demo their newer games at their booth as well as the most popular (and coincidentally most expensive) ones.

Normal
Small
Posted by cman811

It's an almost certainty they'll be demo'ing X-wing 2.0.  After that I'm sure some will be Legion, Star Wars Destiny, and most of the LCG's.  No idea on what board games they'll have going on though.  

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

That makes me wonder.  Will they keep doing/offering Tornaments for 1e, or shift them all to being under 2e/s auspices.  Much like TSR's living campaigns, all shifted to 3e (and then 3.5/4/5) when they came out..

Normal
Small

As ytuni pointed out, they tend to demo the latest and greatest, to entice you to upgrade to it.  Not much profit for them in demoing older versions.  

To play older versions, you'd most likely have to find or run your own game.

Normal
Small
Posted by cman811 garhkal

garhkal wrote:
That makes me wonder.  Will they keep doing/offering Tornaments for 1e, or shift them all to being under 2e/s auspices.  Much like TSR's living campaigns, all shifted to 3e (and then 3.5/4/5) when they came out..

I don't follow x-wing, so this is just speculation from playing some of their previous games.  I would say since this is a complete reboot of the game 1e will be completely kicked to the curb, with the exception of being able to transform their 1e ships to 2e with their refit kits that are going to be sold.  This year is likely the last tournaments that 1e will see, officially. 

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

FFG generally has a fairly big expanse of games being demoed. I'd expect to see L5R, SW: Destiny, Legion, and X-wing 2.0 in addition to a few board games of various stripes. I'll bet they'll have the new Cosmic Encounter edition. There may be a demo set up for the app version of Lord of the Rings. Usually there will be a couple of their newer boardgame releases as well, so maybe Fallout, Civilization, or something of that nature? I'd also expect them to have some sort of big game announcement at their seminar, followed by demos of that game appearing at their booth. Personally I'm hoping for either Arkham Horror board game 3.0, or Descent 3.0.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal cman811

cman811 wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I don't follow x-wing, so this is just speculation from playing some of their previous games.  I would say since this is a complete reboot of the game 1e will be completely kicked to the curb, with the exception of being able to transform their 1e ships to 2e with their refit kits that are going to be sold.  This year is likely the last tournaments that 1e will see, officially. 

Boo hiss!!
I really hate it when gaming companies do that, kick an older edition to the curb, to ONLY focus on the new..

Normal
Small

Boo hiss!! 
I really hate it when gaming companies do that, kick an older edition to the curb, to ONLY focus on the new..

Gaming companies exist to make money.  They do this by releasing new games & new editions of their popular games.  As I said before, there's no profit in demoing an older game because most people that were going to buy it have already done so.  They need a steady flow of people buying the latest & greatest so they can keep creating even newer games & editions.

If you want to play older editions, there's nothing stopping you from creating your own events (well, at least for next year, as the event submission deadline has passed), or getting pickup games going.  But don't expect companies to promote games that they are probably not going to even produce anymore.

As much as we may love events & other things about Gen Con, the central focus of the Con is the Exhibit Hall, whose existence is primarily about companies promoting their wares & making money doing so.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

But just because a new edition comes out, does NOT mean people all of a sudden stop buying anything of the older edition.. So keeping both in circulation, means people can buy both.. which would be a win for the company.  I've known other like myself, who stopped buying products from one company, all because they DID stop doing any support of older products, just because they pushed only the new stuff..

Normal
Small
Posted by frankx

Biggest hope is they still have 2.0 products into the weekend.  Schedule full till Saturday. 

Normal
Small
Posted by burrfoot72

I’m hoping to play/buy Heroes of Terrinoth.  Essentially the relaunch of the short lived much loved Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game in the world of Descent and Runebound.  Hopefully it will be well supported with much needed expansions without fear of losing a license.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

Last year they suddenly had TI 4th edition out of nowhere, so perhaps there will be another surprise offering this year. For X-wing, at least they are offering a conversion that lets players use all their 1e stuff in 2e. They did that for Descent and Mansions of Madness and it really helped me feel my investment in the earlier version wasn't a waste.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

I wouldn't say being told "Pay up 50+ bucks" for those conversion kits, is much of anything... 

Normal
Small
Posted by dekopuma

How many gaming companies continue to sell older editions of anything once a new version is released?

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric garhkal

garhkal wrote:
I wouldn't say being told "Pay up 50+ bucks" for those conversion kits, is much of anything... 
Wow, those are kind of expensive. Mansions of Madness 2e has the conversion kit included in the core box. I was hoping that was the new way of doing things.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.