True Dungeon Tokens
Normal
Small
Posted by mjhan300

Hey to all,

If I buy additional packs of tokens ahead of time from truedungeon.com/store, can I use these while I do my adventure? Still a little fuzzy about the use of the different tokens.

Any input would be appreciated!!

Normal
Small
Posted by mrwilson377

Yes you can use them except for the Viper pit. This is considered a sealed run and you can only use the ones you open on site at the time of your run. 

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce

The tokens work a lot like D&D gear.  You can equip 1 hat, 1 neck piece, 1 body armor, 1 pair of shoes, 2 rings, 2 earrings, 3 charms, 5 ioun stones, etc.  TD has more equipment slots defined than D&D.  There are a few tokens that have no slot defined so you can use as many as you'd like (torches, holy symbol, etc.)

When you show up to the event there will be a table with a laminated sheet for each player that contains a drawing of an adventurer with token sized circles in the legal slots to place each token you're equipping.  To use most of the tokens, just put them in the appropriate slot and the coach (prep area dungeon master basically) will come by and enter your stats on the party-wide character sheet (called party card generally).  One caveat is that the printout shows 3 ioun stone slots but you're actually allowed 5 if you have htem.

There are a few tools you can use to build essentially a character sheet using your tokens early if you wanted to (iOS/android app, excel file, website) that probably it's easier to ask about over on the truedungeon.com forums than here.  For your first time if you're purchasing a bag or 5 of tokens it probably isn't worthwhile, though you do get 1 bonus HP for doing it.

There are also some consumable tokens that you can hand to a DM inside the event (potions, enhanced ammunition, etc).

And just to reiterate what mrwilson377 pointed out, if you're doing the "Into the Viper's Pit - Sealed Quest", you're not allowed to bring in external tokens so probably you wouldn't want to buy anything yet.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

There are also plenty of booths in the dealer hall that sell individual True Dungeon tokens and should have anything specific you might be looking for.  Additionally, you can generally find quite a few True Dungeon fans around trading tokens.

Normal
Small
Posted by mjhan300

Thanks for all the info! My wife and I have played Pathfinder before (GenCon and home) and are up with the character sheets / stats. This is the first time we are trying a True Dungeon adventure. It sounds like fun and I hope we get into a decent group. I went ahead and purchased some additional tokens from the True Dungeon store so we have a little more gear to choose from when we start, and also to give us a head start to look at and evaluate the gear we have and how it relates to available classes.

Am I correct in saying that certain tokens are "consumables" and are given to the DM and not given back to me?

We are really looking forward to our adventure.

Normal
Small
Posted by cincinatas

Yes. Some tokens are consumables such as:

• Potions
  • Scrolls
  • Wands (Usually have 1-3 uses with the DM punching it after each use and taking it after the last charge has been used)
  • Ammo (Specialty bolts, sling bullets, arrows, shuriken, etc.)
  • Anything that explicitly states it is consumed on use or says "1/use"

I have always found plastic sandwich/snack bags for consumables and any tokens you may need to carry with you and have readily available for use (i.e. weapons) in the dungeon to be incredibly useful, both for retrieval and organization. It can get a little hectic in there due to the time constraints and the low lighting while great for atmosphere and theme are not so great for trying to remember which pocket you might have shoved your +1 Silver Short Sword into and which one of the tokens in the handful you pulled out it actually is.

That being said, I would highly, highly recommend going through your tokens ahead of time and sort out which ones you think might benefit you for at least three different classes you think you might want to play. The lighting is not very good in the prep rooms and the tokens can easily slip out of your grasp and/or off the table. Also, it is also good to try and pick out at least three different classes that might interest you or make sure you get there as early as possible (they will allow you into the prep room at least 15 minutes ahead of your actual start time) to make sure you can get a class you would like.

Hope you guys are able to have a great session!

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

@mjhan300 I hope you were able to sign up for one of the TD101 events. They have a lot of useful info for a first-timer, and you get a free token.  All of them are sold out now, but maybe they allow extra people if there’s space.

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage

For players new and old honestly take a look at  www.Truedungeon.com/resources 
The class cards are up there and all sorts of info about tokens.

The biggest thing is we finally have an updated Players Handbook! http://truedungeon.com/resources/item/100-players-handbook

Any other questions please ask, enough of us around, I'm just your friendly local training room coach (Viper this year).

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

I have tickets to Pandemonium and Back run.  What do I need?  I am pretty much a noob, having only done 1 run.

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage bushmaster

bushmaster wrote:
I have tickets to Pandemonium and Back run.  What do I need?  I am pretty much a noob, having only done 1 run.

Pandemonium is what used to be called True Grind, it isn't a 'story' run. It's a single physical room, usually with multiple combat boards. It's meant as a challenge. It does have it's own completion token but you only get 1 treasure chip, not 3 as in main/story dungeon and treasure enhancers do nothing. IF you like the idea of a TD hackfest then Pandemonium should be good times. 

Note for story dungeons there are several levels of difficulty, Non-lethal, normal, hardcore, nightmare, epic. Unless it's a unanimous agreement the default is normal which is meant to be played/survived with what you can pull out of packs (presuming some trading). Establishing teamwork is critical, i tell every group that passes through my training room (where you learn to actually play such as combat mechanics) time is your enemy, not the critter.

That said a common suggestion would be to look over the class cards and see what appeals to you. I tend to suggest for new players who want to have some tokens ahead of time to get a rare weapon/armor for every class (less than $20 of tokens), that way no matter what you play you have at least the basics. 

There are players who've spent $$$$$ on tokens (think legacy MTG budgets), as anyone starting out and especially on normal and even hardcore you really don't have to in order to enjoy the dungeon. 

Hope that helps, 

Normal
Small
Posted by mjhan300

@dkrantz152 We weren't able to sign up for a TD101 session. I did order up a couple "bags" each of items from the true dungeon store so we have a few more options to pick our classes. We plan to get there earlier than most, so we can pick a class that we want. We are definitely trying to avoid the classes that have any kind of "memorization" required for skill checks! That would not benefit the party!

This is the first year that I actually got picked for a VIG, (yay!!) but we decided against the VIG only TD runs as we were definitely afraid that we would get in with a very experienced group and be shunned or bullied by the more experienced players. We have been told that the experienced groups normally try to buy out an entire group. We are hoping that we are grouped in with other couples just there to have some fun!!

We are definitely looking forward to the event.

And yes, we have downloaded the class sheets, player guides and such and should be prepared, as all weary adventurers should be...

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce mjhan300

mjhan300 wrote:We are definitely trying to avoid the classes that have any kind of "memorization" required for skill checks! That would not benefit the party!

That's how I felt my first couple of times, then realized for the most part it isn't a huge deal.  Other than bard's monster lore check, failing a memorization isn't a hard fail.  Your spell still goes off, it just has 3 HP less impact (heal or harm) than it would have.  On level 0 wizard spells yeah, that's 50% of the damage, but it's not going to make or break a combat really. 

Even failing the monster lore check the party will probably be better off with the bonuses from bardsong than from entering the dungeon with no bard because people were worried about the skill check.

The key is just to pick your memorization answer quickly if you're in a combat room to keep the action moving along.  For the most part time is a more precious resource than HP (either damage given or taken) unless the damage dealers are overgeared for the difficulty level. 

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage aegoce

aegoce wrote:
mjhan300 wrote:We are definitely trying to avoid the classes that have any kind of "memorization" required for skill checks! That would not benefit the party!

That's how I felt my first couple of times, then realized for the most part it isn't a huge deal.  Other than bard's monster lore check, failing a memorization isn't a hard fail.  Your spell still goes off, it just has 3 HP less impact (heal or harm) than it would have.  On level 0 wizard spells yeah, that's 50% of the damage, but it's not going to make or break a combat really. Even failing the monster lore check the party will probably be better off with the bonuses from bardsong than from entering the dungeon with no bard because people were worried about the skill check.
The key is just to pick your memorization answer quickly if you're in a combat room to keep the action moving along.  For the most part time is a more precious resource than HP (either damage given or taken) unless the damage dealers are overgeared for the difficulty level. 

Agree, 3 points isn't going to make a break the combat, the 30-45sec trying to remember can mean another round of combat, far more valuable. 

I don't play caster but that's more due to reasons.. There's a druid out there way too familiar with lightning in water for me to ever by comfortable playing one.

Time and group cooperation/chemistry matter far more. Nightmare aside you'd be surprised how little you 'need'. Red (rare) armor and a +1 weapon can work quite a bit. I like stuff like the +1 Shillelagh from last year, it's a +1 weapon usable by every class.   

The most important factor i try to tell folks that tickets are pricey and the goal is to have a good time.  

Normal
Small
Posted by cinnibar

Of all the classes I recommend leaving Rogue to someone with the physical dexterity to do it well.  The others are all shuffleboard and memorization to get more than average effect on your spells.  The Rogue gets clues and/or tokens and only if they don't mess up their one chance at the dexterity game they get for such rooms.

Normal
Small
Posted by persiandragoon

Wands this year became one use per room. No more limited uses. 

You can goto true dungeon forums and look for your other party members there. Try to anyways. 

Normal
Small
Posted by mjhan300

I received in the additional tokens of bags very promptly after I ordered them from truedungeon.com/store. I am a bit of a collector so I ordered a few more bags, lol. I am also one of those people that love opening up "booster packs" for deck building games, so I am all in for the token bags. Trying to get another weapon or 2 to prebuild a few classes.

My wife and I are really looking forward to the adventure!

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage persiandragoon

persiandragoon wrote:
Wands this year became one use per room. No more limited uses. 
You can goto true dungeon forums and look for your other party members there. Try to anyways. 

New wands from this year forward are, the old ones are still consumable.

Good news you can basically buy a stack of wands for expected rounds of combat and know you're set for the dungeon. 

Normal
Small
Posted by mjhan300

So they say that you get a bag of tokens when you start. Is it a bag full of random items or is it prebuilt to guarantee that you have some basic items (like a weapon or wands).

Being a collector also, I really don't like having to "give up" one of my tokens that I paid for, lol. I guess I'll have to buy more.

Also, when we check in at the event, do they have a store that we can visit prior to our adventure to get an item that we really want?

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage mjhan300

mjhan300 wrote:
So they say that you get a bag of tokens when you start. Is it a bag full of random items or is it prebuilt to guarantee that you have some basic items (like a weapon or wands).
Being a collector also, I really don't like having to "give up" one of my tokens that I paid for, lol. I guess I'll have to buy more.
Also, when we check in at the event, do they have a store that we can visit prior to our adventure to get an item that we really want?

True Adventures itself sells booster packs, (think mtg/pokemon). Only singles you'd get from them are the bonuses you get by making various orders. Example if you spend 250 you get to pick any one Ultra Rare (UR) from last year or this year as a bonus gimmer, bonuses go up from there.

Note as a coach if the party is missing weapons there is a stack of gimme/basic common weapons for situations where a new player/party didn't pull a weapon for the ranger/whatever. It's rare but it happens, notify your coach and it'll be handled.

There are singles dealers and backpack traders that'll setup shop around the storyscape (area around and outside the dungeon before you goto coaching) if you're looking for singles. Fair few us also gather to trade (think open trading of magic/ccg singles or the phrase can i look through your tradestuff/binder philosophy). 

I recommend especially for new players who get the token bug (there's a reason we call ourselves tokenholics) to play and get a feel for what you like to do. A handful of stat buffs come in handy and remember for any conditional you'll have to remember it and even if it's relevant in a given dungeon/year. I've shifted my main class a few times and some stuff i've bought and never used once. A handful of red/rare weapons and armor that cover majority of the classes gives you some flexibility. Example, several +1 weapons that are good for all classes runs less than 2 bucks each. Armor you'd need a few different to coverall classes but still in the several dollar, not 10's of $$ category.

That said there's something about scratching that itch of cracking packs..

Normal
Small
Posted by mjdomask mjhan300

Answers below:

Is it a bag full of random items or is it prebuilt to guarantee that you have some basic items (like a weapon or wands).

Random. The exact same packs you buy form TD online. That said, the coaches in the rooms have some extra common weapons and armor to make sure no one goes in 100% unequipped.

No singles sold by TD. Visit the dealers hall or find people trading for tokens. There are several online stores (and maybe dealers hall stores?) that sell full builds with a mix of C/UC/Rare tokens for about $30-40. Here's an example:
https://www.tdtavern.com/char-fighter.html 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post