Generic Tickets- Purchase at the con or Will Call?
Normal
Small
Posted by cmwiegand

So, I totally spaced and forgot to buy any generic tickets when I registered for events!

Here is my question- I will be arriving to Indy sometime Thursday morning, would it be less of a hassle to buy them now and pick them up at Will Call?  Or should I just buy them at the Con?

I had all my other tickets mailed to me, so I don't currently have anything to pick up at Will Call.  I know that the Will Call line tends to move pretty fast, but I also know that it gets looooooooong!

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

It's not difficult to buy generic tickets at the convention.  You probably don't want to do it during the big Will Call rush on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning though.

If you buy them now, then at the Will Call line you just show your ID and they give you your tickets.  If not, the transaction is a little more complex because you have to bring money and the tickets are printed on the spot.  But it is not MUCH more complicated.

Normal
Small
Posted by san_fan_49

Didn't they start doing multiple places you could buy tickets/generics?

Like i thought last year there was a spot in the card gaming hall for that.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

If i know i have slots open, i get the generics ahead of time i pick up with my badge/other tickets..  If its "i;ve now got an open slot, because my event didn't run, i buy a generic or two at the con from one of the booths..

Normal
Small
Posted by darkranger65

If I cancel an event (For example:3 zombiecide tickets for $24 total)at the will call booth, can i receive generic tickets instead of  a refund for the same amount?

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke darkranger65

darkranger65 wrote:If I cancel an event (For example:3 zombiecide tickets for $24 total)at the will call booth, can i receive generic tickets instead of  a refund for the same amount?

Yes, but there is a 5% fee to return tickets, so the refund would be $22.80, which is enough to buy 11 generic tickets and $0.80 back as system credit or cash money, baby!

And, it would be at the Customer Service booth, not Will Call.

Or, without returning them, you could use the Zombicide tickets themselves as generic tickets for any events; but, there is no change if the event is less than $8 ticket.

Normal
Small
Posted by darkranger65

So I could use them as $24 worth of generic tickets? That would be great

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer darkranger65

darkranger65 wrote:
So I could use them as $24 worth of generic tickets? That would be great

With caveats.  You can only use them at one event each, and you don't get change.  So, if you have 3 people, and you attend a $2 event, you can use one $8 ticket to cover the three of you, and lose $2 on the deal, and you'll still have 2 tickets left over.  Or, attend a $6 event, use one ticket each, and lose $6 on the deal.

A better option is that you could also return the Zombicide tickets for system credit, then use the credit to buy just the amount of generic tickets you need.  Tickets returned for system credit do not incur the 5% fee.  Any credit you have left over can be used next year.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke darkranger65

darkranger65 wrote:So I could use them as $24 worth of generic tickets? That would be great

Yes, exactly. The only other downside is that, by not returning them, people won't know there are available slots for the game. However, that might not matter if it's a popular game and people will show up with their own generics. You can also let the GM know you won't be there if the event includes their contact information.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:Tickets returned for system credit do not incur the 5% fee.

That is incorrect; all returns now carry the 5% fee. (Online returns for system credit before the June 17 deadline didn't though.)

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

Ahh, it says “refunds” incur the fee, I took that to mean actual cash/CC refunds, not system credit.  Still, my point stands, unless he finds an $8 event, he’ll be better off returning the tickets. As you pointed out, that will also open those slots.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Yes, good advice.

Normal
Small
Posted by [email protected]

I always buy a few after I arrive and pick up my packet. Easy to do. If you skip or miss any of your events, I learned least year that those tickets turn into generics moving forward, too (no one else showed up to one of my board games) and indeed, I had no trouble using the past event's ticket as a generic later. Good lesson learned!!

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 san_fan_49

san_fan_49 wrote:
Didn't they start doing multiple places you could buy tickets/generics?
Like i thought last year there was a spot in the card gaming hall for that.

Yes - they sell generics in the TCG area by Magic the Gathering - that's where I would go if I needed some generics.  There is rarely a line.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.